Wouldn't my Pro ship with Lion if I bought after the release?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by biodigitaljazz, Jul 8, 2011.

1. biodigitaljazz macrumors member

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched and couldn't find it. I suffer from a dial up internet connection, and therefore, an inability to download a 4GB file from the Mac App store, not to mention an album from the iTunes store. So if I wait til after the 14th to buy my 13" Pro for college, wouldn't it just ship with Lion on it?

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

If you live near an Apple Store, they will be allowing people to bring their machines in to download Lion once released. In fact, they are apparently getting some stuff done in an overnight planogram shift this weekend to get ready for the launch (new signage, upgrading RAM on some of the display machines, etc.). Whether or not the machine ships with Lion depends on how long after release. Since they are not making discs anymore, the only way to get it on new machines immediately after Lion drops would via download. I'd wager that there will be a 2-3 week period before machines start appearing in stores with Lion preinstalled in any significant capacity.

3. biodigitaljazz thread starter macrumors member

So in that case, I may as well buy the machine now? I mean, why wait, if it won't ship, if I could just go to a friend's house on the 14th to upgrade the OS to the latest and greatest.

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Unless you're going to wait for 3+ weeks, then I'd go ahead and buy it. I know that I will be downloading it at work (the corporate LAN is a lot faster than my cable modem) - and yes, we are allowed to do that. You could also probably go to a coffee shop, library, even a college campus and piggyback on free WiFi to download it as well. There's plenty of options available in terms of how to obtain Lion once released.

5. Unknownn macrumors newbie

They actually are making DVDs of Lion to ship with the new computers for a little bit but they will not be for retail

6. biodigitaljazz thread starter macrumors member

Well yeah, you know, I'd like to have my computer soon, so I can sell my old one and my old TV for some money that I need. If it came down to it, I could get it at college, but school starts Aug 22... which would suck to wait for. The local library has almost as piss-poor internet as I do, unfortunately.

7. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Starbucks?

8. craighton macrumors member

craighton

Yes Apple generally is punctual when they do software releases. After Lion gets released within 24-hours or so it will come with Lion pre-installed.

If you find yourself unable to download such a massive file like that, try your local library to download the file, they generally have fast internet. Or I'm sure if you take it to the Apple store they will have it locally there to transfer.