Wow posting on this mac forum with a dreamcast

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
886
0
Springfield Ohio
Wow id never thought that the dreamcast would post on this forum but now i know i can. my dsl when to crap i dunno what the problem is but till it gets fixed ill be on dialup speed on my dreamcast i dont have no dialup modem for my mac it sucks cause i was looking forward to some diablo 1 or 2 and ut but the lil dreamcast will work ive done it before i got a few online games to play with like 4x4 evo, quake 3 arena,f 355 chalenge, starlancer, maximum pool, and phantisy star online playing on the home brew servers. this is sweet but also sucks cause of the slow speed of dialup
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,981
364
madmax_2069 said:
Wow id never thought that the dreamcast would post on this forum but now i know i can. my dsl when to crap i dunno what the problem is but till it gets fixed ill be on dialup speed on my dreamcast i dont have no dialup modem for my mac it sucks cause i was looking forward to some diablo 1 or 2 and ut but the lil dreamcast will work ive done it before i got a few online games to play with like 4x4 evo, quake 3 arena,f 355 chalenge, starlancer, maximum pool, and phantisy star online playing on the home brew servers. this is sweet but also sucks cause of the slow speed of dialup
I'm sorry, what?
 

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
1,996
0
Er... yeah... you do that...

People have also posted from PSPs, and I *think* a DS (via Natrium42's serial connection/telnet program)
 

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
1,782
100
London, UK
carpe diem said:
I have knoe idea what you are talking about
He has an old Sega Dreamcast and has connected it to the internet using the inbuilt modem and is now using it to post on this forum.
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
Thats pretty cool i remember the days when i used to browse the net on my dreamcast, The memories :rolleyes:

Shadow
 

rjboger

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
26
0
madmax_2069 said:
Wow id never thought that the dreamcast would post on this forum but now i know i can. my dsl when to crap i dunno what the problem is but till it gets fixed ill be on dialup speed on my dreamcast i dont have no dialup modem for my mac it sucks cause i was looking forward to some diablo 1 or 2 and ut but the lil dreamcast will work ive done it before i got a few online games to play with like 4x4 evo, quake 3 arena,f 355 chalenge, starlancer, maximum pool, and phantisy star online playing on the home brew servers. this is sweet but also sucks cause of the slow speed of dialup

What ISP still supports the dreamCast?
 

7254278

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
2,365
0
NYC
Any ISP its just a normal 56k connection, I think dreamcast has some form of windows installed on it, 98 or NT I think.
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,553
2,886
hah nice one!

i bought a Dreamcast 2nd hand a couple of years ago. brilliant deal. DC and 60 odd games; 3 controllers and 1 arcade stick. then my mum rang me up one day, apparently they were selling official Dreamcast keyboards in PoundLand so she picked one up for me :D
will have the internet on that thing :)

it doesn't impress me muchly though, not on DC or PSP. they've got built in web browsers! its the machines like DS that sorta impresses. i they got it working on GBA i'd say WOW but would never use it myself. yea :)
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
31
I still remember my first MR PSP post...

But I'm sure the dreamcast is better because of a real keyboard, no?

The PSP is like a cell phone when it comes to typing. literally.
 

7254278

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
2,365
0
NYC
Is the internet on a psp free or do you have to connect to a wireless network you ahve access to?
 

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
4,714
0
Gah! Plymouth
Patmian212 said:
Is the internet on a psp free or do you have to connect to a wireless network you ahve access to?
well obviously you would have to connect to a wireless network, or how would the PSP go online. :confused:
 

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
886
0
Springfield Ohio
the only isp's that are dreamcast compatable are the ones thet use the ppp protocall. Ive even used netzero but you have to do wierd things with the user name and pass i guess its kinda like a code to get it to work and they like to kill your account cause it cant run the adbanner to make it free and only have 10 hour's to use it. but i have sbc dsl witch comes with free unlimited dialup accses.you cant use AOhell cause it dont use ppp. yea i have a kb and mouse and and a vga adapter so i can use the dc on a vga monitor and a custom browser called XDP you can download and burn to cdrfrom www.psilocybindreams.com . i also have planet web 2.0, 2.6, 3.0 . yea its a little slow cause its on dialup. there is like a tuneling thing you can do to let the dreamcast without a BBA connect to dsl . it uses the dsl that u accses with the nic card in the pc and puts signal to a dialup modem in the pc or mac to send the signal to the dialup modem on the dc but its capped 33k up and 33k down cause the upload on any dialup modem is capped at 33k. there is alot of info at www.onlineconsoles.com for dreamcast they scedule online games for the dc whats left of them any how there is still a few good games that are online for it. i got my dsl fixed now im on my macintosh sweet the speed of dsl and a mac
 

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
803
0
Well I'm glad you guys could translate what he said. Because I couldn't.

Heh, I had no idea you could browse via a console or portable.
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,553
2,886
I remember trying to go online with my Pocket PC. see i just missed the moment when they all went WiFi, so i had to go online with the dock instead. god that was a pain :D my handwriting changes so much the Pocket PC just didn't know what was happening.
 

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
3,974
0
St Augustine, FL
Patmian212 said:
Any ISP its just a normal 56k connection, I think dreamcast has some form of windows installed on it, 98 or NT I think.
The Dreamcast uses a form of Windows CE. I remember the Dreamcast, it was a really good system. I loved it to death but I ended up giving it to my friend who lived next door to me in the dorms at the end of my first year of college. He had gone through really tough times and he loved my Dreamcast so I couldn't let myself leave without giving it to him. I do miss it, though. I loved Sega systems.
 

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
895
0
Bay of Fundy
I think i posted on MR with my Dreamcast once, I love that thing, in fact it's still my primary console, though I use my PSP more. I have two keyboards for some reason too, which makes for silly type-offs and such, but overall I think the Dreamcast compares very well to the PS2 which I had for a while then got rid of because it wasn't much of a leap better than the Dreamcast except for the number of games available


A++++
for still suing your Dreamcast Senor! Never Let It Die!
 

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
2,284
0
Northants, UK
pgc6000 said:
Well I'm glad you guys could translate what he said. Because I couldn't.

Heh, I had no idea you could browse via a console or portable.
Classic Mac response.

:rolleyes:

And people wonder why Apple fans are considered blind and zealous.
 

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
522
0
SouthWest-USA
madmax_2069 said:
the only isp's that are dreamcast compatable are the ones thet use the ppp protocall. Ive even used netzero but you have to do wierd things with the user name and pass i guess its kinda like a code to get it to work and they like to kill your account cause it cant run the adbanner to make it free and only have 10 hour's to use it. but i have sbc dsl witch comes with free unlimited dialup accses.you cant use AOhell cause it dont use ppp. yea i have a kb and mouse and and a vga adapter so i can use the dc on a vga monitor and a custom browser called XDP you can download and burn to cdrfrom www.psilocybindreams.com . i also have planet web 2.0, 2.6, 3.0 . yea its a little slow cause its on dialup. there is like a tuneling thing you can do to let the dreamcast without a BBA connect to dsl . it uses the dsl that u accses with the nic card in the pc and puts signal to a dialup modem in the pc or mac to send the signal to the dialup modem on the dc but its capped 33k up and 33k down cause the upload on any dialup modem is capped at 33k. there is alot of info at www.onlineconsoles.com for dreamcast they scedule online games for the dc whats left of them any how there is still a few good games that are online for it. i got my dsl fixed now im on my macintosh sweet the speed of dsl and a mac
W H O A A ! :D :D :D

I must be getting old! :p
 

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
2,284
0
Northants, UK
combatcolin said:
Classic Mac response.

:rolleyes:

And people wonder why Apple fans are considered blind and zealous.
Because if your intrested in computers you should also be knowledgable about technology.

Computers, Consoles, Hi Fi, Cameras, Mobile Phones, Digital Television etc.

It like sport, you may be be a football fan but you will also know about Rugby, Tennis, Motor Sport etc.
 

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
981
0
Austin, TX
combatcolin said:
Because if your intrested in computers you should also be knowledgable about technology.

Computers, Consoles, Hi Fi, Cameras, Mobile Phones, Digital Television etc.

It like sport, you may be be a football fan but you will also know about Rugby, Tennis, Motor Sport etc.
Or you could say that anyone who assumes that any person who uses a computer *must* also know bunches about every other digital device ever made, who *must* read /. or even know what it is or have an innate understanding of every hack/mod available for every digital device ever made is blind or a zealot.