Would you support Apple if Chinese people made a racist detergent ad?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pat500000, May 27, 2016.

1. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

i know some people might ask what's the connection with detergent ad and Apple products, but I'm referring to attitude toward other ethnicities. Will it affect your buying?

*warning: video contains sensitive content*

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Last time I was in China--early nineties--I saw any manner of racist items, i.e. toothpaste with the stereotypical grinning black man with huge lips and teeth. Seems they're still using the same advertising techniques.

3. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

Oh okay. So..what's your perspective on supporting Apple? Will you continue to buy Apple stuff made in China? Or will it discourage you from buying Apple stuff?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    China and Japan tend to get a pass when it comes to racial issues, mostly because what they do comes across as more naive than hateful.

The Japanese are about the only people on the face of the earth who can manage to get away with blackface in this day and age. Then, to prove they're always willing to go that extra mile, went ahead and created whiteface as a fashion statement.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

China is the worlds biggest capitalist. Anything goes in pursuit of the almighty Dollar/Yuan.:rolleyes:

If the detergent is a good value (best bang for the buck, most rubble for the ruble), I would buy it. I'm not the sort to be swayed by advertising.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No change.

Koreans are just as bad. In Seoul I visited more than one drinking establishment with large framed photographs of Adolph Hitler hanging on the wall. Not that Koreans are anti-Semitic; it's because to them, German = beer.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Exactly. They're looking at western culture from an outside perspective looking in, much the same way we look at them. That, and their seemingly region wide love of kitsch, means they're going to produce some really awkward stuff on occasion.

8. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

I'm glad there are people who look beyond the surface.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

China can use a few lessons from Madison Avenue.

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

I support equal rights in marriage and like chik-fil-a
    :eek:

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

That's definitely not PC...

That definitely qualifies as "racist"...

It's not too different than the "In Living Color" sketch where they parody the "Just for Men" hair coloring where the person starts out white but gradually ends up black. It's quite funny, in a way... But ILC is a spoof... a commercial is trying to sell a product. There should be a few more standards of decency, but I don't think the commercial meant to enrage anyone and the actor playing the pre-wash guy certainly played it straight. Nobody saw the offensive switchover coming.

The saddest part is, at first I thought it was China being PC in supporting mixed-ethnicity relationships. Like Quon Le and Mac from "Night Court" (a US sitcom from the 1980s). But then the commercial played a dirty trick. The commercial is comedy, employing shtick more like what Dave Chappelle or Family Guy would do.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I was living in Hong Kong back then and yes, Darkie was a common brand of toothpaste. A few years later the name changed to Darlie…
    Something similar happened to Camp Coffee.

Oh, and the OP's original question: Unless it was an ad by Apple, sponsored by Apple or and ad made by say, Foxcon, then I'd still go on buying Apple stuff.

13. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

then don't buy the detergent, if Apple ran this THEN you could use the brush being used.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Ah yes, the company that wasn't doing so hot but found a neat wedge issue to drum up a target market with. If Chik-Fil-A had to do anything of substance or work other than to make a buck from a bunch of dumbclucks, do you think it would even begin to stand up? Wait and see, but I'd bet more money on "Absolutely not" than "Absolutely would". That's why the customers being lured in on a petty wedge issue were dumbclucks.

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

I liked chik-fil-a well before any controversies popped up. the M-E still executes gays, where do you get your gas from?

16. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Let's see Apple do something like that first. Nobody stopped buying Apple or other brands using Foxconn despite their worker and human rights abuses and Apple, champion of all things human rights, didn't bother to stop going there either...

Apple has also played stereotypes with those PC-vs-Mac commercials with the business suit stuffy PC guy and stinky smelly hippie hipster sloppily dressed dropout smug worthless Mac user. Nobody seemed to mind about those caricatures...
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2016 ---
    PTSD and flashback upon reading the name "Chik-Fil-A" and the relevance and parallel that issue* brought up when it comes to various ___isms and ___ias. Which is interesting considering how it had less to do with the gay marriage issue...

Personally, I couldn't care less what a company does - unless it's such a really big issue. There's a sci-fif writer who is apparently a big-time homophobe. Made that movie, "Enders Game". Overrated movie but I didn't boycott just because he has personal beliefs and opinions that I didn't fully agree or disagree with.

* (admittedly tangential based on a tangent already mentioned)

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Apparently it is just a rip off of an Italian advert from 9 years ago. Who would have thunk that could happen in China.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I like Chick-Fil-A and Starbucks. Am I politically bipolar or I simply want to enjoy a piece of chicken and/or a coffee?

19. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Most people on here would defend apple if they started clubbing baby seals.

20. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

Yeah..I saw that as well during youtube browsing. Truthfully, I don't find anything "racist" but more of spoof..just hilarious because it's unrealistic.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2016 ---

according to merriam webster
    conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated.
    Based on that definition...i would think it's PC...but either way
    If I looked beyond black guy and chinese...I would find it hilarious because
    1) It's unrealistic. How do you convert black guy to chinese guy with a piece of detergent? LOL
    2) The black guy intentionally knew what he was up for.

either way: I don't know if this type of attitude toward any ethnicity would discourage me from buying apple stuff made in China. I just want to know if this type of mind set would affect you or any buyers.

21. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

don't see the problem
    [​IMG]

22. mudslag, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That still doesn't expalin what apple has anything to do with any of it. You might as well have said Walmart, Automakers, Trump's clothing line, ect. The idea of boycotting Apple because some Chinese Laundry Detergent company made a racial commercial seems silly. One has nothing to do with the other.

23. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Qiaobi detergent, gets the Black out.

Still copying things it seems.

24. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Why? A commercial that might be potentially seen as racist will make me stop supporting Apple because they make their products in the country that made this commercial? What is wrong with you people. It's like if I decided to not support anything from Germany because Hitler was there.

Also, this commercial is hilarious. I wouldn't even call it racist. Just because they decided that a dirty guy will be black doesn't make it racist. I don't understand human logic and I apparently never will.

25. pat500000 thread starter Suspended

pat500000

You tell me. Some people do get offended and they wouldn't buy anything related to China (which is dumb as majority of our products are made in USA).

BTW: I find the video hilarious.