Would you still buy the iPad 3 with no Retina display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MultiMediaWill, Jan 3, 2012.

?

Would you still buy the iPad 3 with no Retina display?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

If the iPad 3 has no Retina Display and only has better cameras and a faster processor, would you still buy the iPad 3?

2. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I don't see the point - what are the things you need to be upgraded on a tablet?

Processor? No, the iPad 2 is more than adequate for 99% of the consumer
    Cameras? No, even if the cameras are improved, how many of us takes pictures with our iPads?
    Design? I don't think anyone is unhappy with the designer, maybe a little lighter would be nice but that's about it
    SIRI? I'll talk to my phone but I don't think I'll talk to my tablet

The only REAL upgrade that's worth anything is the retina display. Unless they do a 7" ipad - which I would LOVE but highly doubt they will make one.

3. Liquinn Suspended

True, the retina display on my iPod touch 4g makes my iPad 1 screen look like a brick.

But hmmm... I may upgrade if it doesn't have a retina display, it depends I guess; an A6 chip/processor would be nice as well though :)

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Personally i think the screen on the iPad is fantastic anyway and for most users it gives no problems

We have just got a iPad 2 over Xmas and love it

I am tempted to lay off our second one and grab a 3 when it's out but i don't think we will see much more than

:D - iPhone 4s type camera
    :D - Possibly lighter
    :D - More ram and possibly a better chip

Anything else would be a shocker

5. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

The retina display is why I WOULD upgrade from my original iPad 1 3G. I now subscribe to several magazines and newspapers on my iPad, and the clearer text in small sizes is important to me.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i can do everything I want with my iPad1 right now.

Reading pdf's with graphs and pictures in them would be the only thing that could be improved and that would really matter to me.

So I will only upgrade if they put a retina display (or whatever they call it) in the iPad3.

In addition I would hope for some other improvements like better (louder) speakers, more memory (128GB), better Wifi reception, 4G with support for T-Mobile please, LED notification light (will never come i know), usb port(will never come i know), SD card slot (will never come i know) and tons of software improvements that will never come like a real open file system........

7. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I'm still thrilled with my iPad 2. I don't think I will be in the market for a new tablet when iPad 3 comes out.

8. matt90036 macrumors regular

i won't upgrade no matter what iPad 3 will be. I will simply wait for iPad 4. however if I did upgrade then retina or not it would not matter to me. what would make a difference would be an iPad twice the thickness (bigger battery) and OSX with 10 hours battery life.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No

I have a hard time believing a retina iPad can be affordable to consumers, same price point, and profitable for Apple. So not holding my breath.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Maybe i have horrible eyesight (although last doctor told me my eyes are as close to perfect as they could get) or just am not looking at the right thing, however i never saw a difference apart from maybe the icons on the screen being a tad sharper.

11. number84 macrumors 6502

I'm kinda hoping it doesn't have a retina display so I'm not tempted to upgrade...haha.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes. I have waited this long to buy an iPad so I will wait for the 3 and get some flavor of it, regardless of whether it has a retina display or not.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's highly unlikely IMHO.

The current SoC isn't likely capable of driving the 'Retina' resolution with the same quality and speed we have now. So it also needs upgrading.

The profit margin, and cost effectiveness for Retina is questionable, Retina + major SOC innovation just seems way out there.

I'm not expecting more than effectively an iPad 2S with enhancements under the hood, new SOC A6 (A5.5) and other tweaks but basically the same physically and display-resolution.
    Maybe 28nm. Maybe 40.
    Maybe quad-core but I don't believe it's necessary.
    Definitely new GPU.
    Most likely upgrade to CortexA15 derived CPU.

14. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Let's not forget that the iPhone 4 didn't get any upgrades in terms of graphical power, so I expect it's not a necessity for Apple to add more graphical power.

15. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

To be honest, same here.

16. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Nope. Ipad 2 was just purchased on refurb. If the new one has no retina, they dont get my money again.

17. LeeM macrumors 6502a

I'd say it's your eyes. The retina display alone was what made me upgrade from a 3GS. They're worlds apart.
    Retina display is the only thing that would make me consider getting rid of the iPad 2.

18. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

It would still be a great upgrade to my ipad 1...

19. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

I dont see myself even upgrading from my iPad 1 right now, retina or not.

I'll probably be upgrading to the iPhone 5 once that comes out. I qualify for an upgrade in November so I'll have a good idea if I want to spend the money on that by then.

for now I guess I will have to "make do" with my iPhone 4s, iPad 1 and BB Playbook for my mobile device needs :cool:

20. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

I'm not going to buy any smartphone or tablet that does not have the equivalent of a Retina Display. I know it seems spoiled or whatever, but I really can't use my iPad (first gen) anymore because the display just sucks compared to my iPhone(well, and it's slow as crap). And it's not just the resolution that's important, but the way the glass and screen are like laminated together or whatever is happening there, that makes the screen just stunning.

I might not even buy another macbook or iMac that doesn't have a retina display.

21. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

22. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Did you make the same mistake that I did and 'upgrade' to iOS 5 ?

23. soxfanreggie macrumors regular

Considering I have the iPad 1 and was waiting for the three, what will draw me to the iPad 3 even without Retina display is:

1.) Increased battery life - #2 factor, although have been very happy with iPad 1 battery life.
    2.) Faster processor - #1 factor
    3.) Better camera
    4.) Siri - would be nice to have (but not a 'need' to have) since I won't get a new iPhone until the 5 comes out

It also depends on the price. I would also be giving my iPad 1 to my parents or donating it to a school, so that's either something they would love to use or a tax deduction.

But you know if it's in the 3, it will definitely be in the 4 if you decide to get that.

24. HardTalk macrumors newbie

There are a lot of people who don't have an iPad, so for them, this question is a no-brainer. I'm waiting for the iPad 3 and I'll get it regardless :D