WOW! any one checked out Sprint TV any chance we'll get this on the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Oct 2, 2007.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I checked out a friends new krazer today and it had sprint TV and I have to say it was pretty awesome. About 50 channels that you can stream to your phone. Most you had to pay for (only 7.95 a month for about 40 channels) but about 10 were free including disney, fox news, cnn, live nascar racing and a bunch more. If a crappy little krazer can get this kind of service why can't we get this on the iphone. Come on At&t and Apple with cool apps like this as soon as the touch phones start coming out on other networks the iphone starts to look old. ( maybe I'm crazy but that Sprint TV was really cool.) By the way I have and love my iphone and since I got it I have not felt any cell phone envy....until today.

2. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure youd need 3G speeds in order to watch television on the iphone besides that, it would rock! with that huge screen, its just made for video.

3. specops macrumors regular

edge tv= very bad don't see a point in it
    wifi tv= could work but only with hotspots...

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, you need a Power Vision (3G, EV-DO) phone to get Sprint TV. It works pretty well overall, but Sprint has recently reduced the size of the video and they barely used over half of the display for video at most. Instead of 320x240 turned sideways, they show the video in 240x320 mode with much of the display covered with graphics.

They've also changed the lineup but they have a decent number of channels, depending on how much you're willing to pay, similar to cable t.v. They even have a Spanish lineup.

If Apple goes through with subscription video in 2008 with the addition of 3G data speeds, iPhone users could definitely be enjoying streaming t.v.

5. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The krazer I was watching it on had a very small screen and the video took up the whole screen. Alot of the channels were pay but quite a few were free and it was only $7.95 a month for the rest of the channels.:D

6. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

aHAH! how much did sprint pay you to post this here???

lol

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

And closer to home, AT&T has their Video Share service for their 3G phones, where one user can send live video to another while talking. (Forget MMS!)

Video Share Demos

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

glad to see the competition is getting off their lazy asses and making something good...

This can only be good for us! fight on!

9. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Video Share is so dumb its like a live mms, they should have video calls by now, cmon.

It must be pretty weird watching fullscreen video on a krzr and using it sideways.

10. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

They have had 2 way video calling in Europe for years.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's a start.

Tell me about it. Back in the '60s we were promised that by 2000, we'd take vacations on the moon, drive atomic powered flying cars, and use videophones.

I feel ripped off :cool:

12. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Thats pretty cool.
    I wonder if you can see tv normally or is it stop and go depending on the signal you're getting on the area etc...

13. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

actually watching it on the krzr screen was cool. It is pretty small though and you don't have to turn it sideways.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Even their product photos don't show video that takes up the whole screen on the KRZR. This one shows Media Player, which uses a smaller graphic area than the Sprint TV application.

Attached Files:

15. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i was not watching the weather channel but besides the small menu at the bottom the rest of the screen was the video. But that small menu it no where near half the screen.

16. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

so is it live tv?
    Like lets say can I watch a football or baseball game thats on tv at the moment thru my phone?
    Or is it totally different 3G stream channels.

17. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it looked like the only thing you could watch live was NASCAR which would make sense since they are the series sponser. They also stream the races live on NASCAR.com so I would guess if it streaming live on the Internet then you could get it on the phone. Mostly though its episodes of tv programs that have already aired.

18. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I've used this for nearly 2 years on my Sprint Treo 700p.
    MobiTV and Sprint TV gets me live tv, 50 channels, satellite radio... all in the palm of my hand.

THIS is why I have an iPhone (phoneless) and keep my Treo also.
    I sure wish Apple would join the rest of us in the current decade.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They had an NFL channel last year as a special but I don't watch football, though they showed some game when I tried it.

I'm not really sure what's live, though they call it live. They have a CNN news feed, which replaced ABC News Now, and that seems live, but a lot of the programming seems to have been recorded. It's about like tv on demand.

20. hxe3333 macrumors member

Anyone used MobileCast.app from installer.app?

It seems like enable you to download podcast directly to iphone through rss feed, but i can't get videos working... Is this supporsed to be for audio only at this moment?

If you can get this work with videos, it'll be pretty cool. This isn't live tv, but for example cnn is updating their video many times a day! So, almost tv!?

21. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I would GLADLY take a SlingBox app over SprintTV in a second. Did the same with my Treo 700wx when I was with Sprint.

Didn't pay them for their TV app.

22. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree with you. While Apple did give us a phone with a UI years ahead of everyone else. Its years behind in pure mobile entertainment. No games, no streaming tv shows, no live tv shows. It seems other carriers have had these for years why can't apple figure out how to do it. I think as soon as they figure out how they can make a buck off it we will see it. The technology is there they just don't want to give it to us.

23. divabimbers macrumors member

Slingbox would be much better, and I think it is more of a possibility than we think with AT&T talking with EchoStar about Slingbox. It all boils down to how talks go and if AT&T wants to do something like this for the iPhone. I do hope they consider this since I imagine a lot more people would want to buy the iPhone if it had Slingbox capability, particularly with the screen being perfect for this sort of thing.

See here for what I mean:

http://www.thestreet.com/s/att-echostar-talks-heat-up/newsanalysis/techtelecom/10381691.html?puc=_googlen?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

24. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had heard slingbox has already aligned themselves with the windows mobile platform. I dont think that Bill and company will be to happy if they make it work with the iphone. It might come to AT&T but I think only for the phones that run windows mobile.

25. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Why? They have a Mac client. I don't see how they have aligned themselves with only Windows Moblie. More clients the more money they make.