Would you take money from a stranger?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Would you take money from a stranger?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. G51989, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I feel this should not have to be in the Political section, but I know it will turn into that. There is also a poll attached

If you were in a tight money situation would you take money from strangers?

I ask this because, I was in Pittsburgh PA a few weeks ago on a business trip, trying to strike up new clients at a conference, Pinstripe suits, ******** overpriced ties,that kinda thing. Which was fun and all that.

So I drove to a local supermarket called Giant Eagle. I just had some basic stuff for the kitchen at the hotel room. Ahead of me was a young couple who had 6 kids, they had a HUGE order, after WIC, and whatever was left on their foodstamp card, the total still came to like 300 something dollars. I could just see the look of desperation on their face, trying to decide what was not as important, it was full of the basic foods people need, stuff for kids, all that.

I don't know, I just felt alot of compassion and I felt really bad, and halfway through their conversation, I whipped out my debit card and told the cashier, I got it.

The reaction I got was surprising, but not at the same time.

Father: Man you don't have to do this
    Me: I know, but I am doing it
    Father: its your money man, don't waste it on us
    Me: I'm going to, so what do you do?

Turns out, the guy is an auto mechanic putting in 70+ hours a week 6 days a week, barely struggling to get by and wondering how the hell he is gonna make rent and food every month. I told him, I got it, I had to argue with him for awhile, and I said " why don't you take the 300 bucks you just saved, save it, and keep being a good father ", at that point he let me pay.

This brings me to a few questions.

If you were in a position like that? Would you take the money?

I had to think about it, I got my first job when I was 16, and I worked the whole way through FSU while paying tuition, I had a ****** apartment, hardly could make tuition and ends meet while I worked full time at a BBQ place in Tallahassee, all I ate was ramen and leftover BBQ food at the end of the day while I studied.

Despite that, when I was in a bad situation money wise. I still don't know if I would let someone pay for me.

Would you?

I don't think I would.

The other question is.

What kind of country do we live in where someone working skilled labor like an auto mechanic can't provide for a mid sized family at 70 hours a week? Hard working guy doing all the right things, being a good father, good husband, and a hard worker with a degree can barely make it.

That speaks VOLUMES about America these days.

PS: For those of you who think I do this kinda thing to " show off " it has NOTHING to do with that, it has to do with going to college poor, and coming from a borderline poor family, because I know what its like at the super market when maybe you don't have enough, so I do this kinda thing all the time, it really help people out.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Under certain circumstances (such as described above)...yes. If it were a matter of feeding my children...I would take the money, and if the samaritan were willing to give me his/her address...return the money when I was able.

Generally, no.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, unfortunately, it does 'speak volumes' about the US these days, its political, social and economic choices which have corroded and eroded the old skilled and unskilled working class, and are currently decimating the lower middle class.

However, as any further observations on my part on that topic would - inevitably - dispatch this thread to PRSI, (and I will happily address them there), instead, I'll confine myself to the question asked in your thread.

To be honest, I think that it largely depends on one's circumstances. A single person, living alone, is more likely to refuse such an offer, than someone with dependants. Actually, I truly believe that someone with children, or other dependant relatives, may view such an offer from a very different perspective than would a single person with no dependants and no responsibility for the needs of anyone other than him or herself.

They may indeed wish to refuse such, and personal pride or the desire to demonstrate a degree of independence (real or imagined) may have to be stifled when they are juggling bills, and debating which of life's necessitates they can afford to budget for this particular week, but, ultimately, the needs of those dependant on them will battle pride to a standstill. Of course, these are the very conditions for humiliation, but people with hungry children, or sick or dependant relatives would probably, while feeling deep humiliation themselves, find their way to accepting such an offer.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If I was in the situation of other's well being relying on it (kids, family) yes I would.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

To be fair if you're willing to give me money I'm willing to take your money, I leave the judgement of whether im worthy of that money up to you.

Im also willing to give money when I've got money to give, but I'd like the judgement about who I give it to and how I give it up to me.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'll start off by saying that was a very generous and compassionate thing you did G51989.

But that said, I do have a couple of nits to pick. First, since when is a family of 8 considered a mid-sized family? I would consider that a large family. I would also disagree that this "hard working guy" did all the right things. He and his wife had kids that they couldn't afford. They should have been using some sort of contraception. Having more kids than you can afford doesn't speak volumes about America in my opinion.

Now as to your question, they are already taking money from strangers by using WIC, so why shouldn't they take money from someone in the supermarket?

7. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

PM’ing you my PayPal address, you send me a couple of thousand, when I get it, I’ll let you know how I feel ...

:D

8. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Kudos, well said.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe the wife worked for Hobby Lobby :rolleyes:

It's quite possible they both had well paying jobs when they had the kids, fell on hard times and are now struggling. What do you expect them to do, pick their favorite child and put the rest up for adoption?

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is a possible scenario, unfortunately, we'll never know.

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Then she has access to several types of contraception at her disposal.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, because buying a box of condoms or pulling out is just too much to ask.:rolleyes:

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It is a no brainer, yes, money is always good, free money is ******* fantastic.:p

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've done that exact thing at the register, albeit for much smaller amounts, several times.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

To be honest, pulling out isn't a sure fire way to stop anyone getting pregnant...... if you think it is then you might have a few kids you don't know about. :p

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It would depend upon how much $$$ is involved. My pride won't let me accept anything less than...[​IMG]

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Jesus H Christ.

Don't ever tell your kids that this is a safe method. Pre-ejaculate can and does cause pregnancy.

Always use a condom or the pill if your aim is to not get pregnant, spreading the notion that "pulling out" is a viable alternative is just dangerous.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I sincerely commend you for your generosity toward this family, but when you insist that the guy take your money and then turn around and tell us that you would refuse the same gesture from someone else, something sounds a bit insincere or hypocritical on your part. He's supposed to take your money, but you're above taking someone else's?

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yes, I would, with the understanding that when I am in a position to donate an equal amount of money to somebody in need that I would do so. I would keep to that pledge.

I have often given smaller amounts of money to people (e.g., people who are short on bus fares in dangerous areas of cities late at night) and asked them to do the same thing: help somebody else in a similar situation if they can.

And, yes, I am a total sucker. What of it?

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

He wrote that he doesn't THINK he would. How a scenario plays out in our imagination does not necessarily plays out the same way in reality. Until you've been in the same situation it's impossible to know. I was in a similar position once, long, long ago. My kids had nothing to eat. Two days from payday. I would have gotten on my hands and knees and begged. I have my pride, but my love for my two kids is infinitely greater than my pride.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Damn right it speaks volumes. It goes to show how pathetic the economic climate of this country has become. All while the stock market keeps hitting record highs.

This is the number one problem with this country. Here you have a man who works a skilled job 70+ hours a week and he still needs public assistance to survive. Why is this a problem? Two reasons:

First, if you listen to the plutocrats, they'd be calling this guy "lazy", a "moocher", a "taker", someone "waiting for a handout". Never mind the fact that this guy is practically working every hour he's awake. According to them, he's a lazy moocher, and this country has so many dumb as rocks brainwashed sheep that buy into their ******** and keep voting them into office. This country made it's own bed with it's stupidity and letting the corporatocracy **** over 97% of our population over the past 30 years in the name of making every last cent of profits.

This post starts to address the 2nd problem:

I think it does speak volumes about this country, because this situation is far too common today where we have families having way too many kids than they can afford. Why? Well, one of the main reasons is due to the same plutocrats and American Taliban politicians who are against contraception and against teaching kids about sex-ed and preventing pregnancy. And, yet again, the sheep of America keep voting these people in cause they're too stupid to realize their real motives and just hear the "don't vote for the dirty commie liberal" and "lower taxes" nonsense.

So, like I said, America made it's own bed with it's stupidity. Now it's time to lie in it. Expect the economy to continue to deteriorate as the elite continue to condense the wealth, the middle class finishes its evaporation, and the underclass grows. And we think the number of people on welfare and food stamps are at record highs now? Wait another 5 years.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

First, I can't see how someone goes over by $300. I think that is pretty poor planning on their part. It really worked out that you were in line behind him.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I gave $500 to a pregnant homelesss women on the subway years ago. She smelled extremely bad and was crying with a shameful look on her face while begging for anything. She had to only be around 22yrs old at the most. I told her to take this and get a hotel room to clean herself up. Who knows if her life turned out for the better or not, but at least she was able to afford a momentary place to stay and some food. That was one of the few times in my life that I felt someone begging was 100% authentic, and it wasn't like I was going to do anything special with that $500 but spend it on useless crap.

If the OP felt the situation he encountered was genuine, then he did the right thing. Sometimes people who are struggling need a relief no matter how small it is.

----------

I don't think they went $300 over. I think the OP just decided to pay the whole thing. That was extremely nice. I probably would have just paid the difference they couldn't afford.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

It was just a few generations where I read that middle class (home, kids, car, retirement and college savings)) was able to be achieved on one income in a skilled trade.

Today, it seems that to have that, you need dual incomes and each with college education and white collar type work.

Unfortunate how income has shifted so much to those more well off