Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I was at my local apple store today and there were 8-10 people in there buying the 1st gen iPads. Do they not know that the refresh is this coming Friday? Maybe they were taking advantage of the discounted pricing but even with a discount I would still hold out this late in the game.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cost is the big factor plus there are people that don't need the extra speed etc!

Alot of businesses will take advantage of the discount!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
their are still a lot of people buying the iPhone 3GS in stores, and I just sold my iPhone 3G a few months ago on Craigslist (for $180). Some people don't need nor want the latest and greatest.

I also agree with Gav2k, cost is a factor.

Fireworld

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2011
The general public never have a clue when a new product is gonna launch. They're too busy getting laid everyday. ;)

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Thinking of picking up one myself on craigslist. I found one for $280 but man, talk about impulse purchase. I just bought a 2011 MBP 13.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
If you can get a great deal on it why not. I love having the latest toys but iPad 2 just isn't worth it IMO, if Apple lowered the prices I may have considered it.

vandal138

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2006
I couldn't justify spending more than $400 on one of these, thats why I just bought a refurbished 1st gen. If I end up really liking it and feel left behind, I'll just hold out for the ipad3 and hope that its actually got some significant updates.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I was at my local apple store today and there were 8-10 people in there buying the 1st gen iPads. Do they not know that the refresh is this coming Friday? Maybe they were taking advantage of the discounted pricing but even with a discount I would still hold out this late in the game.

The fact that you assumed they didn't know about iPad 2 says more about you than them.

If you don't need a faster processor and you have no desire to be the third person using Facetime on an iPad, what's the point of spending $100 more?

gaz81

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
Preston, UK
I was in the store in NY on 5th ave.

The staff were telling everyone that the new one is coming out, but lots of folk inc myself still got the first one!

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
In the UK, the base model has been reduced by £110 which is just about 25%. I had been holding off to get an iPad 2 but that sort of deal is just too much to pass up on so I picked up my iPad 16GB wifi yesterday. If apple had only knocked off £50, I'd have waited and got iPad 2 but the deal is just too good! I don't know how an iPad will fit into my life and see it as a bit of a luxury item so the cheaper the better for me. I have a iPhone 4 and a MacBook for skype video calling

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Believe it or not, not everybody needs, wants, or can afford the latest technology.

In the UK, the base model has been reduced by £110 which is just about 25%. I had been holding off to get an iPad 2 but that sort of deal is just too much to pass up on so I picked up my iPad 16GB wifi yesterday. If apple had only knocked off £50, I'd have waited and got iPad 2 but the deal is just too good!
So what you are saying is, for the sake of saving an extra £60, you decided to buy out-dated technology, and will almost certainly make a much bigger loss when you come to sell it relative to what you would lose on an iPad 2... Rather short-term thinking, no? The fact is, if you can afford £300+ for an iPad, you can afford £400+ or an iPad 2, but people get so caught up in tiny financial details...

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Faster graphics, thinner, lighter, gyro.

In the future there will be apps that don't support the iPad 1.
In the future there will be apps that don't support the iPad 2 also. It really isnt a big deal because a small percentage of people buy a large majority of the apps.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe they were taking advantage of the discounted pricing but even with a discount I would still hold out this late in the game.
Aside from the camera, there's really not much different between the two, from a consumers perspective. Speed, a few millimeters thinner and 2 ounces lighter.

I can totally understand why people are opting for the iPad 1. It will do nearly everything the iPad 2 can but at a much less price. Why spend the $$ on an iPad 2 if you're not interested in some of the main benefits

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
$349 for a like new refurb from Apple with brand new battery and full warranty...

Why would anyone looking for value buy anything else?

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Aside from the camera, which many people I know really don't even need/want on the iPad and its speed. There's really not much different.

I can totally understand why people are opting for the iPad 1. It will do nearly everything the iPad 2 can but at a much less price. Why spend the $$ on an iPad 2 if you're not interested in some of the main benefits
... because you don't have the cash. If you had the cash, you'd get an iPad 2 because the differences are numerous, and the benefits quite clear.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I'm keeping my iPad 1 after I buy iPad 2. iPad 1 is still a beast and still thinner and sexier than most of the comp. Imo it looks better and stronger than the 2. I'm using both for music.

I could care less about the cameras. Processor , RAM and Gyro is what I'm after.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Believe it or not, not everybody needs, wants, or can afford the latest technology.

So what you are saying is, for the sake of saving an extra £60, you decided to buy out-dated technology, and will almost certainly make a much bigger loss when you come to sell it relative to what you would lose on an iPad 2... Rather short-term thinking, no? The fact is, if you can afford £300+ for an iPad, you can afford £400+ or an iPad 2, but people get so caught up in tiny financial details...
No I'm saying for the sake of an extra £110 which is quite significant. What I said is 'if' they'd only knocked £50 off then I'd have waited for iPad 2 but they have actually knocked off over double that which makes a significant difference for me. I have never bought year old tech before and am the sort of person who buys the new iPhone on release each year but on this occasion this deal was too good to pass up on

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I get your point but I think theres a few reasons why people get caught up in the financial details:

1) Unlike cellphones or computers which are viewed as necessities then MOST users have no idea WHY they want a tablet so why invest so much money into something that, for many users, is considered a novelty?

2) I know a lot of 1st gen iPad users that invested into the 3G or 64GB model iPad and a few months later never filled more than 8GB of data or are still paying a 3G bill and the iPad sits on a desk.

3) The iPad is a toy for many people so just like with any game system then people buy the cheapest entry model just to be part of the club because its all they need.

4) Mentally this is a mind blowing situation because Apple products NEVER go on sale. So lots of people who had no intention of buying an iPad are probably jumping in just because of the discount. Its a big score for Apple

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
$349 for a like new refurb from Apple with brand new battery and full warranty...

Why would anyone looking for value buy anything else?

That's my thinking

I'm keeping my iPad 1 after I buy iPad 2. iPad 1 is still a beast and still thinner and sexier than most of the comp. Imo it looks better and stronger than the 2. I'm using both for music.

I could care less about the cameras. Processor , RAM and Gyro is what I'm after.
+100

I think its great that that iPad2 will be faster but realistically for what I use it for. I doubt I'll really notice the difference - I don't play a lot of games. I'll go out on a limb and say that most consumers don't care if the iPad 2 has a dual core processor.

Apple has gone out to avoid spec whoring and not focus on specs, that has worked admirably. Consumers are going to care about the experience as apple as focused on, and that experience has not changed between the two iPads.

I'm happy with my iPad 1 no regrets :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'll go out on a limb and say that most consumers don't care if the iPad 2 has a dual core processor.
I agree with that, while the majority of people posting here care about the specs that is just a small but vocal minority. For me at least I don't care about specs on mobile devices iPad 1 meets my needs and will be kept for a long time. I'll probably upgrade for version 4 or 5 unless mine dies before then.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I do not have a 1, was waiting to see what the 2 has. Now that we know, and the fact that the price on a refurb is so low for a 1, I will probably get one of those. Besides, in 12 months the 3 will be out, so a refurb 1 will be just fine till then. For a lot of people, cost is the driving factor, not how fast or how much it will do. And, as stated above, I want one more cause they are cool, other than the fact that I really have a need for one. Besides, in 10 years or so, I will be able to post up on the 'show your classic mac' thread that I have one...LOL

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010

There's a difference of £100 there Gryzor... That's simple maths!

ROLL EYES

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I agree with that, while the majority of people posting here care about the specs that is just a small but vocal minority. For me at least I don't care about specs on mobile devices iPad 1 meets my needs and will be kept for a long time. I'll probably upgrade for version 4 or 5 unless mine dies before then.

The iPad 1 more then meets my needs, and when the iPad 3 comes out, I'll evaluate whether the upgrade to the 3 is worthwhile. I'm very happy with the 1 and while folks who are getting the 2 will be extremely pleased. I'm content with my pokey old single core iPad 1 :p

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Price + difference in models.

If I didn't want some of the specific features on the ipad 2. I'd have gotten another 1 as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.