Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I understand Apple will probably unveil the iPhone 6 on September 9th.

The iPhone 5 was unveiled on September 12, 2012 and released on September 21, 2012. Many, many, many people are still under their 2-year commitment from the iPhone 5 or 5s.

It wouldn't make any sense for Apple to release the iPhone 6 before September 21st. The launch day sales would be terrible and the media would bash the product. It would also give people time to determine whether or not they really want it instead of buying on release day anyways.

Can someone please clear this up with me? It just wouldn't make much sense. Also, if apple were to allow pre-orders like the iPhone 5 before September 21st, would i still be eligible for the upgrade if it isn't released until after the 21st? Thanks.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Well the pre-orders will happen, there was some leaked promo pictures from Germany and China, not sure about the whole date thing.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Many AT&T folks have stated their contract can be upgraded now. Verizon is a different story.

I just checked my upgrade date and it's the 21st, with Verizon.

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 2.32.13 PM.png

This means, we won't be able to place our order until that date, meaning by that time, the shipping times will probably have slipped weeks to months.

Now this could all be avoided if they either don't take orders until after that, or Verizon bumps us up :)

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
I honestly don't think Apple has the consumer's upgrade eligibilities on their minds when they are looking to launch product.

If anything, people are still going to buy no matter what whether it is an upgrade or buying outright which I am going to do.

Either way Apple is going to still make a lot of money with or without catering to the needs of those waiting to upgrade.

Last edited:

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Many AT&T folks have stated their contract can be upgraded now. Verizon is a different story.

View attachment 488545

This means, we won't be able to place our order until that date, meaning by that time, the shipping times will probably have slipped weeks to months.

Now this could all be avoided if they either don't take orders until after that, or Verizon bumps us up :)
Yes, I'd assume a at leasts a couple of months to ship. One of my lines is eligible for an upgrade now, while the other is not eligible until October 5th, which doesn't make much sense. Both lines had the iPhone 5 on launch day (September 21st) with full discount upgrade.

I honestly don't think Apple has the consumer's upgrade eligibilities on their minds when they are looking top launch product.

If anything, people are still going to buy no matter what whether it is an upgrade or buying outright which I am going to do.

Either way Apple is going to still make a lot of money with or without catering to the needs of those waiting to upgrade.
Apple is a business. They want to make money, profits. One way to do that is to release a product when the most amount of people are eligible to.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I upgraded to the 5 on launch day. I got a text today that I am eligible for full upgrade pricing as of today.

In my experience with AT&T, the exact date has not been important. As long as I am within the same month I have not had any problems upgrading by pre ordering through Apple.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I don't think it matters. Their first weekend sales numbers are determined by how many they have available. The amount of people willing to buy will be far greater than their supply, so they'll sell what they have either way.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

The iPhone 5 was unveiled on September 12, 2012 and released on September 21, 2012. Many, many, many people are still under their 2-year commitment from the iPhone 5 or 5s.

It wouldn't make any sense for Apple to release the iPhone 6 before September 21st. The launch day sales would be terrible and the media would bash the product. It would also give people time to determine whether or not they really want it instead of buying on release day anyways.

Can someone please clear this up with me? It just wouldn't make much sense. Also, if apple were to allow pre-orders like the iPhone 5 before September 21st, would i still be eligible for the upgrade if it isn't released until after the 21st? Thanks.

Eligibility resets on the first of the month.

So, no, the 21st wouldn't make sense. Its also a Sunday.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Yes, I'd assume a at leasts a couple of months to ship. One of my lines is eligible for an upgrade now, while the other is not eligible until October 5th, which doesn't make much sense. Both lines had the iPhone 5 on launch day (September 21st) with full discount upgrade.

Apple is a business. They want to make money, profits. One way to do that is to release a product when the most amount of people are eligible to.

Yes, valid point they are a business. And a successful one at that, and I'm sure due to their successes they have some of the best economic analysts money can buy and if they voted on holding for consumer's upgrade eligibilities across the board it may make them a few extra million, but in the long run it will not happen.

Not everyone is on the same upgrade cycle and a majority of the smartphone (Apple) consumers may not line up with their eligibilities and launch date, but doesn't mean history hasn't proven people won't shell out money on pre-order/launch day whether they are eligible or not. People will buy the iPhone, and this particular iPhone, no matter what.

I'm sure people on the S cycle will even buy off-contract if they are able to and it's economically viable to themselves. The iPhone is a cash cow. And I'm sure Apple didn't consider upgrade eligibilities when switching the months in which they had the iPhone keynotes.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
My contract expires September 17. Does that mean Apple should release the phone on September 17? Nope, Apple will release the phone when Apple wants to. There are many people on phones before the iPhone 5 that will upgrade this year! :)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

It's been discussed on another thread that VZW can, you just have to speak with the right person at the right time, etc.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I honestly don't think Apple has the consumer's upgrade eligibilities on their minds when they are looking to launch product.

This ^^

My bet is Sept. 19.

:apple:

Also, most carriers will allow an upgrade on the first day of the month in which your are eligible for an upgrade. I know that AT&T does, and I thought VZW did too. If that’s still the case, then there’s no real difference between a 9/19 or 9/21 launch date.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Were previous iPhones ACTUALLY backed up on orders for weeks and months? Like with evidence?

I walked Into my att store 3 days after the i5 launch, picked one up and left.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

So, here we go again with yet another complaint regarding the release date interfering with some who might have to wait a few short days to place an order to get yet another apple phone on contract. Goodness sakes people, don't you have a life outside of a cell phone, and can wait a little longer ? Just listen to yourself ranting about this. Look in the mirror and repeat what you just wrote. It's sad.

Don't worry, you will get the phone, just a bit longer.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Bit of advice for those worried that Verizon or any carrier won't let them upgrade because their eligibility date is the 21st...

Simply inform your carrier that you wish to terminate your contract as you are going to change provider...they will very quickly allow you to upgrade on the 19th rather than lose you as a customer.

My1stApple

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Pre orders

I called Verizon a few minutes ago and they can only bump up mine 7 days. That's 5 days after sept 9, which will be of no use for preorders. I'll try again on the 9th after we know for sure and see if I have better luck :(

My1stApple

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Bit of advice for those worried that Verizon or any carrier won't let them upgrade because their eligibility date is the 21st...

Simply inform your carrier that you wish to terminate your contract as you are going to change provider...they will very quickly allow you to upgrade on the 19th rather than lose you as a customer.

I did exactly that and nothing. I'll try again later and see.

dndandrea

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Yes, valid point they are a business. And a successful one at that, and I'm sure due to their successes they have some of the best economic analysts money can buy and if they voted on holding for consumer's upgrade eligibilities across the board it may make them a few extra million, but in the long run it will not happen.

Not everyone is on the same upgrade cycle and a majority of the smartphone (Apple) consumers may not line up with their eligibilities and launch date, but doesn't mean history hasn't proven people won't shell out money on pre-order/launch day whether they are eligible or not. People will buy the iPhone, and this particular iPhone, no matter what.

I'm sure people on the S cycle will even buy off-contract if they are able to and it's economically viable to themselves. The iPhone is a cash cow. And I'm sure Apple didn't consider upgrade eligibilities when switching the months in which they had the iPhone keynotes.
Unless people have the iPhone 4/4S, or some older android device, they're likely still under a 2-year commitment plan and will have to pay $800+ for a iPhone 6... $800 or $200, apple is still likely earning the around the same profit... why not go for the $200 where MANY, MANY, MANY more people will be willing to buy it?

I couldn't careless when I get the iPhone 6 (or if i'll even buy one), i'm just trying to be rational here while people keep thinking the iPhone 6 is going to be released earlier than expected.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Not going to be an issue.

The cost to get that new phone for most will be the real issue. No more "free" upgrades folks.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Unless people have the iPhone 4/4S, or some older android device, they're likely still under a 2-year commitment plan and will have to pay $800+ for a iPhone 6... $800 or $200, apple is still likely earning the around the same profit... why not go for the $200 where MANY, MANY, MANY more people will be willing to buy it?

I couldn't careless when I get the iPhone 6 (or if i'll even buy one), i'm just trying to be rational here while people keep thinking the iPhone 6 is going to be released earlier than expected.

Since when is rational thought and business synonymous? These are two disparate ideas worlds apart from each other. An idealist thought process versus business "ethics". Not a perfect world.

Also, how is apple still making the same profit if someone is paying $200 vs $800? That's a $600 difference right there. I'm not sure how it works with carriers buying stock, but that's still a huge margin between subsidized and unsubsidized purchasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.