Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
"No. There will be no iPad 3 until next spring!"

If Apple wants to maximize the sales of the new iPad 2, and if Apple indeed does not plan to release iPad 3 by Christmas 2011 as rumored, wouldn't it be Apple's own best interest to make it clear for all for once?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I don't think so. Speculation drives the market, and if it is known when the next iteration will come out, the waiting game will be much easier. The vast majority of consumers have no idea about these iPad 3 rumors, and many that were interested in the iPad recently probably didn't even know about the iPad 2 rumors.

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
The proportion of iPad customers who actually bother to read rumours and speculation about new models is incredibly small. Apple has far more important things to think about.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
From Apple's perspective, there is very little good that can come out of commenting on rumors.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
The proportion of iPad customers who actually bother to read rumours and speculation about new models is incredibly small. Apple has far more important things to think about.

agreed.

Apple sold something like 15-17 million iPads in the last (almost) year, how many of those 15 million people search online forums and rumors sites, a very small percentage.

I also think Apple made it quit clear,

screenshot20110304at121.png

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Short answer, No.

Long answer, No because:

1) It instantly limits Apple in their future plans if a competitor does something unexpected. If, f'instance, Samsung bring out a high PPI display on a tablet with a ship date of November time Apple wouldn't be able to respond until after Christmas. It would also increase the chances of a competitor doing something like that timed to have maximum disruption on Apple as they'd know what Apple is planning.

2) It would start people thinking about the iPad 3 NOW. That is a crazy way to work, no other company does it for a damn good reason. You want your customers focused on your current product, not some possible future release.

3) Those who pay attention to rumours are a very small percentage of Apple's customers. Let the rumor mill churn away (it's going to anyway) it won't make any real difference in the long run.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I also think Apple made it quit clear,

screenshot20110304at121.png
Agree. That slide is a pretty clear indication that the iPad 2 is their product for this year.

Apple wants people to upgrade every time a new one comes out. With that, they almost certainly get the most "bang for the buck" out of the 12 month or so update schedule.

Last edited:

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Well, if you read the comments from the droid fanboys who attack this site, it's a moot point because Xoom is going to bury the iPad and relegate it to obscurity!
Seriously, as others have pointed out, not many pay attention to the rumors of future releases. One of my coworkers purchased an iPad last week totally unaware of the upcoming launch.
I am happy with my current model and can wait for the 3rd generation whether it's in the fall or next year.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

+1

For the folks who frequent these types of websites it seems like everyone in the world must know all about the rumors, but for the vast majority of the buying public they could not care less. I would guess that most still do not even know that the Ipad 2 was announced.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Some people will always wait & hope for a better tomorrow rather than embrace and enjoy the present. An announcement by Apple isn't going to stop these types from kicking their decision can down the road. So, no.

Strategically, I think it's been said here -- it would take an ace or two out of Apple's hand. I do not expect Apple to announce an iPad 3 this year based on Apple's own sales projections. It would also hurt their cash flow b/c the fall is traditionally iPod season and people only have so much disposable cash to spend at any given time. It would also limit the number of iPad 2 owners able to upgrade to 3. Apple's product launch periods are not random. They are designed to capture as much of people's annual free cash budget as possible.

But, for arguments sake, let's say the iPad 2 sales are flat and Xoom or some other tab is making a foothold. If Apple needs to make an "emergency" refresh to the iPad they will take a lot of flack and bad press if they previously announced no "iPad 3 in 2011" and consumers relied on that statement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.