wow...this is just sickening

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Keebler, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

I realize that police officers don't have it easy and people getting out of their vehicles and talking back can be a life threatening situation so I'm not slamming them, but this cop should have used better judgement.

I've had the honour of saying goodbye to 2 dying relatives - my Dad and my Grandfather. While it hurts like nothing else, it's also the most rewarding experience. When someone is gone, they are gone. There are no second chances for goodbyes so you are able to say everything you want to say to that person and the emotions are perfectly raw and beautiful. It also provides closure.

Instead, this family has endured an incident which will marr an already devastating situation for the family.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4017382

2. JLatte macrumors 6502

I saw this yesterday and was deeply disturbed by that officer's actions. At least the wife got to say goodbye to her mom. Still, that was terrible that by the time he got inside she was gone.

3. suburbia macrumors 6502

The officer's attitude is horrible. There are no excuses.

I can completely understand his cynicism upon first impression of Moat's reason for speeding, but he continued with his vile attitude after a nurse, and another officer came to validate Moat's action.

Just another jerk in an uniform, unfortunately.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Racial profiling at it's worst. I can bet you if this was a white couple, this would not have happened.

5. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

It's sad because of people's overwhelming biases, both conscious and unconscious. It seems pretty clear he was acting on preconceived notions or stereotypes because the article states that Moats and his family clearly stated the situation and acted calm.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The officer could have simply been an a(#&@)*. I've been jerked around before by police and I am clean cut, well dressed and a white guy. So not all police simply go by racial profiling. Some are just plain d*#(@.

I've personally known the type. They are the power hungry type of officer whom just goes by the belief of "the law is the law no exceptions".

Yes racial profiling does happen often. But there is no need to assume profiling when the officer may simply be a jerk in need of a nightstick wacked upside his head several dozen times.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Between this and the cop who stopped a guy taking his dying mother to the hospital (only to hold him and let her die in the car), if someone turns on his lights while I'm en route to the hospital, he can follow me all the way there and watch me go into the hospital. I'll take the chance with a ticket or even getting arrested. The alternative isn't worth it.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

True enough. But I'd be willing to bet profiling was involved.

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

My sense from watching the video is that this was indeed a case where preconceived notions about race played a significant role. I know this is not fair to say, but I'm not sure if people who haven't been discriminated against really have this sense. Knowing when discrimination is occurring is not always something tangible like the use of racial slurs. That said, it is just a video.

10. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Profiling of what?

Racial profling would be applicable if the cop had pulled them over for no reason other than because he was black, then continued to delay them on the grounds that the driver *might* have been either in the process, or intending to commit a crime.

Since the driver had already commited the crime (running the red light), the cop was just being a dick. It's obvious that he wasn't just doubting the story, because nurses confirmed the situation.

If you want to bring race into it by suggesting that the cop would have let a white person go, it would be discrimination, not profiling.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I live in the Dallas area and this is all over the radio and TV here. I don't know how true it is, but several callers into the morning radio show have said they know the guy either personally or by reputation, and that he's a genuine ****** (in radiospeak). He may well have done this to anyone, not just a black family - but who knows?

This is a really embarrassing story. I listened to the police chief's statement to the press, which I found absolutely heartfelt and appropriate, but hopefully the powers that be see just how reprehensible this guy's behavior was and do the right thing.

I've always defended how police should be treated differently from "civilians," in particular how whenever one is killed in the line of duty, every cop within a day's drive is on the killer's case until he's caught, then all those cops go to the funeral with a procession a few miles long. But at the same time, I hold these men and women to a higher standard of behavior, compassion, and sensibility. This guy let us down on all three.

Fine, you're just doing your job, write the guy a ticket - but let him go to his M-I-L first.

12. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

When I say unconscious bias, I'm talking not about the fact that they were pulled over, as the officer had obvious cause (the running of the red light). I'm referring to the drawing of his weapon, his general attitude and speech, and his refusal to listen to reason. These are implicit biases that people may not even be aware of. If you are interested go to the link below:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

then Click "Go to Demonstration Tests", then "I wish to proceed", then you can choose to take the "Race IAT".

This measures implicit bias, not conscious bigotry. You can take the test and find your bias on a sliding scale. Just answer a few questions then take the test. It's only a couple of minutes if I remember correctly. They explain exactly what the test measures at the end if I'm not mistaken - I'd talk more in depth about it now, but if I did so then I would significantly compromise your results. After taking it if your interested in further explanation just post on here and I'll answer. But this is the type of bias I'm talking about.

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That was an interesting test. Here was my result:

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.

14. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think what may have happened was that given that the SUV ran the red light very early in the morning, it's not surprising that the cop was a bit more suspicious than normal. Given that a lot of crime do happen in the middle of the night, the officer may have gone by instinct--especially given that the police office is quite young. I was listening to ESPN Radio's The Herd with Colin Cowherd (March 27, 2009 show downloaded through ESPN Radio Insider web page) and even Cowherd noted that if the officer stopping the driver was much older, this unfortunate event would likely never have happened.

15. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

16. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Moats and I went to college together.

Not that we knew each other on the campus, but yeah...