Wouldn't it be awesome if Siri was an option in spotlight search?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Bugeyeblue, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I was thinking today when I typed into the spotlight search, looking for a web address, it would be really cool if you could have a third option to the existing "search web" and "search Wikipedia". Just a third bar to add to the existing 2 that say "Siri" that would be a silent response and bring up the Siri page. You would be able to set alarms and texts and emails all through there.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Couldn't you just simply and quietly use the Clock app to set alarms, check texts using the Messages app, or the Mail app to send mail, etc.?

3. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

Can't you just activate Siri by holding down the home button?

4. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Sure, but to be able to type, "set an alarm for 9am and repeat every day" would be so much faster. Or type "remind me when I leave here to take my sunglasses".

----------

Yes, but there's no way to type to Siri. You can only use voice. I don't want to have everyone know what I'm looking up or telling my phone to do all the time.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think essentially you're asking for Spotlight to work like Siri, as in give you sports, movie, Wikipedia, etc information in the style of using it. Aswell as all the automation.

I think that would be great, I just think it doesn't fit with the whole point of Spotlight, which is to find stuff on our devices. We're getting into Alfred and LaunchBar territory.

It's convenient, it just doesn't make any sense when the clock, calendar, and Safari are on our home screen.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Then just go into a quiet corner where nobody can see or hear you! ;)

7. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I think a better solution would be to have an option to use the keyboard in Siri to type your input.

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

That would defeat the whole object of Siri.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you're wanting to type why not just go into the app that controls whatever you want to do? That would be a lot more efficient.

10. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

In the time it takes to type your request to a 'muted' Siri, its probably quicker to do it yourself using the designated app.

11. cynics macrumors G3

I think I could actually do the action then type the action I want done. I know I can do it more accurately.

The benefit of Siri is to not be bothered by doing either of those task.

12. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

(1) Hold down the home button.

(2) Say - "Siri"

(3) Tap the word "Siri" to edit your request.

13. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Typing "set an alarm for 9am and repeat every day" is awkward. The clock app is more intuitive. And you can type in Siri by pressing the last thing you said and editing it.