Wow, the original iPad Pro 12.9” is incapable of functioning 3 apps at the same time

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by melancholy, Jun 26, 2017.

1. melancholy macrumors regular

melancholy

I don’t understand how the original iPad Pro 12.9” is incapable of having 2 apps in split view while having a third app hovering and still be able to function the two apps behind it.

The new iPad Pro’s are able to have all three apps functioning. If you Slide Over an app over 2 split view apps, it darkens everything behind it and you cannot multitask with apps behind it.

For “Pro” models, you’d at least expect Apple to make exclusive multitasking features every two iPads. Because the original iPad Pro still runs like a beast.

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

3. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Just tried the PB on my 1st-gen iPad Pro 12.9, and yup, I can't run 3 apps at the same time. When you have split-view and you open a 3rd app, the split view darkens and can't be used until you swipe away the 3rd app!! WTF!

I can edit 4K videos smoothly, yet I can't open 3 apps. I'm praying this is a bug, as there were videos of the 1st-gen Pro doing it in Beta 1. So what's the deal here?!?!

4. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

File a radar!

5. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Same with gen 2 12.9" on public beta, it's not just gen 1.

6. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Wow lmfao pretty serious bug

7. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Ok so it's a bug for sure.

8. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Bugs I see so far
    1. iPad Pro cannot open 3rd app in multitasking
    2. iPad wont charge
    3. Dock prevents setup completion

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Is 1 really a bug? Did Apple say this would be possible? Maybe it was a bug that it was possible in iOS 11 beta 1 and no other release.

10. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Must be a bug. I can run 3 apps on my 10.5” beta 2.

11. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Yah its def a bug, all devices with 4gb can do it

12. KeepCalm76 macrumors newbie

There’s still a remnant of the feature. Open an app in full screen, then a second in slide over, and then snap a third to the right or left side. All are interactive. If you swap slide over apps or adjust split screen from 80/20 to 50/50, though, it all grays out except the slide over app.

Hard to tell which is the bug. On the one hand. I ran 3 apps live all through beta 1 on my 1st gen 12.9" without a problem. On the other, it would be a very Apple move to kill this because it clutters the screen or whatever.

13. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

They could very well decide to kill it being that the newer 9.7 Pro was incapable of using it as well, they might simply lock it to the newer Pro's although that would be rather silly and frustrating given the money people invested in the original Pro, especially since we know it can run 3 apps without issue. If I placed a bet I would wager the feature will return in beta 3.

14. KeepCalm76 macrumors newbie

Given that folks with brand new 12.9’s are reporting the feature isn’t there for them, I’m going to hold out hope that this either is a bug, or a deliberate but temporary disabling of the feature for some reason. Guess we’ll have to wait a week or two to see.

15. keigo macrumors regular

I just tried on beta 2. I can open 3 apps in my original ipad pro 12.9"

16. KeepCalm76 macrumors newbie

Are they all live/interactive? I can open three as well, but I can only interact with the app open in slide over.

17. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I just tried with my 2nd gen 12.9” IPP and iOS11 beta 2. I had two apps open 50/50 and opened a third in slide over. I was able to interact with all three with no problems.

18. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Well at this point it's definitely a bug some are having and some are not. I'm assuming in Beta 3 we will see a fix implemented.

19. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

I believe it worked in the original DP2, I’m sure I used it yesterday, installed the extra update to DP2 this morning and now I can’t do it.

First gen 12.9 here

20. aevan, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Edit: I just realised I misunderstood the issue a bit, so I wrote something that doesn't make sense. Ignore this reply, please. :)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 27, 2017 ---
    Can you try at 70/30 and see if it works? That's what I tried and I wasn't able to put the floating app on the other side, only "above" the 30% app. BUT - perhaps I just dragged something wrong. I'm back on 10.3.2 so I don't know if it was an user error on my part.

21. fyun89 macrumors 6502

I strongly believe that iPad 12.9 gen 1 has the capability to run more app..

Its as fast as some older macbook pros... Definitely technically possible. (you can have a video running as pic-in-pic mode as a third item while split screening.. if you can do that why not a third window?)

Main problem is that Apple doesnt want to shell out all the features for marketing purposes for next gen products.. Plus they havent found an elegent way of doing this too.

22. melancholy thread starter macrumors regular

melancholy

They showed it being possible in one of the WWDC sessions I was watching. So it was not a bug and having 3 apps + PiP is a feature now.

I hope so, disabling it means they intend it to be an exclusive feature for the newer models. Which is BS

Jelly......

I had this problem before the beta 2 update, apparently this feature was working in beta 1 tho

Indeed, the original iPad Pro are capable of multitasking more than two apps. If Apple is intentionally making this exclusive for the new iPad Pro I’ll be quite upset. For a Pro model, you’d at least expect it to last more than a year before an exclusive software feature comes.

23. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Tell that to the 9.7 inch Pro users

24. KeepCalm76 macrumors newbie

If the feature isn’t available to 9.7” users because of insufficient RAM, that sucks, but it’s understandable. If it is taken away because of an arbitrary decision to withhold it from a device that *can* run the feature (which the 12.9 can—I used it for a week), that grates.

25. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I agree that 12.9 1st gen better get it I'm praying for you guys :)