Wow, didn't take long for the Sarah Palin scandal to grow

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's only Day 2 since Sarah Palin was announced as John McCain's running mate, and already the cracks are showing -- and they're not in Hillary Clinton's glass ceiling.

This Wooten guy sounds like a real character. Yet it's too bad for Palin that she didn't take Monegan's advice.

All of this just doesn't sound good, and certainly doesn't speak well for her "executive experience". (Remember?) More like someone whose office is a wee bit out of control.

Gonna be great fodder for the Democrats and the media. We haven't heard the last of this, I'm sure.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A corrupt Alaskan Republican? I'm shocked I tells ya! :D

3. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I agree with you completely: Wooten sounds like a jackass who needs to be fired, but Palin shouldn't have been involved at all.

Between that, and her support of the "bridge to nowhere" before she changed her mind, that squeaky clean image is looking a little dingy already.

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The part that is most telling to me..

I did the bolding.
    While this doesn't look good, it isn't damning. If we knew more of the Rezko deal they maybe on the same lines of McCain and keating. At least Palin has welcomed and is cooperating with the investigation, unlike Obama and Rezko where lots of records are not available or released.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Of course we haven't. As long as you're on the watch. :)

As Palin's opponents keep digging in the mud I'll hazard a guess at the title of your next thread. Ah-hem...

"Yet another scandal involving Sarah Palin."

:D

Here are some goodies from Politico.com.

6. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Shocked:rolleyes:

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

New controversy?

I couldn't say if I believe the above information or not, but it certainly won't be good for the McCain campaign if it turns out to be true.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wait, a scandal because her questions led to somebody who tasered a kid gets fired.

Where is the scandal, must be over letting someone like that stay on the force too long. :rolleyes:

9. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

is no one talking about her grandson, Trig?

That's a pretty big scandal, too..

edit: it5five beat me!

edit 2: just because you guys really need to read this

read the evidence and see the photos here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/30/121350/137

10. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I don't know if it's true, but if so, I'm not sure it would be a big loss for their campaign. They already have to have lost anyone who cares about abortion rights, and the hard-line pro-lifers have nowhere else to go. Plus, they could spin it as them protecting their daughter. I don't know.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As long as the birth certificate is correct, who really should care about how a family wants to introduce the baby to the world.

Heck, they'd probably get more of the redneck vote with this revelation. :p

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This made my night.

I have little doubt that it's true...the daughter is out for eight months with mono, Sarah flies eight hours after her water breaks and travels to a rural clinic to deliver her baby 4 weeks premature...too many things don't fit together.

And this is certainly not belly fat (I see belly fat every day at school on sorority girls who drink too much beer and wear tight clothes):
    http://gov.state.ak.us/photos/PalinFamily_Outside_v01.jpg

If it's true faking a pregnancy is not only creepy as hell but requires spinning a huge web of lies and deception, and certainly makes abstinence only education look like a joke.

13. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I think you meant to post this pic:

[​IMG]

Yes, she definitely looks pregnant here, as opposed to

[​IMG]
    (taken within days of the pic above)

And if anyone has ever known a woman who has been pregnant several times, you know that by the 3rd or 4th pregnancy, the woman's belly pops out early and just gets bigger, no matter how fit the woman is. This isn't about being thin or fit, it's about the fact that the stomach muscles and everything never quite go back to pre-pregnancy shape, so when there's pressure from within, the belly pops out.

Again, I'm not sure it will matter in the election, just my opinion that the theory has some legs.

14. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, this is rich! A second scandal, totally unrelated to the trooper thing. If it's true (and no disrespect to DailyKos, but I'd like to see it confirmed by the NYT or WP), then not only is her cred completely out the window, not only is the McCain campaign even more damaged, but Palin will ensure that only the third woman ever to run for high office (after Ferraro and Clinton) made a laughing stock of herself.

Gonna be reeeeal interesting from here to November.

15. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Going BACK to the first, verified scandal (if that's possible)... AMAZINGLY the vetting process was not very good for Mognehan's replacement.

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2008/08/apparently-palin-is-as-bad-vetter-as-is.html
    A news report read the details off in a string of embarrassing details, given the brewing storm:
    http://www.adn.com/news/politics/story/475539.html
    Read about the handling though... some details to bug the CRAP out of you:
    I'm betting that Kopp's personally affirmations of faith really made most in the administration, especially Palin... believe they were getting a white knight sent from God. People... next time, just do your job and realize no one needs to be given a pass.
    ~ CB

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, that's why I said (at the beginning of the thread) that Palin gives the impression that her office is not in good control.

Re: the second scandal, I'm sure the major news outlets are working it.

Update: At least one blog which wrote about this issue had a link to a photograph that showed a supposedly pregnant Palin looking not pregnant at all. You'll get a 404 when you click that link, because that photograph has since been taken down. In fact, from the URL it looks like all the photos were taken down. That doesn't look suspicious. ;)

Same blog has a picture of her (attachment, below) at what is said to be six months. You be the judge.

Talk about a straight line.....

Attached Files:

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sure is lotsa "He said, she said," nonsense going on. E.g., a phone call for, "Hey, what's going on with....?" is indeed a "contact".

An Alaskan's view:

"Her income is low as gov's go, just over 80k. Todd's income is modest and his hours are long. These are NOT wealthy people, and the Mat-Su is a very rough area with extensive rural poverty.

Actually, Sarah is the only REAL person on either ticket. It's extremely rare to see that these days, and quite risky. The rest of the bunch are deep Washington insiders or in Obama's case part of a notorious urban machine."

And another's:

"The gov's mansion where she resides in Juneau is a modest place, and she doesn't own it of course.

Just walked by it the other day. You walk down Calhoun St. and there are houses along it, with driveways coming off the street, just plain ol' houses like anywhere in America. Then, one of them is the Governor's Mansion. There's no gate, no security, just a driveway off the street and a larger house with a bigger yard than the neighbors have. A small sign on the front door (a few yards off the sidewalk) says, "Private Residence. Please call XXX-XXXX for information on tours." That's all the "security" you see.

In the yard, there are some large trees. One of them has two homemade rope swings hanging from it. Instead of tires, they have rubber buoys tied onto them. There's a trampoline on the grass.

Then, as you walk up Calhoun, you come to the next driveway and the next plain old house.

This is a real family, and a real woman, in every sense, even in the Governor's Mansion. Reading through her bio, I am impressed with what she has done -- more than once, she's risked tossing away her political career on principle. It never seems that winning or personal ambition have come before her sense of right and wrong.

I live in a state with an incompetent, corrupt legislature, a Hollywood governor who has done a famous job playing a tough guy but doesn't seem to have real guts, where everyone seems to want to BS their way to more free stuff, and the idea of "principles" seems to be so 18th Century.

When I read about Sarah Palin, my first thought is, "Do people like this really exist in politics?"

Obama? Dime a dozen, and not worth that. The world seems full of people who cultivate an image, and who have behind-the-scenes people who have pushed them as the "next big thing." Reminds me of a pop star who is suddenly on the cover of every magazine -- everyone knows her name, but few people seem to even know any songs she sings.

But Sarah Palin? Whole different animal. So different, it seems that reporters don't even know what to do with her. Cognitive dissonance, big time, in their cynical world. And in mine, though I think that my reaction is probably the polar opposite.

I may not agree with her personal opinions on everything in the world, but that's not the point here. I hope she ends up in DC, and I think she's tough enough to take it. I just hope that it doesn't take too much out of her; she doesn't deserve that."

Of course the Alaska legislature is "investigating". She committed the unforgivable sin of being an outsider, and an honest one at that...

'Rat

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

EDIT: Didn't see the quotation marks in Desert's post.

Anyway, on the topic at hand, so who thinks Palin gave McCain some sexual satisfaction to get picked to be his VP? McCain only met her once for freaking sake. If all these scandals turn out to be true, it will make the Bill's lie about receiving oral in the oval office look like a little white lie.

19. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Oh please! Like you can tell from this picture? Her daughter in the green looks more pregnant than she does!

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Kidding or not, that is really out of line...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're right! She does look preggers. Here comes another scandal! :D

22. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm not sure which is more creepy, the possibility that she faked the pregnancy or the possibility that she endangered the life of a premature baby by choosing to fly back to Alaska after her water broke.

The former suggests that she's a scheming liar that will do anything to protect her image and that of her family. The latter suggests that while she may be anti-abortion, she might have been willing to put some extra strain on her pregnancy to test if it really was God's will that it survive.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, it was. I apologize. Not one my best posts. :(

24. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

This is nothing compared to the people Senator Obama knew closely: Reverend Jeremiah Wright (you're taken aback by some of his sermons! :eek: ), William Ayers (unrepentant former member of the notorious Weathermen terrorist group), and Tony Rezko (long laundry list of really shady dealings and recently convicted by the Feds).

People are finding out and a lot of Democrats are starting to get buyer's remorse.

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That was in fact my first thought when I heard the announcement that McCain had picked Palin as his VP.

That's exactly the point...read the link to Daily Kos above. Her daughter was pregnant, not her.