Wow...SSD was a pleasant surprise for the new MB. Who's getting it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eye.surgeon, Oct 14, 2008.

1. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Surprised and happy to have an SSD option for the MB. I don't think any of the rumors called that one. A loaded MB with SSD would be a sweet machine and I'm planning on ordering one tomorrow. Fits my needs because HD size is irrelevant for me in a notebook...my desktop takes care of the bulk storage requirements. The MBP is just way to heavy and big for my taste. Anyone else jumping on the SSD bandwagon?

Now if only the screen had a decent resolution...Sony has a 13 inch screen with 1600x900, come on apple!

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

That's been possible with a cheaper third party option for a while now.

3. eye.surgeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course it's been possible for a while...the point is apple is offering it now, out of the box and with a warranty.

4. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

You don't void the warranty by replacing a new macbook's hard drive with a SSD. That's the way to go. Buy the base macbook, upgrade the drive to SSD through newegg (cheaper) AND you get to use your old hd as an external!

5. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Anyone know the read/write speed of the standard HDD on the MacBook?

Just curious for comparison with the 128GB SSD's that Newegg offers. Newegg has some for $300!

6. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I would go the newegg route myself, but SSD is not worth the premium to me. Had it in the air and was difficult to justify.

7. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

8. Ochire macrumors member

Yeah it has 2.5

In the UK the upgrade is only £70 more than the only DIY alternative I could find (with a further education discount).. though obviously you don't have the spare stock hard drive lying around to sell if you want.

However, i can't see a decent SSD becoming widely available (ie Intel's) for at least a few months, and I want to use my laptop now.. and I don't want to go through all the hassle of changing my hard drive over in a couple months, only to change it again in a year (inevitable), and then have 2 spare hard drives lying around.. if you see what I mean.

Hence, I think it makes sense for most people to just go with Apple (assuming you hate DIY involving hard drives and files, get a discount and want to start using it now)

9. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Yea, I plan to wait until Intel releases the 160GB version and the price comes down to the $600 range (where the 80GB is currently priced). Until then, I'll enjoy the hard drive and the aluminum MacBook. Can't wait til it arrives!

10. subsonix macrumors 68040

Does anyone know what SSD it is that Apple uses in the new line of macbooks and pro´s? There is quite a difference in performance between the generic SSD´s that all use the same chips and the Mtron or the new Intel line of SSD´s that are the best ATM.

11. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i'm sure they use generic