Would you support a face-to-face meeting between Trump and Kim Jong Un?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, May 3, 2017.

?

Would you support a face-to-face meeting between President Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un?

Poll closed May 15, 2017.
  1. Only if it involves carnitas tacos

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Only if kimchi burritos are on the lunch menu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't do it Donald, just don't….

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Yes! With Dennis Rodman acting as moderator-referee

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Only if Donald gives away The Midget as a gift for Kim to take home

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but normally you'd want a whole lot of normal diplomatic meetings between the lower rungs of government before such a meeting would occur.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Would it solve anything?

Is it in the realm of possibility that Kim Jong Un will slap his forehead, and say "Gosh, Donnie, you're right! I will put an end to my nuclear and missile programs tomorrow. And schedule free and open elections next year!"

Does that seem even remotely possible? Does anything positive come out of that sort of meeting?

It does not. All that such a meeting would do would be to serve as a propaganda opportunity to shore up North Korea's regime. Which is desperate for attention and prestige. Like they were so desperate for when former President Bill Clinton flew there to secure the release of two American journalists.

A face-to-face meeting with the President of the United States gives prestige and credibility to whoever is in attendance. And Kim Jong Un is a murderous tyrant, one who has flouted international law at every opportunity.

So: No. There is nothing to be gained, and a tremendous amount to be lost. Never play a game where there is no chance of winning.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I support it in general, but at very strict conditions, and not in the US or North Korea.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm all for doing it on our home turf.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Because Trump folds like a lawn chair every time he is face to face with a world leader. Nieto, Jinping, Netanyahu, Merkel, Putin. He hasn't stood up to any of them; he's never been able to repeat his tough talk on twitter to their face. He's too weak of a negotiator.

If anyone was to negotiate with KJU, and I'm not joking here, the government should deputize a special ambassador to go in and negotiate on the US's behalf. Someone who is not a political appointment, has no interest in ever being a political appointment, someone not from the military, and who is known to be a very good negotiator. Likely it would be a business leader or an academic.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

When has Trump been face to face with Putin? Has that happened as President, or at all? And in what way does Trump need to "stand up" to Netanyahu? How did he "fold" to these people.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It's a neat idea but it wouldn't work. North Korea won't talk seriously to anyone who's not seen as a high profile member of the government that can actually make some basic decisions. Anything less wil be perceived as a propaganda cookie.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Trump should ask Un to build a factory for iPhones and pay the workers $3/hr. They would have a technologic manufacturing powerhouse within a decade.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's been done before, at a smaller level. Remember in 2009 when we sent in ol' Bill Clinton to negotiate the release of US hostages in North Korea? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_...rth_Korea#Bill_Clinton.27s_visit_to_Pyongyang

At this time, it had been nearly a decade since he had been President, and he had no real power. He could be described as a former president, academic, non-profit business leader, at that moment in time.

I agree that the "optics" of whoever we send would have to be addressed. They would have to receive some deputized-power, as I said, and a fancy-sounding title. Likewise, that person would have to on their own merit have a mile-long resume of accomplishments and honors.

I'm just concerned that Trump, nor anyone in his cabinet, is at all qualified to handle such a sensitive negotiation. This isn't negotiating with a carpenter subcontractor to install doors in a hotel. This is serious stuff with long-term geopolitical ramifications, and a lengthy history of dealings to consider. If such a hypothetical meeting were to occur, we would need to bring out our biggest ace.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly. You build up to a summit, after you've built a foundation of mutually agreed upon goals and some degree of trust.
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2017 ---
    And you know this because ...?

13. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

As long as human rights aren't on the table for discussion. I don't think Trump would be prepared to answer for how the US government screws the average American.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

The old ways have not worked, maybe an in your face would work.
    Still I am in favor of meeting. Bring DR as the straight man.

15. throAU, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Its far more likely to happen via diplomacy than the continued sabre rattling between the two sides, especially given that the USA dropped more bombs on north korea during the korean war than they did throughout the entirety of World War 2, and caused more destruction to North Korea than they did to Japan during WW2 as well. Including huge numbers of civilian targets.

You guys constantly seem to wonder why so many countries hate you. Well, this is the sort of reason why.

But it will never happen anyway as the people running the USA are bankers and defence contractors, and war is good for business.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Only if Trump plays him in a round of golf for nukes. Otherwise I'm sure the left would be happy to just give the little ****er a boatload of money to "not build nukes" like Clinton and Carter did.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

because trump and his mouth could never make it better.
    that brush again huh?

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Have we attempted the "old ways" with this or the previous regime?

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

In the history of our dealings with NK, yeah. You might not like to talk about it, but it was a colossal failure.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

This is the part nobody in the US seems to realize.

Yes NK commits human atrocities every day with their hard-labor camps, extra-judicial executions, underfeeding the population, etc.

But, as an exercise, look at it from their perspective.
    NK: There is a world-power half a planet away which bombed the living poop out of us a few decades ago, dropped two nukes on our neighbors before that, continues to exert themselves as bullies all over the place, bombs the hell out of the middle east nearly every week, bribes our closest ally with tons of money, and just build a very sophisticated and scary missile system on our southern border.​

If I was in their shoes, I would be scrambling to assemble weapons and bombs for protection and deterrence as well. (I would also close down the hard-labor camps, release political prisoners, work harder to feed the population, but that's beside this particular point).

I think if you start with view that what NK is doing militarily is a perfectly reasonable response to what the U.S. has been doing, it makes understanding this conflict a lot easier.

I think the easiest way for the US to get rid of KJU and that whole family is to offer peace. KJU is in power because they're terrified of the US killing them all. If we assure the entire NK population, somehow, that we are not going to kill them, and rather working with us will make them wealthy and well-fed, I think they would overthrow KJU themselves.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I guess that depends on your definition of what "worked" means. We haven't had an actual incident with NK in 30+ years...can't really say that's a failure.

Unless of course, like the military testified to last week, the "ultimate solution to this is regime change" in your eyes. I for one don't want to trigger yet another major humanitarian disaster on the planet, but that's just me.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

make it a death match with the winner staying in the losers country :D

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They've been asking for disarmament of their borders for decades, while we continue to pile on. NK itself said it would abandon their nuclear program and allow verification to attest to that IF the US/South Korea/Japan actually agreed in good faith.

Good faith negotiations with the USA, however, continues to be a fools errand....so here we are.

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Ad hoc quasi diplomatic interaction: Yes
    Back door diplomatic interaction: Yes
    Low level diplomatic interaction: Yes
    Mid level diplomatic interaction: Yes
    Top level diplomatic interaction: Yes
    Presidential visitation: Yes

and here we are ....
    North Korea is a cyclic sebaceous cyst just wanting to erupt to cause maximum "discomfort" to the world and the US in particular. We keep "treating" it. When are we going to correct the issue?

Note: I am unclear on what "correct" entails at this point.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That certainly is true.

But there is a difference between diplomatic engagement, and a personal meeting involving the United States President.

Contrary to what many people might think, Donald Trump is not the person to broker a solution to the many problems concerning North Korea. He is clearly unfamiliar with most of the historical, military, political, social, and economic issues. He has precisely zero experience conducting high-level negotiations in the minutiae of Asian geopolitics. He lacks any coherent understanding of the nuances of diplomatic language. It seems more than likely that Trump would blurt out some statement that the North Koreans might use to justify all sorts of dangerous behavior.

Lastly, a personal, face-to-face meeting with the United States President is a prize of immense value. It is not the sort of thing to be carelessly given away to any tinpot dictator with a ramshackle nuclear program. It needs to be held back, as a potential reward for good behavior. It needs to be earned, by adhering to the values espoused by the United States.