Would you say that with a Google Voice and iPod touch, you don't even need a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by piatti, Nov 3, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

Google Voice is free in US and Canada, has free voice mail, and you can get it for free as long as you have a Pinger app to make a phone number to register for the GV and take the confirmation call to the same number on the iPod touch.

So wouldn't this mean that you don't really need to shell out hundreds of dollars over a contract to have a phone service, since there are wifi everywhere in such places as Starbucks, Panera Bread, Whole Foods, McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, etc?

My family has iPhone 4s and I'm trying to persuade them to stop the $200 worth of phone bill per month by switching over to Google Voice. They are thinking of switching to iPhone 5 but I am trying to persuade them that they should get the iPod touch 5.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Good luck when you are in need to call 911 lost somewhere there is no wifi! If it was that easy everyone would have switched to google voice! I have google voice, and it is pretty much for international when I'm overseas.

3. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Is there pay as you go phone that you could use for emergency situation?

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea I'm sure ere is, but why hassle? Why would someone like to carry around a dumb phone and an ipod touch for google voice calls? :confused: does not make any sense!

5. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Terrible and dangerous idea, until wifi has 100% coverage

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's nuts.
    So you're telling them all to not have cellphones any more and rely only to make and receive calls and messages when connected to wifi?
    Talk about cheapskate:D

7. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

We spend most time in places that have wifi anyways, the only places that we wouldn't have access to phone would be in stores without wifi or when driving, and even then if we need to call quick we could stop by in nearest McD, etc. for wifi.

8. swains.mate macrumors newbie

Honestly?

You honestly think this is a good idea? That totally defeats the purpose of a cell phone IMO. Honestly that is like relying on payphones.

Does your family not own/drive cars? If not, do they not use public transportation?

What happens when someone wants to call you? And you are out, driving, at the mall, and not at mcdonalds. You go from having ultimate convenience to absolutely jack ****. Its actually laughable.

If your worried about money, do what I did, set up your iphone on page plus. Or oen of the other prepaid companies, smart talk, simple, metro, etc..

I have my iphone 4 on page plus for 29.99. 3000 text 1200 minutes 100mg for 29.99 no tax. Next month it changes to 250mg. I leave my data off until I need to use it, and use wifi data when I can. I have been with page plus for a few years now and its ****in aweseome. I always help my friends activate their old verizon iphones on page plus. Its like a secret hidden gem.

Aside from having to locate wifi hotspots (not all of which are free) and having no 911 access when you need it, you have to deal with ****** wifi connections.

Google voice via wifi only absolutely does not replace a cell phone. It does however give your ipod touch a hint of phone like capabilities. If you sit at home all day or eat big macs all day and can deal with ****** viop quality calls, by all means your family should go for it. I am sure they will thank you for this great advice ;)