Would you split with the party over a terrible candidate

Would you vote for a joke candidate

• Conservative - voting Trump

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Conservative - voting other

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Liberal - would vote for Kanye West (D)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Liberal - voting other

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
UK
So I'm curious. Would liberals vote for the Democratic Party in 2020 if Hilary only does one term and Kanye West is the candidate? Especially if the Republicans have someone fairly solid - say Romney again.

Kanye seems fairly similar to Trump, misogynist, thin skinned, loves a twitter rant. Never held a political office, thinks he's the greatest person in the universe.

And are Conservatives voting for Trump this time?

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
So I'm curious. Would liberals vote for the Democratic Party in 2020 if Hilary only does one term and Kanye West is the candidate? Especially if the Republicans have someone fairly solid - say Romney again.

Kanye seems fairly similar to Trump, misogynist, thin skinned, loves a twitter rant. Never held a political office, thinks he's the greatest person in the universe.

And are Conservatives voting for Trump this time?
Way too soon to ask me that question. There is no platform or policies nor do we know who the other candidates would be. For instance, (God help us) what if it were Trump vs. Kanye?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I would never vote for Kanye West, nor his wife for that matter.

MadeTheSwitch said:
For instance, (God help us) what if it were Trump vs. Kanye?
If anything could put a third-party candidate in the White House, it would be that match-up.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Way too soon to ask me that question. There is no platform or policies nor do we know who the other candidates would be. For instance, (God help us) what if it were Trump vs. Kanye?
I was thinking Kanye vs Romney or something.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
After the abuse that her family has taken over her husband's presidency, I doubt very seriously Michele would want to work her way up through the political network to be a presidential candidate. Look at all the nonsense that is being thrown at another woman who is attempting that route – unless Michelle is truly driven I cannot see her choosing that.

In any case with respect to this thread, my answer is it depends on what the best way of minimising damage to the country is. Honestly I am not particularly happy with either party now, but what I see in the GOP right now scares the bejesus out of me: evangelicals wanting to foist their morals on everybody; rich people trying to hoard as much wealth as they can; the unhinged people of the Tea Party; Ted Cruz's mere existence; and now the dangerous populism of Trump. Meanwhile, centrist and rationalist politicians in the GOP are being sidelined. I would only consider voting for a GOP candidate now if they ejected all the extremists. Right now they pander to them and whip them up into a dangerous, ignorance-worshipping mob.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If Trump wins and Kanye West runs in 2020, I will quit my job and go full time trying to re-elect Trump.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Blind party loyalty strikes me as intellectual (and ethical and moral) laziness of the first order. Every adult voter has a responsibility to evaluate each candidate based upon their suitability to perform the duties of the office for which they are running.

The OP gave us a couple of hypothetical choices, to which I'd like to add one more: Bruce Springsteen. I generally find myself in almost total agreement with Springsteen's expressed political and social opinions. I have great respect and admiration for his work as an artist and as a human being.

But if Bruce Springsteen (for whatever reason) was nominated for President of the United States as a Democrat in 2024 - I would make my voting choice based on the relative qualifications of whoever was on the Republican ticket. If candidate Springsteen was running against a moderate Republican (say Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio) - I would probably end up voting for the Republican, based entirely on their considerably greater experience and record of public service. Even though I might agree on more political and social issues with Mr Springsteen - I believe that the country as a whole would be better served by electing an experienced political leader, rather than a celebrity.

I hope Bruce Springsteen never runs for President. And I'm highly confident that he would never put decent Americans in the position of having to make such a choice.