Would you support a gasoline tax increase?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by senseless, Jul 28, 2012.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Would you support a 25¢ increase in the Federal gasoline tax in order to repair deficient roads and bridges? Would you automatically not vote for a politician who increased the gas tax?
    The Federal gasoline tax has been fixed at 18.4¢ per gallon since 1993.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Considering our chronic budget deficit and national debt, I'd suggest that it's obvious that the people need to fork over more of their money to pay what is owed.

Tax me more.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yes I would and I would support tieing it to the price of gas so it acts more like a sales tax instead of a flat fee. That way it can self adjust for inflation.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

As long as I saw it working: a new tappan zee bridge with
    Mass transit on it would be a good start.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Unfortunately we have a taxation scheme for the above in the uk! Does it work?? Does it hell!

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

I'll take more than $0.25, please. Or more directly from the state so the state can have more discretion on where the funding goes and for what. There's a lot of work to be done around here.

7. ender land macrumors 6502a

Potentially, assuming it was somehow guaranteed to ONLY be going towards those services.

I would prefer this at the state level if there is an increase.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

We tried it here in the Netherlands, and it didn't work.:(
    The extra revenue is slowly used for other uses (Budget short falls mostly) . :rolleyes:
    If you could over come that problem then it might be worth looking at.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

HAHA, living in CT we already do "support" such tax, highest in the union.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If it causes a proper reduction in road traffic and gets more americans onto bicycles, buses and on foot, how could it be a bad thing?

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

amazed at the support here when every other flat tax is shot down due to how regressive this tax would be

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sometimes we surprise you.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Gas tax would be incredibly regressive, so I am also surprised liberals are jumping on this one. Especially when it is the corporate cargo trucks that are tearing up the roads.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is kind of like a cross between a tax and a user fee. And it is only regressive for people who buy more vehicle than they need.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Okay, then sales tax is only regressive for people who buy more than they need. :rolleyes:

16. ender land macrumors 6502a

There is a difference between a general flat tax which feeds the overall budget and a specific fund to feed specific infrastructure improvements.

Maybe I'm too idealistic to think this would actually happen that way... :cool:

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you could find a way to make it progressive, I'd be all for it.

Just last night, I heard a story (I haven't confirmed its truth) about how Finland's traffic fines are progressive and that a moving violation committed by the head of Nokia cost him over $100,000.

Let's do it!

:D

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Our problem is that for some reason, the money is collected for infrastructure, but there are no mandates that it has to be spent that way.

19. 184550 Guest

No. That's how NC has been raising money for years. We have the highest gas taxes of any state that borders us and one of the highest in the nation.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You actually could give quarterly gas rebates from the IRS if you wanted to.

21. elistan macrumors 6502a

The corporate cargo trucks get many fewer miles per gallon than a passenger car, so it would be a progressive tax in that sense.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You could, but most people would not like it. A tracking device that can tell when you are speeding, advises you at the time and charges a fee based on how long/how much over, or calls the cops if it is nearing felonious or in a school/work zone. The faster you go, the more relative wear you put on the roads, so that should be a realistic consideration.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have to say no to this tax as well for the above reasons. Let's stick to more progressive taxation.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't support an increase as the government can't be trusted to use it for improving the roads, bridges, etc. It would be used for something else.

25. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

No, I would not support it. Instead, I'd rather the funding be taken away from entitlement programs that have allowed populations of people to live their entire lifes without working, while being provided free health care, food, and places to live.