Wouldn't it be awesome if Siri was an option in spotlight search?

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I was thinking today when I typed into the spotlight search, looking for a web address, it would be really cool if you could have a third option to the existing "search web" and "search Wikipedia". Just a third bar to add to the existing 2 that say "Siri" that would be a silent response and bring up the Siri page. You would be able to set alarms and texts and emails all through there.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Couldn't you just simply and quietly use the Clock app to set alarms, check texts using the Messages app, or the Mail app to send mail, etc.?

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Couldn't you just simply and quietly use the Clock app to set alarms, check texts using the Messages app, or the Mail app to send mail, etc.?
Sure, but to be able to type, "set an alarm for 9am and repeat every day" would be so much faster. Or type "remind me when I leave here to take my sunglasses".

----------

Can't you just activate Siri by holding down the home button?
Yes, but there's no way to type to Siri. You can only use voice. I don't want to have everyone know what I'm looking up or telling my phone to do all the time.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think essentially you're asking for Spotlight to work like Siri, as in give you sports, movie, Wikipedia, etc information in the style of using it. Aswell as all the automation.

I think that would be great, I just think it doesn't fit with the whole point of Spotlight, which is to find stuff on our devices. We're getting into Alfred and LaunchBar territory.

It's convenient, it just doesn't make any sense when the clock, calendar, and Safari are on our home screen.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Yes, but there's no way to type to Siri. You can only use voice. I don't want to have everyone know what I'm looking up or telling my phone to do all the time.
If you're wanting to type why not just go into the app that controls whatever you want to do? That would be a lot more efficient.

Sirious

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
In the time it takes to type your request to a 'muted' Siri, its probably quicker to do it yourself using the designated app.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think I could actually do the action then type the action I want done. I know I can do it more accurately.

The benefit of Siri is to not be bothered by doing either of those task.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Sure, but to be able to type, "set an alarm for 9am and repeat every day" would be so much faster. Or type "remind me when I leave here to take my sunglasses".

----------

(1) Hold down the home button.

(2) Say - "Siri"

(3) Tap the word "Siri" to edit your request.

Paddle1

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2013

----------

Typing "set an alarm for 9am and repeat every day" is awkward. The clock app is more intuitive. And you can type in Siri by pressing the last thing you said and editing it.