Wouldn't it be great if you could text from your Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by groove-agent, Nov 21, 2011.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't come up with this already. If you are working at your Mac, wouldn't it be great if your iPhone somehow tethered your text messages to an app on your Mac so you could text using your Mac keyboard?

I'm sure we've all been there: working away at our computers and having to stop to pick up our phones to text back to someone. Wouldn't it be nicer to just tab to a chat app and keep going?

Yes, they do have the new chat IM app, but it only works with people with other Macs, iPhones and iPods.

If anyone has found a third party solution, please let me know!

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

GV's what I use. I can send/receive SMS from anything that can access the GV site.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I think we'll get something similar when iMessage eventually gets ported to the Mac.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But that's a different number.

I get the OP's point. When I'm at my Mac and I hear an e-mail, I just hit command-tab and switch to e-mail. Then I hear a text message I have to get my phone out and type on the little keyboard even though my Mac's right in front of me.

I understand the history of how we ended up here, but it IS kind of lame that my choice of keyboard and screen is limited by how the sender chose to send me a message.

5. walie macrumors 6502a

Already Done

And people say you don't need to jailbreak your phone anymore :rolleyes:

6. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

7. commendatori, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

commendatori macrumors newbie

I'd be more excited about this if Lion wasn't such an ogre. My wife and I both eagerly upgraded to Lion as soon as it came out. She (Macbook Air) switched back about 2 weeks in, and I (Macbook Pro) followed about 2 weeks after that. It was just a bloated, clunky and dumbed-down user experience. I refuse to go back to Lion for iCloud or even the eventual iMessage port unless Apple somehow strips out all the "iOS-inspired" bloatware-like features (Launchpad, document auto-save, auto-open last used windows and apps on reboot and launch, even the App Store makes me gag). Sorry for the anti-Lion rant.

EDIT: Looks like WifiSMS and DeskSMS may be suitable for this purpose.

8. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Well you better get used to it. As we move forward osx and ios will become more and more alike.

:apple:

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Of the 5 Lion problems you listed, 3 of them are optional things.

I'm not saying you have to use Lion, but why not just list the 2 things that are actually problems instead of making a long list of things no one's forcing you to use?

10. szolr macrumors 6502

I sure hope so. :)

11. commendatori macrumors newbie

It just doesn't make sense to me. Both OSes are great because they're optimized for the device they're designed for. I can accept a little innovation or adaptation from one OS to the other, but why do they have to be the same?

I'm just saying Lion felt clunky and slow on my MBP, and my wife couldn't play The Sims 3 on her Air because of poor/outdated/nonexistent video drivers. The overall feel of the OS made the aforementioned new features stick out like sore thumbs and feel more like hindrances.

I might as well have to type CMD+R, then services.aapl. From there I could disable unnecessary services.

My apologies for going off-topic.