Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Freedom of mobility
More and more people are going mobile. They enjoy the freedom and productivity of wire-free connectivity -- being able to work whenever and wherever they want, untethered by wires and cables. However, mobility has been hindered by the “Last Wire™“ problem -- the need to regularly charge a mobile-computing device by plugging into an electric power source.

MobileWise provides a safe, wire-free electric power technology that solves this Last Wire problem. MobileWise revolutionary patented technology and its associated family of products finally deliver the freedom to be fully mobile. No more wires, no more cords, no more plugs!

Now this is something worth looking into.

click

Attachments

• gfx_maingraphic_2.jpg
    gfx_maingraphic_2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 401

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
That's pretty damn cool. But it doesn't eliminate the "Last Wire™" problem, it only puts it off, if you know what I mean. What's the pad plugged into? An outlet. Is it really that big of a deal to plug your computer into an outlet? And what happens if your destination doesn't have one of these doo-hickeys? You plug it in.

It's cool and convenient, but I don't see it becoming standard. Longer lasting batteries first, please. :)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
This looks great, I just can't wait until they get rid of the need for a mat. Maybe some of the places that get a lot of people coming there to use their computers will start installing the bases once this catches on. Way to go MobilityWise! Apple, you need to talk to these people!!

JW

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Bradcoe
One more device to give us a huge monster of a tumor. Sweet.

Originally posted by Eple
Sounds like something that can give you cancer after sometime of use

Why would you say this? What in the world would you base it on? There's not a huge amount of detail on the site about how the technology works. All you know is that it's electrical. Do you assume you're giving yourself a tumor every time you buy a toaster or a hair dryer or a waffle iron? It's media-induced paranoia like this that has caused many an excellent innovation to vanish for no valid reason except that somebody started a paranoid rumor with no basis in fact.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I agree with you, Gelfin. Some people daydream too much about sitting on top of the microwave. :rolleyes:

This is a great step closer to that [other] American Dream of wireless technology. We made superconducters suspend metal in mid air in 1987, +/-, so we will soon be able to have a completely wireless system.

Imagine a PowerBook GHz with bluetooth and a pad. That would be amazing. :cool:

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
I think this is not completely "wireless", well technically it is wireless but laptop has to touch that pad which brings power. Nothing spectacular I still prefer wires.

Lz0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
Originally posted by Megaquad
I think this is not completely "wireless", well technically it is wireless but laptop has to touch that pad which brings power. Nothing spectacular I still prefer wires.

Yer, and I have a toothbrush that does the same thing.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by Megaquad

Well it could make bluetooth mice workable (more workable).

Imagine a small pad (don't like the mongo desktop one - this would be really small no bigger than the mouse itself) with a wire running to the computer for power. Use a wireless bluetooth all you like (with it's onboard battery) and then when you aren't using it just place it on the re-charge pad.

No more messy battery changes as you have now with standard wireless mice. As many have pointed out most wireless mice today don't eat batterys to begin with so this would be great... Trickle charge the mouse and it'll never run out of power.

Oh and yea my SonicCare toothbrush works kinda the same way (but it isn't a pad)... The toothbrush is all plastic with no contacts that I've been able to find and yet when you drop it into the plastic charging base it gets a charge thru the plastic. That base doesn't seem to have any exposed contacts either. Pretty cool stuff

Dave

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
My razor works in a similar way to the toothbrush. you just drop the razor into the charger base and it starts charging, no connections really and its not even a snug fit, but this and the toothbrush are way different than this mobilewise thing.

Attachments

• razor.jpg
    razor.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 156

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
old technology

This isn't rocket science, and yes, I'm sure it does produce an electromagnetic field as soon as you place anything on it that has metal in it. (If it didn't, there would be no way for it to power a device.)

These electric shaver, toothbrushes, this mat, etc. all work off of the same principle.

Basically, if you apply a voltage through a wire and then place another wire right next to it at a 90 degree angle, a current will be "induced" in the other wire. This is known as induction and it's the same principle that every transformer in the world is based on.

The only way to induce significant current is to use lots of wires in a tightly-packed array, or a coil as is used in transformers.

If properly designed, there shouldn't be any electromagnetic field generated until a metal device (or your PDA, mouse, whatever) is placed on top of it. Even then, we're talking about very low voltages, so it probably wouldn't be much of a problem.

The interesting part is, unless they've come up with some funky wire layout, you're going to have to place your device on it at a 90 degree angle for optimum charging ability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.