Would you turn off wifi at school to make use of 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by katyoshi, Oct 28, 2009.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Just wondering if people would turn off their wifi to utilize 3G and make it worth your money? I'm on a university campus. I know wifi is faster than 3G. Would you rather use 3G also to get the most out of what you're paying for? The 3G?

Just wondering btw! :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... Kids at my (high) school would turn off the Wi-Fi to take advantage of Facebook. I had no real desire and preferred the faster Wi-Fi.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're in school? Have you taken any economic courses? (Microeconomics, especially.) Maye some kind of personal finances course?

Take extra care to write down whatever the professor says when they start talking about sunk costs. It sounds like that's the area you'll need to study the most.

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Nope. I RARELY use 3G on my phone. WiFi when possible and edge when im doing minimal browsing. I only turn on 3G if I need to download an app or something is loading too slow for me.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Well most kids at my school with iPhones think 3G is infinite god mode 9999999gigabytes a second so yeah they would. However I realize that my schools 500MB/s connection shouldn't go to waste :). There is a 3G tower next to my school/house though but you loose 3G if your half way in the school....

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have to turn off WiFi at University as the Uni's network does not let apps like facebook, ping or my twitter client to make connections to the internet. Its strange because if I use my macbook all things like Adium still work.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Small White Car - you ignore nonstandard measures of utility such as the pleasure to be had in "sticking it to AT&T."

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, I hope it brings you joy! :)

As for me, my wifi is 6x faster than my 3G connection. I'll stick with the wifi!

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Oh, don't misunderstand me: I, too, am using my 15 Mbps WiFi connection rather than my 172 Kbps Edge connection. I just recognize that the OP may have personal measures of utility that I do not share. ;-)

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

To be fair, I don't even use my school's Wi-Fi connection.

Every other kid has an iPod Touch and uses that to do random crap along the day, and it just bogs down the speed by a TON. To the point where it's faster to use 3G.

Plus, I can get on Facebook! :p

11. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Would an iPod touch hog up the network if everyone had one?

12. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

If you're talking to me, I did take micro and macro economics during my undergrad days when I didn't know what to major in. Now I'm a RN getting my masters :).

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, if they're all on the network at the same time. (Since everybody likes to be signed into AIM 24/7, and to other Messaging services:rolleyes:).

14. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

hell to the effing NO! 3G drains the battery way faster than wifi, and not to mention i dont have that stupid restriction of downloading apps over 10MB on the app store thing.

however, if the wifi was a LOT slower than using 3G, i would consider it...even still, the battery drain is a huge issue, and i always tend to go to wifi rather than 3G.

15. waffle911 macrumors regular

Most of the kids at my old high school actually had iPhones rather than iPod Touches. I had the latter. But they mostly used the WiFi unless doing something on Facebook or FML or some other thing that the school network blocked. But the school wireless was such that it was not all that much faster or more reliable than 3g, just a marked improvement with some drawbacks.

16. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Literally every kid in my school has a iPod touch hooked to my schools network streaming music and video non stop and I still get 30 down.....idk wtf kind of network your school has but my school has like a 500MB/s backhaul conneection.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Must be really crap internet if people using social networks cause the internet to crawl..

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wi-Fi just because it is faster, and it is there, so why not use it?

19. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

think about it this way.

$30 a month for 3G

10's of thousands of dollars a year to go to college. I think you'd be getting more moneys worth by using the Wi-Fi at school

;)

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you get data? why not get the fastes you can? i would never utilize 3g if i had wifi lol

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3% of AT&T users use 40% of bandwidth.

I hope those 3% users get axed.

22. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I turn my wifi off because it drains the battery so fast, with wifi off and 3G on I get about double the battery life. That's on a 3GS. And I find generally the 3G connection is fast enough for internet use.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The hand off from WiFi to 3G isn't always seemless, so I like to keep that off.

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's really weird, Wi-Fi is supposed to drain the battery a lot less than than 3G.

25. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I never even considered doing this to get my money's worth or anything, but a practical reason that I don't is because I often don't get cellular signal in certain buildings and/or classrooms at my university. Our wi-fi, on the other hand, is ubiquitous.