Would you say no to iAds? (formerly say no to iAds)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by miamijim, Apr 5, 2011.

1. miamijim, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

miamijim macrumors 6502

If it were possible to block iAds with something such as Ad Blocker would you use it?

I for one do not want advertisements popping up at me when I use my iPad.

Seriously if I want something I will go buy it, I do not need to be told about whilst I am doing something else...

Please someone develop iAdBlocker quick.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is such a thing, it exists on jailbroken iDevices and I use it.

3. ppilone macrumors 6502

Stop downloading the free, iAd-supported versions of an app.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd rather see an entertaining and interesting iAd versus a normal pop up super pixelated banner, if ads have to be there.

I like Apple's thinking in this regard. If the app has to have apps in it, they might as well be engaging.

5. Stovepiper macrumors member

While I agree with your sentiment, I can't remember the last time I saw one of these adds on my iPad or iPhone. For apps that I use regularly, it's worth the buck or two to get an ad-free version.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I have no problem with iADs. They are actually entertaining and I appreciate that.

7. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

They don't just pop up all willy nilly like you make it sound. They pop up in free versions of applications (and some paid versions). It's up to the developer to implement them wherever they see fit. All Apple did is make the ads easier to make in a better quality that load faster.

If you don't want to see ads, buy full versions of the apps.

8. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Yes - it's called paying for apps. If you don't want to pay, the apps have to be supported in other ways. The easiest is advertisers buying ad space.

9. miamijim thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong I have purchased most of my Apps as full versions...

I think I just may have a problem with advertising in general, it rubs me the wrong way.

I got rid of my TV 4 years ago as I could not stand the advertisements anymore
    and now I only watch series in Box Set form.

I suppose I am a bit of a prick in some regards, if I am in a shop and a sales assistant approaches me I generally will not buy from that store.

I used to work where we were told to fill quotas, basically the customer was a mark and we had to get their money out of their pockets into our tills, it left me with a funny taste in my mouth all the time.

10. Stovepiper macrumors member

*internet high five*

I pretty much gave up live TV years ago and wouldn't even have cable if it wasn't for the wife. I can't stand commercials and refuse to watch TV with them. Netflix and torrents all the way.

11. ani23 macrumors 6502

How do you expect developers of free apps to make money

12. JeffLebowski41 macrumors regular

that, and they are very easy to back out of if hit by accident. Certainly works better than the old google ads that would kick you out of the app . Ads are sometimes a necessary evil, and at least this isn't a very disruptive implementation.

13. shandyman Suspended

haha really???

ads have been in apps for a long time, iAds just means theyr're not obtrusive or annoying, they're just a banner you then tap if interested, they don't 'pop up' at you randomly, unlike some apps that have ads that aren't iAds that just ruin the experience and even crash the app, so personally i'd prefer iAds over the annoying old ads

14. JeffLebowski41 macrumors regular

the entitled kids on here don't think about that. they are too busy worrying about whether their screen is bleeding, or if there is a hairline scratch on the back that can be seen if they hold the ipad just right in 12 o clock sun.

15. miamijim thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally I don't see the point in developing free apps.

If an app is worth developing and it is worth using then it will be worth paying for, therefore free apps are just generally junk taking up space.

Developers should ask themselves am I producing something people need, if so then I can sell it. Or am I developing something nobody will pay for therefore what is the point of wasting my time.

If it's worth buying and the reviews are good then people will buy it.

16. shandyman Suspended

lol really?? that's a bit of an absurd extreme!! i'm not a fan of ads, but sometimes no choice, usually i start watching something about 20 minutes late so i can fastforward thru ads on my Sky plus (think you americans have something similar, tivo or something?). not a problem when watching the BBC channels as no ads on that.

but really, you never watch live TV? no sport? no live music events? wow your TV viewing really must be limited....

17. shandyman Suspended

really? so free apps like the BBC iPlayer, facebook, twitter, skype, shazam, apple's remote, last.fm, the sky _ app, orange wednesday (a uk app that gives you 2 for 1 cinema tickets), subway card app, ebay, dominos app, amazon, google earth, wikipedia app, bbc news, sky news, dropbox and find my iphone are all junk? or that should be charged for? i'll give you the fact that BBC are not allowed to charge for their apps in the UK, but still.

18. miamijim thread starter macrumors 6502

BBc iPlayer is funded by licence fee.
    Facebook is funded by a 50Billion Valuation
    Twitter is free but people would pay 1 or 2 € if they were asked
    Skype is funded as they sell phone time.

Every app you have mentioned is funded as a loss leader from a larger company. Others that are not funded on your list are worth paying a couple of € for.

19. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

iAdBlocker already exists...it's called iPayForApps.

In all seriousness though, I own an iPod Touch and an iPad, use both non stop and have over 100 apps installed on each, and I have never seen an iAd. Seriously, not one. I've seen advertisements on several apps, but not an iAd. So for me it's pretty irrelevant.

20. gatearray macrumors 65816

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

21. shandyman Suspended

I did say already that the iPlayer is funded by licence fee, so gave you that one. plus there's already an argument about UK users when abroad will have to pay to use it outside the UK...

you kind of proved my point tho, there are TONS of free apps that are not junk. if any of them were to start charging there would be a ruckus, look at when Skype threatened to start charging for using it over 3G. that in itself proves you wrong.

22. ani23 macrumors 6502

Tell that to the folks at google

23. miamijim thread starter macrumors 6502

My point was that if a free app was worthwhile it was worth paying for, therefore if it's not worth paying for it's junk. and not needed.

As for people who would cause a ruckus, well they would soon stop complaining, if they really wanted the app they would pay for it.... people just love to complain.

24. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I don't think I've seen a single iAd yet. It seems to me the whole iAd thing is more or less dead in the water. It's been a turd ever since Steve gleefully announced it.

All the ads I see are AdMob primarily. And yes, any and all ads are annoying as all hell. What's even worse is when you PAY for an app and they still see fit to hit you with advertising. Very crappy. :mad:

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No ads = you'll have to pay money for the software.

Plus, block iAds, people will just go back to the stupid intrusive bad Google ads.