Would you recommend purchasing an out-of-warranty 30" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by suburbia, Nov 10, 2008.

1. suburbia macrumors 6502

...out-of-warranty 30" ACD worth purchasing? Or just too much of a risk without Applecare? I would never consider not purchasing Applecare for a notebook or desktop, but is a display a different story?

Any input/advise would be greatly appreciated:)

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Only if you could get the 30" for dirt cheap.. but otherwise no.

3. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input: There are quite a few people selling their out-of-warranty 30-inchers for $1,300.00 - $1,400.00 (CAD)... Simply greedy or clueless, I suppose.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ that's alot, I saw a few with warranty for the same price points.

5. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

The better deals are always to be had from US sellers generally. Since I'm in Canada, shipping and customs fees would make getting a used ACD not worth it. Canadian sellers are always asking too much for a used ACD.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I would agree with your take on it- but remember they are actually not selling them for that much probably- just offering them for those prices and keeping their fingers crossed! ;)

7. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

8. Esrb99 macrumors member

I got a new one yesterday with a student discount for $1599...

9. suburbia thread starter macrumors 6502

Totally understand everyone would like to recoup as much as possible from an investment. However, when your set price is still quite high for an eBay auction, and the ACD is out of warranty-- there's not much of an incentive to go for it as a buyer.

One more thing, a refurbished ACD doesn't seem to be such a great deal: You're only saving a little over a hundred dollars and you're more than likely to be getting a display with dead pixels?

I think I'm best just getting a brand new ACD-- no deals to be had when you live in Canada ;)

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I can understand that! I finally broke down and brought a new one home from the Apple store about 3 months ago myself. It was painful at first, but when I set it up on my desktop and powered up I instantly forgot about that and have never looked back! ;)

BTW- Applecare on it is $99 in the U.S. anyways if you are planning to get that.

11. nevisbound macrumors newbie

nevisbound

No. IMHO.

I've seen too many problems with used monitors. Especially big ones. Just the shipping or moving it alone will be expensive and could damage something.

You are paying a lot of money in absolute terms, big saving vs new notwithstanding. Why put all of your money at risk on a bum used monitor.

Just wait and get one new or on sale when you are able.