Wow, they had a TON of 8gb iPhones at my local AT&T store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexii, Jul 11, 2008.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

Strange product distribution;

300+ 8gb iPhones
    20 16gb Black iPhones
    20 16gb White iPhones

Kinda surprised considering most people I talked to in line wanted a 16gb.

Sarasota, FL

2. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

That's idiotic. The phone is cheaper for new and upgrade eligible people...so people will take advantage of that and go for the larger of the two. Plus some people will go 16GB just because of the white ones.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Factories have been making 8 GB chips longer than they've been making 16 GB chips. Obviously, there's going to be more of them out there.

I'm sure that Apple bought as many 16 GB chips as they could get their hands on. So what do you want them to do? Start throwing out 8 GB chips just so the numbers match? How does that help anyone?

5. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

The $199.00 price point is the main marketing strategy for the 3G iphone. It actually makes sense from a global view of the customer base. I would think Macrumors readers only make up about 2% of the iphone customer base so even though you and I feel like the 16GB is the way to go, most people will go will the price point.

6. sjo macrumors 6502a

the att pricing has nothing to do with the global view. from a global view there is no $199 price point:
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/07/iphone-3g-prices-and-plans-for-21-countries

the phone is at or under $199 only in a handful of countries. add to that the insane pricing of plans and you are almost as far from a global mobile phone customer base as you can get :)

btw, apple seems to have miscalculated the demand patterns since 16gb iphones seem to be in short supply almost everywhere.

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I didnt mention anything about the AT&T pricing in my post and neither did the OP. My statement was from a base of people in the market to buy the 3G iphone(not some other phone), the $199 price point made the most sense to Apple. Its cheaper and they planned on most people not needing 16GB. Apparently they didn't do enough market research on the demand or they wouldn't have 300 8GB at one store.