Wouldnt it be nice to dock your iPhone/Touch in your Macbook and use it as the track?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gan6660, Aug 18, 2008.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

With all the talk of glass track padsI was thinking of how cool it be to have an option to dock your iPhone/iPod Touch in the track pad area and use it to control your laptop!:apple:

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i would hate that.... what if you get a phone call...

3. ShaneR macrumors member

lol...what good would come from this? Innovative but pointless...:p

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

True. Can't be on a call and on your Mac at the same time.

5. zango macrumors member

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I don't really see what the advantage of having an iPhone/iPod touch as a trackpad instead of having a glass trackpad built-in.

7. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

This would also mean that you couldn't purchase one without the other. :(

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

what?? ... how would a iphone / touch require a macbook?

9. yorkslad macrumors regular

10. zango macrumors member

hey, give the guy a break, think about it this way.

current macbook does not support multi-touch.

the ipod touch could be connected via usb to the macbook and double as a second trackpad which could provide multi-touch support and possibly images displayed onto it.

meh?

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

they probably will in about a month ...

12. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Okay...if you were relying on the touch screen of the ipod or iphone as your single source of trackpad on the macbook...then aside from purchasing a mouse with the macbook, what would you use?
    ...and think about it, you wouldn't want a macbook without the function of the mouse.

As, a secondary source...completely different ballgame.

There would probably be two sales options (if the touchpad were the sole source of the trackpad)
    iphone (by itself)
    macbook and iphone

Which even then, what would you do...if you purchased the iphone without intention of having a macbook, and later changed your mind?

All in all...this whole concept seems bogus to me.

13. timestoby macrumors 6502

now that would be cool. maybe use it as a tablet for drawing etc. suppose someone will come out with something like that

14. sportsnut macrumors regular

4 sure

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Why couldn't there be a pop-out trackpad which you would pop out and put your touch/iPhone into the hole? Then if you didn't have a touch/iPhone, just use the original pop-out trackpad.

16. axiomission macrumors member

Well, I do know that there is an App for iPhone/iPod that allows you to connect to a remote desktop and control the screen activity from your the phone/ipod. I used it myself.

Is that what you were thinking along the lines of?

17. DaleMassey macrumors member

Although it would be an interesting feature, I cant see Apple doing it. It would ruin the design of the computer.

18. skir0987 macrumors regular

I remember this app... it worked pretty well too. I think it's still available in installer for jailbroken iPod Touches / iPhones... not sure if it works on 2.0 though.

19. actorkid macrumors 6502

ive had an idea like this for a while

macbooks don't have multitouch

is there no way to make an app for the iPhone that will communicate with a driver/application in your macbook to allow you to use the iPhone as a multitouch pad via bluetooth?

my mighty mouse connects through bluetooth, why wouldnt the iPhone be able to?

if this is at all possible with the app store and stuff...i would pay money for it

edit: just adding that the idea of it DOCKING in the macbook is honestly, retarded, and makes no sense, but being able to tether it....now thats what im talking about

20. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

yet... (give it a few weeks ;))

currently the iPhone's BT can only be used to hook up a mono headset... i think this is a stupid restriction, but that's how it is.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because the might mouse is a mouse and the iPhone is a phone and the only controller the screen interacts with its the phone.

That's not PC. ;)

22. macdot macrumors 6502

Neat idea, it'll never happen and I don't think I'd ever use it.

23. jakeacc macrumors regular

Having a cable connecting the iphone/ipod to your macbook doesnt sound THAT appealing of an alternative to using the standard macbook's trackpad.

BUT if it were connected via Wifi or blutooth, it would be become much more appealing and the use for it would open up. Say you've connected your Macbook (or even Mac tower) to your HDTV. Now, from the comfort of your couch, you can navigate the mouse, have multitouch capabilities, maybe even use the iphones on-screen keyboard.

If this were possible, I wouldn't need to spend money on a blutooth mouse and keyboard, which are expensive and take up space and do not have multi-touch capabilities.

Surely, I'm not the only one to think this would be a cool feature.

24. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

This sounds like a fail sandwich with failsauce topping on the side to me. Sorry. More work for devs, more expense for people who want to make full use of their laptop, majority of apps will either ignore it or use it for "lipstick on a pig" type of stuff.

Having it around linked via bluetooth as a secondary input source works well as an idea for me.