Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I'm at my local Apple store right now playing with the new Macs and I tried out the 1.86 Ghz Air with 4200 RPM drive and the 2.13 with SSD and they both play Hulu HD videos flawlessly. Looks like Apple increasing the speed of the GPU to 6x corrected the issue. If anyone is contemplating getting rid of their Rev A or B Air for this reason alone it's well worth it.

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I bought the 1.86 (without the SSD mind you) exactly because I played with both models at the Apple store and was amazed at how great the 1.86 performed and realized I'd rather buy that and spend the extra $300 on other things. It was running the following apps flawlessly at the same time: HD music video on YouTube, macrumors forum, movie on iTunes, Mail, iChat, iCal, and I had some loops going in garage band. I will NEVER have to have even half that many apps open at once..so the base model Air was a no-brainer. I'm sure the SSD model is a bit more future-proof, but I didn't notice it during my side by side comparisons (but keep in mind I am someone who turns on a computer and then goes to the bathroom or goes to get a drink and doesn't time how long it takes the computer to start up.)

I am absolutely in love with my MBA. I have never felt so inspired to use a computer as I have been with this one. I had a powerful MacBook that never left the house because it always seemed like a pain to carry around (not painful, just annoying). I realized what was the point of having a laptop if I was only going to use it at home...that's what I have an iMac for.

They can discontinue the air if they want, I already got mine : )

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Yes, the 2 GHz barrier is actually one that several HD video playback apps require for HD playback. For instance, iTunes HD video requires a 2 GHz CPU.

For those wanting to spend less, buy a refurbished rev B MBA with 1.86 and SSD for $1449. Probably brand new reboxed, and $50 cheaper, with same warranty and software, AND SSD!!! Which makes the biggest difference in the MBA. Without SSD, the MBA is a nice little Mac. With the SSD, the MBA is the coolest Mac ever, it's fast, it's fun, it's ultra portable, yet it feels like a Mac Pro!

BUT, for HD Video, I would recommend everyone get the 2.13 GHz SSD. ALSO, I noticed that I haven't had one stutter, nor one spinning ball, and have had excellent playback of all video on this new MBA!

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
Is the 2.0Ghz just an artificial limit for the most part? As in If I downloaded some blu ray torrents would they probably play fine on a 1.8Ghz ssd?

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Is the 2.0Ghz just an artificial limit for the most part? As in If I downloaded some blu ray torrents would they probably play fine on a 1.8Ghz ssd?

I have a 1.86/SSD and HD videos sometimes stutter a bit. It isn't bad, completely watchable, but it isn't perfect. As far as I know there are no artificial limitations.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I have a 1.86/SSD and HD videos sometimes stutter a bit. It isn't bad, completely watchable, but it isn't perfect. As far as I know there are no artificial limitations.

I have consistant issues with my 1.86 SSD w/hulu hd. Stutters like crazy, and unwatchable.

Pisses me off actually, and cannot find a fix, nor can I figure out why some can run it flawlessly.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
I have consistant issues with my 1.86 SSD w/hulu hd. Stutters like crazy, and unwatchable.

Pisses me off actually, and cannot find a fix, nor can I figure out why some can run it flawlessly.

I didn't try hulu, since they don't stream outside U.S. Can you actually download the file and then play? If not, are you 100% sure it isn't network connection issue? Does it happen when playing HD videos from your drive as well?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I didn't try hulu, since they don't stream outside U.S. Can you actually download the file and then play? If not, are you 100% sure it isn't network connection issue? Does it happen when playing HD videos from your drive as well?

Not a network issue, however I will try downloading some hd vids to test.
Quicktime works perfectly, as it should.

Thanks, will report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.