Woz On The iPhone 5: Apple Has Become Arrogant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MJD Dawg, Oct 11, 2012.

1. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think not having different sizes is arrogance. The rest, I'm on a fence.

3. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

This is the reason why Woz was not a CEO but a nerd in a back room. His business mind fails.

4. darster Suspended

When you sell 5 million + in less than a week, it's not arrogance. It's selling the people what they want. And they have different sizes. You want a smaller phone, you can buy a 3GS, 4 or 4S. You want 8 GB, 16, 32 or 64? Apple has that too. You want a glass back or metal back? Apple has that too. Seems as if Apple has a variety available to buy.

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

But Apple currently does offers multiple iPhone sizes, the iPhone 4/4S with a 3.5" screen and the iPhone 5 with a 4" screen. They also come with different storage capacity and each in two different colours.

I get that Woz was an important part for Apple and that he played a key role in the beginning, but why do so many people quote him passing judgement on Apple as if he were some kind of authority on anything? He is not and for all his talk and after all these years, he doesn't seems to get Apple at all.

Apple has never been about giving a bunch of choices to users, really, be it on their laptops or desktops Macs have always been criticised for their lack of customisation options, same goes for the iPhone. So Woz's claim that:

"Not all people want the same thing. A lot of people really like big screens."

Completely misses the point, as Apple's goal has never been to please all people by providing a bunch of different options on their products (like plenty Android OEMs attempt to do).

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I like Woz, he's a good guy.

But if it was up to Woz to run the business... well, we all know who was the business wiz in that pairing.

"Nobody having trouble working the big phones..." That's because Woz, u got big hands!

The way I see it is, as long as people want to buy what Apple makes... so it's not trying to please everybody... it's OK.

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

I 100% agree with Woz. Knew there was a reason why I liked him so much. Sadly Apple is headed in the wrong direction. They should have made a wider iPhone 5. What is wrong with 4.3"??? Anyway, he is free to speak his mind. I do wish he could go back to Apple and bring in some new ideas.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Your lack of knowledge regarding Steve Wozniak's business expertise is showing. Such a weak attempt to slander a very smart man.

Perhaps it's jealousy over the swell life he's currently enjoying.

Hopefully your misinformed pot shot has made you feel better :)

9. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

KieranDotW

"Wozniak would never approve!"

Hmm... I'm thinking of starting a new trend...

10. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I rarely hear much from Wozniak unless it's him talking about Apple. It seems to be his way of keeping relevant. He bores me.

11. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

They probably could have either kept the screen at 3.5" or made it 4.5" and still gotten the same sales figures.

12. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

though woz hasn't worked at apple in probably 20 years, it's interesting when he says "we" when talking about good apple press and "they" when anything negative about apple is mentioned.

13. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The Woz has been more vocal too since he got his Android phone.

14. Holoshed macrumors regular

The thing people forget is you need a team to make something work right. Apple has that team and well... Woz, as much as I think he is awesome as a geek like I am, he fails to see the big picture in terms of how to run a business as a business.

It is well known that Woz wanted things in the beginning to be free and open source but Jobs took the ideas that he knew were one of a kind and unique and made a business that was awesome out of it.

Woz thinks out of the box in terms of his geeking out, his creations and his passion for all things electronic but he failed when it came to making it work for the "common person."

As much as some would hate to admit it, Apple was never built to be an exclusive club where only the elite geeks got in. It was built to market the products and make money marketing them. The end goal was to make software that someones mother and father would feel comfortable using. Why do so many Apple users take offense to Apple doing what a business does and opening up a new market. I know this is a side subject but its one I see come up more lately.

The common non geek likes one size fits all in terms of phones and from my findings and studies proving this, those folks do not care about open source or anything more than I can hit a button and I get to a screen to pick apps. They understand the basics for using it and it is why they use it.

Woz is a geek who likes complicated, likes tweaks and is disconnected from the "average user."

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

So apples targeting girls and guys with small hands?

16. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica

I couldn't sum it up better myself

17. irDigital0l Guest

18. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I am not sure about Apple being arrogant. I just think they do like RIM was doing. Which was a model of not really changing much from year to year. It worked for RIM with their blackberries for a really long time. Eventually it catches up to you. At some pt. you have to stop assuming you know what is best for the customer. And give them more choices, plus you have to take more chances and start innovating. Not just copy something someone is doing, and make it better more polished. I just think if Apple doesn't start coming out with some original ideas, long term wise. They will be in trouble. Sure right now they are selling a ton of phones. But eventually the will go the way of RIM and other companies that refused to change.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I noticed that.
    So what is he again with Apple?
    Is he even affiliated or part of the company any more?
    Woz has an opinion just like anyone else though. Why judge him? But like others said Steve was the brain behind the business part of Apple.

20. newone757 macrumors 6502

What a hypocrite

"...Not all people want the same thing. A lot of people really like big screens."

and a lot of people dont Woz. Theres are umteen million big ass phones out there and he wants Apple to conform and offer the same size? What kind of sense does that make? All these people bitching about choice all the time often want you to make the same one as them. Ironic

21. TennisandMusic

Did you even read the stories out there? He said he wanted a larger size in addition.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Woz-...ve-made-a-large-version-of-the-iPhone_id35430

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This thread is a prime example of why Apple is arrogant as Woz says. The comparison someone to made to RIM was dead on.

23. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Once The Woz criticises Apple, then some anti-Apple blogs will surely put it in the headline and he gets applaud from the Fandroids in the comments.

Kind of pride if it happens to me. I understand that.

Apple was "arrogant" enough to release a phone that looks the same as the iPhone 4 last year.

And this year is changed the design due to larger screen being popular now and they try to balance the usability with keeping the same width.

Then it's MORE arrogant? I can't understand.

24. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

For those so inclined, there are many other cell phones to choose from. No need to harp on the Apple product. Be happy with all of the available options.

25. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

"I love to have an Apple phone if it has a 6.957" big ass screen and I need to hold it with 3 hands. "

Come on. They don't really want an iPhone. Just go to Samsung. ;)