WOW 7 days left..

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Oct 27, 2008.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

man i cant believe 7 days left it still feels like a few weeks ago we were watching the dem/rep debates thinkin Hillary and Romey were gonna be the nominees and then the final race down to Hillary/obama man cant belive this will be over by next tuesday it will fell weird not turning on the news and hering about debates and Campains. Hopefully Come next Tuesday we will have Change we can belive in :) Go obama

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I am just glad it is so close so I can stop seeing all of these "Go Obama" threads wasting up space here :rolleyes:

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm getting wound up myself, and I can't wait for the actual election. It'll be so nice to see the other party taking a beating for a change. Not to mention people basing their decisions on hope instead of fear.

With regards to what we expected this election to be vs. what it is -- there's a great book out there waiting to be written about the whole thing.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

How many chickens are you expecting?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm looking forward to it being over. As of Sunday night at 7:30, 26.9% of the active registered voters in Colorado have already voted either by mail-in ballots or early voting. I expect the total to rise close to 50% having already voted by election day.

www.govotecolorado.com

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

60. ;)

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, you guys have a nice little lawsuit on your hands too, don't you? I hate hearing all this voter fraud/illegal purges/other voting crap. I hope things don't get too bad this go around. :(

8. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah. And I can't believe that Tina Fey guessed correctly who the two candidates would be. In an episode of 30 Rock in April of 2007, her character said "I tell all my friends that I will vote for Barack Obama, but I will secretly vote for John McCain", at a time when nobody dreamed that those two would be the final contestants.

And what were the odds that McCain would pick a VP candidate who was a spitting image of Tina Fey, and that this candidate would be a blithering idiot who made a fool of herself in an interview with Katie Couric, enabling Fey -- who just happened to be an ex head writer for the one show that's been mocking every president since Gerald Ford -- to return to SNL and trash Palin to the point where nobody could tell fiction from reality anymore. Fey was instrumental in getting the anti-Palin bandwagon up to good speed, and look what that did to McCain.

Ahh, divine convergence.

[​IMG]

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This is going to be the longest 7 days of my life.
    Here in Oregon every other commercial on television is now some kind of political message. I'm sick of them.

I'm going into stasis for a week in hopes I wake up with a better president.

10. pooky macrumors 6502

Wow, all those words, and just one punctuation mark. I know you're excited, but take a breath, dude. Reading this was like a literary skull****ing.

That being said, I'll be happy when it's over. I got tired of this election much later than I normally do, but I still got tired of it. Here's to hoping this election helps to put us back on track for being good global citizens again.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

To be exact, polls open in less than 6.5 days! Go Obama.

6days, 11hours, 09minutes

OK, I mean 8 minutes. :)

tick tock tick tock

7 minutes, yes, I am counting.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Every other? Consider yourself lucky.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

A legion of people can sit out the election in New York and California, and Obama will still win those states. But I do advocate voting. ;)

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I don't know about NY, but CA has some important down ticket races and ballot measures to turn out for.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- and lets not forget about the popular vote. EVERYONE needs to vote. I don't care where you live.

17. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

UK :(

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I remember when we had this hated strong armed vice principal sit in and teach social science and civics at my high school. Though he was a jerk as a code enforcer and part time cop after school, his political science and law background in college and graduate school gave us the big picture.

First we studied capitalism vs. communism and found out the then Soviet Union, China, and the United States actually had more in common and that there was no such thing as a pure capitalist or communist state.

We learned that the Speaker of the House was the real power behind the USA with Senate Majority Leader a close second.

And finally, we learned that ballot measures would affect our lives far, far more than the "President" or any elected official.

The first instance of these issues I learned in high school was when I was finishing up my labor/employment law based BA degree 15 year ago. Then when I studied tax law a couple of years later, and his statement about the Speaker of the House, and the House in general rang true. And today more than a decade later, as a law student, I am astounded at the power of the ballot measures and realize that they are more than just mere numbers or letters of the alphabet.

From high school to junior college to college to graduate school to law school I have been taught that there are powers than run our country besides the President. Why the heck do you think Newt Gingrich and Bob Dole had those ****-eaten grins on their faces through most of the 1990s :). Jerks!

Well anyway, 6 days, 1 hour, and change until polls open in USA.

19. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I really,really wish the world could vote..

But alas..*sigh*
    :(

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Thank goodness its almost over. The latest figures in Colorado show that 36.7% of the active registered voters have already cast their ballots.

www.govotecolorado.com

Attached Files:

21. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Explain to me something about Colorado voting if you could.

The graph shows about 2.6 million active voters but only 1.6 million mail-in ballots sent. Is mail-in balloting a choice in Colorado ? In otherwords do mail-in ballots only go out to those that request them ?

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Correct, mail in ballots only are sent to those who request them.

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Colorado is a swing state/battleground state in being that electoral-vote.com shows Obama with a slight 51-44 lead there so by no means is it safe for the Democrats (like California or New York) even though now it's 5 days 22 hours left until all states start the polling process.

I wonder who shows the early lead in that state? It may not tell what will ultimately happen but it could be a good indicator how some other barely blue or barely red states are going to vote.

This election, like the two previous ones before it are going to be looking at states with single digit leads for one candidate or the other and especially states that are statistically tied.

I think early votes are going to show more bias towards the Democrats so an early tally may not tell the whole story until the whole state is counted. In the past early voting showed GOP leads but many of those states, regardless of the winner, would turn out blue. Only time will tell.