Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
A colleague at work has offered to buy my iPhone 5 at the going rate as his original iPhone has finally died.

I was going to wait for the iPhone 6, but I don't know if I should either put him off and lose a definite sale or take him up on the offer and get a 5S now?

Would the going rate now be higher for selling an iPhone 5 than when the iPhone 6 appears?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
the iPhone 5 is discontinued and will be even older when the 6 comes out. It won't ever go up in value, so sell it immediately.

Yeah, but then your without a phone for, what, 6 months?

It has nowhere to go but down in value, but unless you have a backup phone you can fall back onto for 6 months until the iPhone 6 comes out, your going to be phoneless.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Would you sell your iPhone 5 in these circumstances?

so what the hell is this thread for then?

if you want to wait for the 6 wait. If you don't, don't. we can't help you there.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
so what the hell is this thread for then?

if you want to wait for the 6 wait. If you don't, don't. we can't help you there.

I am trying to ascertain if I will get a better price selling it now or to hold off?

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Again: the iPhone 5 is not going to increase in value. It is getting old. You won't lose much money if you wait 6 months to sell, but you will most likely make more money if you sell it today.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The iPhone 5 will lose value between now and when the 6 comes out, though that is still a relatively long time away.

7 months without a phone isn't worth it - unless you think buying a 5s would be a useful upgrade, I would just hold out as it doesn't make much sense to sell now.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Moving from a 5 to a 5S is an incremental step up only. It's not like you'll make enough off the sale of the 5 to buy the 5S so I would wait for the 6.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Again: the iPhone 5 is not going to increase in value. It is getting old. You won't lose much money if you wait 6 months to sell, but you will most likely make more money if you sell it today.

Right. If you sell today you'll get more money but be without a phone for 6 months. What you need to determine is if the difference between what you'd sell it for now vs. in 6 months is worth being without a phone for that long. IMO it's not. Keep the phone. Wait for the iPhone 6.

If you're worried about getting the most for it later in the year I would sell it as soon as there's some fairly reliable speculation on when the invites for the iPhone 6 reveal will go out but before they're actually sent. That would typically be very late August or very early September. The phone will drop faster in value once the iPhone 6 is actually announced and revealed.

I'm sure you'll find actual numbers in older threads. I even remember seeing articles detailing trade-in values before and after launch. Here's one I found with a quick Google search, I can't really vouch for the accuracy...

http://www.zdnet.com/used-iphone-prices-drop-20-percent-after-an-announcement-7000019454/

Last edited:

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Why would the "going rate" for an old model increase after a new model comes out? :confused:

Just to clarify, as I seem not to have explained myself very well so far.

Would the iPhone 5 lose much in price if I held off from selling it now, or would the price not be that different if I waited until the 6 appears?

In other words does the iPhone deprecate quite slowly compared to other devices?

In the past I have had some Android devices that I have sold on and they seem to depreciate really rapidly.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Keep the iPhone 5 and sell it when the 6 comes out. Unless you've got a decent backup phone, then you can just fall back on that until the 6 is available.

Alternatively, if you are interested in checking out Android, sell your iPhone 5, pick up a Nexus 5 and use it until the iPhone 6 comes out. :eek:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Seems you should sell. Fact that you are considering it proves you don't really need your iphone. I'll sell mine two weeks before the next iphone if I am interested in upgrading.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I would hold on to it until the 6 then get that and sell it then you will be getting less for it and it might be a harder sell but you'll have the 6.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Would the going rate now be higher for selling an iPhone 5 than when the iPhone 6 appears?

As others have mentioned, yes. Most of the folks buying a 5 after the 6 comes out are looking to buy for pennies on the dollar. Sell it now and get your 5s. Don't fall into the trap of waiting for the next big unannounced thing.

Yeah, but then your without a phone for, what, 6 months?

Right. If you sell today you'll get more money but be without a phone for 6 months.

OP clearly said he would sell and buy a 5s now.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I understand the difficult spot you are in! You want to know what would lose you more money:

1. Sell your iPhone 5 now, get an iPhone 5S, sell your iPhone 5S when the 6 is released and buy the 6
2. Keep the iPhone 5, sell the iPhone 5 when the 6 is released and buy the 6

I would definitely go with option 2. Between now and 6 months your iPhone 5 will not lose as much value (in pure money) as an iPhone 5S would, because the 5 lost most of its value the last 1,5 year already.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
OP clearly said he would sell and buy a 5s now.

Well, with that pointed out, hold onto it! You bought it a year/year and a half ago for $650+ (I count subsidies) and by reselling it now you will lose $200+ to buy a new iPhone for $650+ which you'll just resell in 6 months at a loss of $150+ to buy the new iPhone for $650+.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I am trying to ascertain if I will get a better price selling it now or to hold off?

You're not going to get a higher price if you hold off. Who know in a few months you might drop it, wash it, or lose it. Or the new one is released and this one is officially two generations behind.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UK
I understand the difficult spot you are in! You want to know what would lose you more money:

1. Sell your iPhone 5 now, get an iPhone 5S, sell your iPhone 5S when the 6 is released and buy the 6
2. Keep the iPhone 5, sell the iPhone 5 when the 6 is released and buy the 6

I would definitely go with option 2. Between now and 6 months your iPhone 5 will not lose as much value (in pure money) as an iPhone 5S would, because the 5 lost most of its value the last 1,5 year already.

Thanks for that. That's a good point that the 5 probably lost the majority of its value when the 5S appeared and now it's probably depreciating much more slowly.

Can I just ask supplementally do different models of the 5 depreciate differently, my one is a 64GB version which I imagine is less common than the other two versions so would this help it depreciate more slowly?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can I just ask supplementally do different models of the 5 depreciate differently, my one is a 64GB version which I imagine is less common than the other two versions so would this help it depreciate more slowly?
Generally, no. You actually get more resale value (as a percentage of original phone cost) with the 16GB model.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op i would keep the iPhone until the 6th one is released you will get about the same for it as long as the condition stays the same. i still use my launch day iPhone 5 still feels super fast.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
If you don't sell it, I'll have an AT&T model but is factory unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 slate for sale within the first week or so in April. I was thinking $400-$450 from what I saw on eBay. Has been in a case with a screen protector on it since day one and looks brand new.

Me personally, I'd probably buy a 16GB iPhone 5s for now if I sold the 5 to him, and then resell the 5s after I got the 6 to avoid any time without a phone, though the resale value will take a dip, but at least you'll have something to use in the mean time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.