Would you update your iPad Mini Retina from iOS 7.1.1 to 8.4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hal~9000, Jul 26, 2015.

?

Would you update your iPad Mini Retina from iOS 7.1.1 to 8.4?

1. Yes, update to iOS 8.4

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No, keep it on iOS 7.1.1

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Hello,

I recently purchased a cellular iPad Mini Retina, aka iPad Mini 2, and it came with iOS 7.1.1 out of the box. It already has performance issues (i.e. running out of RAM and having to refreshing each and every app I switch to) and I was debating wether I should update it to the latest iOS 8.4 but wasn't sure if it would cause a further negative performance hit?

I don't currently require any iOS 8 features (extensibility, quick reply, etc) and would like to know the communities opinion if they were in my shoes whether they would update their iPad Mini Retina to 8.4 or keep it on 7.1.1?

Thank you :)

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I would not update it at the time. When is ios9 is released, I would post the question again.

I have an iPad2 and it is on 7.1.2

3. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I would not. I have an iPad Mini (1), and it creeps on iOS 8.

4. entropi macrumors 6502

There is a lot more power in iPad mini 2 compared to the iPad mini 1, but I would probably keep it in iOS 7.

If it already were on iOS 8 and with Apples usual "no reverts possible-after-a-few-days"-policy on iOS in mind, it would be a totally different story. There seems to be quite much a possibility that iOS 9 could be an improvement compared to iOS 8.

Keep it as fast as it can be, stay on iOS 7. Once you go iOS 8, there is no way back. (and that's really rotten of Apple!)

5. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Do not do this "upgrade", it is a disaster for older IPads.

6. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

I disagree. My old Air 1 runs basically just as well on iOS 8.4 compared to my Air 2. Claiming otherwise is complete bull****. Heck... even my older iPad Mini 1 runs iOS 8.4 acceptable.

7. makinao, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

makinao macrumors regular

My 2 week old Mini 2 came with 8.3. I updated to 8.4 immediately. No problem here.

8.4 is also on my iPhone 4s and my wife's iPad 2. It's not buttery smooth, but it doesn't make us impatient. Pretty good for 4 year old devices.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes. The mini 2 is just a shrunken iPad Air. Definitely update it.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The iPad mini 2 is not an "older iPad" it's running an A7 processor. 64bit, 1GB RAM, supports Metal - it's perfectly capable.

Now the iPad mini or the iPad 2 - that's another story. The A5 is so much slower than the A7 but it still handles iOS 8 respectably.

10. makinao macrumors regular

And I heard that iOS 9 will still run on a iPhone 4s. Thanks Apple :)

11. Rava macrumors member

I live by the standard that idevices are good for the release the come with + the next release, then they start to have performance issues. There have been enough reports of slow older devices on ios 8 that I'd be really wary to upgrade. My ipad mini retina is permanently on 7.1.2 for that reason and because apple removed the ability to see app data on the desktop in ios 8.3. I use itools to backup game save data and don't want to lose that functionality.

12. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Sure! I've done it. Runs fine. Even an original 1st gen iPad mini runs well with 8.4.

13. newellj macrumors 603

I updated my retina Mini from 7.1.2 to 8.x (currently 8.4). There are always people who have other experiences, but it didn't have any adverse effects on my Mini 2.

14. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Oops. I misread the OP as having the original iPad Mini. Mine is very slow on 8.4, but the iPad Mini 2 had way better specs, obviously.

15. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

But, if you have the second mini then wouldn't your role dictate you upgrade to 8.4 since it released with 7.X.X? Granted the app data issue you mentioned on 8.3 would be a reason.

To the OP, my wife now has my Retina mini and it runs quite well on 8.4, just about as smooth as 7.X.X The only slowdown I notice is in comparison to my Air 2, which isn't really fair. There is some app refresh issues, but that is almost unavoidable on that tablet with the combo of software and specs it is running.

16. Rava macrumors member

That's a good point, for some reason I was thinking my mini 2 came out with 6. It's probably fine to go to 8.4, I've just heard so many mixed reviews of it that I'm still wary when 7.1.2 works fine. From what I've read 8 seems kinda mediocre, especially compared to the positive things I've read about 9's beta. On the other hand I have 8.4 on my iphone 6 and have had no problems, so I may just be too cautious.

17. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Yeah,if you're fine on 7.1.2 and don't want any features from 8 don't bother with it. It is kind of mediocre compared to 9, when I upgraded it to 8 I was being an upgrade junky, even though I didn't need to be.

18. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

You aren't being too cautious, you're being smart. My iPad mini 2 was having issues even on iOS 7.1.2, same issues OP mentioned.

I was hoping iOS 8 would sort of help my iPad mini 2, as simple things stuttered on iOS 7 like rotating the keyboard, rotating the App Store, starting Siri, using control center over keyboard, over an open folder, or over the lock screen, etc... But no. iOS 8 made everything worse, and added new performance issues. I was appalled. My iPad lags and stutters from just exiting an app I've been using for awhile, as well as simply tapping the address bar in safari. Spotlight search comes down at a lower that 60fps framerate because of the blurring effect, and sending messages always stutters unless the conversation is completely empty. There are more problems but those are my prime examples. I would leave my iPad on iOS 7 if I were you.

iOS 9 is very similar to iOS 8 so far, except a couple things are fixed/alleviated! Sliding down spotlight is a bit smoother, and the keyboard comes up a bit smoother as well. Tapping the address bar in safari is somewhat smoother because they made the blurred favorites screen wait longer before popping up (keyboard comes up smooth at first but stutters at the very end when the favorites pop up). Control center is now smooth on the lock screen because they made it so the "Slide to Unlock" text disappears when you slide up. Navigating away from an app with a multitasking gesture while the keyboard is up no longer stuttery, and Siri doesn't look so stuttery as it is initiated (although it still does stutter some) because the content doesn't move backward as it is blurred like in iOS 7/8. HOWEVER. The app switcher is a total and complete mess. On my iPad mini 2, as long as there are 3-4 apps or more in the switcher, entering or exiting apps is carried out at less than ~30fps. Scrolling lags too, mostly around the home screen "card" in the switcher.

All in all, iOS 9 is better in some places, the same most everywhere else, and in a couple places worse than iOS 8 in terms of performance. This is actually exciting to me because we still have 1-2 betas to go, and things already are fairly good. The only main issue is the app switcher for me. I think that just needs polishing because even on "Increase Contrast", entering and exiting apps stutters.

19. newellj macrumors 603

IMO, there are three reasons to update the OS:

1. You want the additional security elements in the updated version of iOS

2. You want an additional feature offered by the updated version of iOS

3. You want to install or update an app that won't install or update without the current version of iOS

If none of these apply, there's no reason to update iOS and there are reasons you might not want to do it.

As a BTW/FWIW, I'm not seeing anything in iOS 9 that would lead me to update any of my iOS hardware other than my Air 2. iOS 9 is now in the fourth beta and I don't see any of the performance enhancements that were touted for this release yet.

20. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

One thing to be mindful of is that there can be performance issues when an iOS device's storage is completely filled. If you have less than 5GB free you might try removing some apps and/or media to see if that helps. Perhaps a good time to also do a backup and restore.