Would you switch off unlimited if AT&T offered you 5GB + tethering for $30/mth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Mar 1, 2012.

?

Would you switch from unlimited to the 5GB + tethering plan for $30/mth?

1. Yes, that's a fair deal and I'd switch!

46 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. No, I'll never give up unlimited...even if it's throttled!

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I understand why AT&T needs to throttle data and I don't necessarily blame them if bandwidth is a major concern. But I completely disagree with the way they are treating their longest and most loyal customers. Instead of offering them a good reason to switch to a tiered plan, they're instead hindering the experience of having unlimited to begin with. AT&T should be rewarding their most loyal customers....and I think I have a fairly reasonable solution.

Currently the 5GB data plan costs customers $50/mth and it includes tethering. If AT&T offered me the option to switch to the 5GB + tethering plan for the same price I'm paying for unlimited, I would 100% switch to the tiered plan. By doing this, the company would be preventing users from gobbling up insane data allotments while still rewarding their most loyal customers by giving them a discount on what's currently being offered. To me, that seems like a win-win for all sides.

So if AT&T offered a program like this, would you accept the move to the tiered plan? Do you think it would be fair?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think I would.

I'm currently looking for options to use my iPad away from wifi. I was actually considering the 5gb plan this morning due to my throttling problems, now that I've seen the announcement about upping the throttling threshold I think I'll keep my unlimited for now.

3. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I would. 2 extra GB's and free tethering for the same price I'm paying now.

AT&T however, wouldn't. lol.

5. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Yep...but that would be giving away too much of the ranch. AT&T would never go that way.

The latest policy change to throttle unlimited's at 3GB and not throttle so badly that data is unusable is just enough to lower the outrage roar and stave off further small claims court awards.

6. El3ctronics, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Well "technically" you're paying for UNLIMITED so you're actually downgrading by going to a tiered plan. You're getting the benefit of not having to worry about throttling and getting a discount on the price currently being offered (for being a longtime and loyal customer) and they're getting the benefit of not having people using their mobile network like a home Internet connection.

----------

Also, think about it this way. Eventually everyone with unlimited is going to be on LTE anyway so they won't be throttled until they reach the 5GB barrier anyway. That means they're basically just moving you from Unlimited to 5GB for the same price they're offering now and just throwing in tethering to entice you to move!. I don't see how this hurts AT&T.

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I would switch to the current 3GB plan if it allowed tethering.

8. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

If you did that, you would regret it as soon as you switched to an LTE device. You'd be paying the same price for 3GB that you would have been getting 5GB for before being throttled.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

ATT just announced that their unlimited plans on LTE wouldn't get throttled until 5GB FWIW.

10. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly my point. So the only thing EXTRA that AT&T would be doing is throwing in the tethering option to entice you to move from "unlimited" to the tiered plan. And tethering won't have any effect on the total bandwidth so it shouldn't be a major issue (it should be included for free anyway but that's a whole other discussion).

11. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

12. bsbuggs macrumors regular

I just bought a verizon droid(waiting until iPhone 5 and LTE), I just could not take the lack of tethering and SLOW speeds I have been getting lately here in Chicago.
    I jumped on verizons double data offer, picked up 10Gb's for 50 bucks.....yes more expensive than the 30 BUT I called and added the hotspot....Now here is where it gets interesting. I was told that the hotspot allows me to use any and ALL of my 10GB allowance if I so choose... Cost FREE. they are not charging for the mobile hotspot.

Cant really answer why, but I'm not asking either. I confirmed with 3 reps that this was legit and all three said NO problem...

So for 20 more I can tether UP to the 10 GB, more than enough for me and I'm rockin LTE speed...like 15-24 down...awesome..
    I bought this plan asI wait for the iPhone 5 LTE, ill be all set. So a few months of no iPhone, but the droid bionic is OK..

GO Verizon..

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am not arguing for or against it, FWIW, just throwing it out there since it was essentially just announced today.

14. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

So basically I can take my Skyrocket to AT&T get them to change my data plan to unlimited LTE and I'll get an extra 2gb before being throttled?

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you are currently on the unlimited data plan, yes. I assume that if you just pop your sim back into the iPhone it will recognize it as a 3G device and drop the cap down to 3GB again.

16. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

So, is this a deal you must call and ask for?

Because I also got in on the double data deal last month with 10GB for $50. But if I attempt to turn on the hotpost it requests me to accept $20 a month additional.

The deals online list $50 for 6GB + hotspot, or $50 for 10GB (no hotspot)

17. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

If I put my sim in the Skyrocket will it change to the LTE plan? The sim card was originally in the Skyrocket and I cut it to put it in my iPhone 4s.

18. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Link to these deals please.

19. bsbuggs macrumors regular

I called up and said I wanted to add the 4G hotspot feature.....she kinda studdered and said she needed to ask someone a question, and left me on hold. she came back and said OK...and its free!!

tell her you want to add feature plan code #76153...but throw that number out there after asking for the 4g hotspot.

hopefully it will work for you.

20. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=Double Data

Logging into your current account and selecting data changes, or going through the process of obtaining a new line will bring up additional options...

21. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

The point of this thread was "WOULD YOU SWITCH OFF UNLIMITED IF AT&T...."

22. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

yes,

You should have set this thread up as a poll.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, I can JB and tether for free.
    I dont use tethering much though.