Wouldn't it be funny...if all these iPhone leaks weren't for real after all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Molecule, May 26, 2010.

1. Molecule macrumors regular

Seriously, think about it. I asume you've all seen pictures of the iPhone 4. What if these 'leaks' had in fact been pushed out by Apple to begin with? "Ah, but what about Gizmodo?" you may ask. Well, you get an engineer to leave a fake (in the sense that it will never reach production. Real in the sense that Apple built it.) next-gen iPhone in a bar, and watch everything just fall into place. Predictably, a tech journo ends up buying it from a shady middleman-type character. The journalist then goes and publishes information about the device. Apple *pretends* to be angry. Cupertino then calls the cops (hey, it was technically stolen property), which naturally throws even more attention on the story, and confirms its realness (or so we think...).

Follow this up by paying a nice some to a shifty Vietnamese businessman and he can push out some more pictures and videos shorty afterwards. This further confirms the realness of the device.

So, what use could Apple possibly have for this kind of public deception? To put it simply: to surprise us. By unveiling a newly redesigned iPhone as expected...only it looks nothing like what we thought it would. We are stunned. Shocked. Captivated. We drool.
    And hey, it's not like Steve doesn't enjoy putting on a good show :D

So why go to all the trouble?
    This is an interesting question, but there's a convincing answer: the danger of actual leaks. Apple's had some real problems with this of late. By tricking the public into thinking it knows what the next iPhone will look like, you can pretty much guarantee that any leaks of the actual next-gen iPhone will be disregarded. Brushed aside, if you will. "Pfft. We already know what the iPhone looks like. This must just be some Chinese Android phone...it is pretty though."

Now, I'm not saying for a moment that this will be the case. This is pure speculation on my part. But I wouldn't rule it out. And Apple is exactly the kind of company that would pull something like that.

Either way, we'll find out in about a week and a half. I can't wait :)

Molecule
    :apple:

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Fail

3. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

I've thought about this myself. It would be peculiar if the leaked pictures were nothing but decoys.

4. Molecule thread starter macrumors regular

Why the fail? Is there something wrong with speculating that a company which is as secretive as some intelligence agencies (well, almost) - a company which has had a huge number of leaks for such a secretive company of late - may have pushed out a decoy device to the media?

5. calvy macrumors 65816

I personally hope it is the case that the leaks are fakes. But I doubt it.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I doubt it, but it would be hilarious. The speculation has always made the product out to be better than it really is but I'm pretty sure this is for real.

7. Molecule thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not suggesting they're fakes churned out by some Chinese knock-off maker - I'm suggesting that they could potentially (with particular emphasis on the could part of that) be fakes made by Apple itself in order to trick people into thinking they know what the next iPhone's going to look like :)

8. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

9. Chew macrumors member

Thought of this myself already :) Some people were speculating this all only happened to see what people think of the new design. Well, why not?

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It costs tens of millions of dollars to design a phone and bring it to the point of refinement we see in these prototypes (not to mention the millions in lost sales of the 3GS due to these leaks). Apple is a publicly held company with a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders. There is no way that they could justify that kind of expense just so Steve Jobs can have a "gotcha" moment at WWDC.

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

12. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

One thing we know for sure: either the leaked phones are fake OR they are real.

13. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

As I've posted on every thread of this kind, it would be just stupid idea.

What's the guarantee that people would like the new design at all? or so much more than the current leaked one?

It just does not make any sense and it's a huge, huge gamble.

14. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

It would only be funny if the final version was superior to the leaks. But yeah, I have thought about it:D

15. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

As a stockholder, I would be extremely pissed if Apple was throwing away money on stupid **** like you're describing.

16. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

This might be the dumbest post I ever read.

Apple filing false police report = then in hot water legally. Its the phone, deal with it.

Dumb.

17. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

They probably are real, and I'm 99% sure they will be the final production phones, but I do find it quite suspicious that so many have leaked... Seriously, how many of these things have we seen?

With the first gen iPhone, we got nothing. With the 3G, we got a single blurry photo of the back. Now we have iPhone prototypes leaking like they're out of fashion!

18. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It wouldn't be a false police report, the phone that was lost whether the real iphone 4 or just a decoy prototype was Apples property... So the police report was real either way.

As for the original speculation, I highly doubt this to be the case as there are now too many factors involved which point to this being the next iphone. But it's very intriguing nevertheless. I for one am anxiously and eagerly waiting for the keynote just out of pure curiosity.... Stranger and crazier things have happened.

19. Molecule thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe. I still like my idea better though :p
    For you and me, tens of millions seems like an awful lot of money. But for a company worth billions, it's just spare change.
    Jon Ive designed it. 'Nuff said.
    If I was an Apple shareholder, I'd be more than happy for Jobs to invest in things like this if he thought it would yield a significant return.
    It's not a false police report. It's still stolen property. Duh.

Dumb. :p

I should point out, as I've stated before, I'm not suggesting for a moment that this is the case. I'm just saying it would be foolish to completely rule it out.

And besides, who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory every now and again? :p

20. tuna macrumors 6502

I disagree. If they intentionally set the phone up to be taken, then they are definitely still committing a crime. Thats like saying that Balloon boys parents weren't committing a crime because their son was "missing". They made the kid go missing. The guy is going to jail.

If Apple really was going to run a scheme like this, they would have to be much more confident in their ability to control leaks than they have proved to be in the past.

21. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Hopefully this is true, but I just think that Apple will change something about the current casing design a bit.

22. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Just to play devil's advocate for a sec, what would guarantee that people would like the new design if no leaks had ever happened? Like if Apple just brought the new phone out from behind the black curtain or whatever and no one (consumer-wise) had had any idea what it would look like until they first saw it June 7, and all they had to compare it to was the previous 3 iterations?

I agree that it's probably not practical or possible that the leaks were fakes, but it's kinda interesting to think about.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I wouldn't doubt that Apple might drop a false prototype somewhere, but, I find it very unlikely in this case. When you get to the search warrant/confiscating property as evidence stage, it better be real. That is why I think it was dumb of Apple to go in that direction.