Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I have two Macs (and a PC, but that's connected via ethernet, so it's omit - thank god), an iMac G4 800 and a Mac mini. The Mac mini has an AirPort Extreme card, running Tiger. The iMac has a non-Extreme AirPort card, running Panther. I have an AirPort Extreme basestation, and I decided to set it up with WPA2 thanks to the latest update. It works perfectly on the Mac mini, but when I tried to enter the network with the iMac, I get an dialog saying something like "encription not supported by network xxx" with a "Try again" and "Ok". Can anyone help?

Edited to add: yes, I do have the Panther machine AirPort software updated to 4.2. WPA2 Personal and WPA2 Enterprise does show up in the "Other..." dialog Encryption menu.

2nd edit: I did some searching, and turns out older, non-Extreme AirPort cards doesn't support WPA2. But it says to set my AirPort to be WPA and WPA2. It's already set as that, and when I tried WPA Personal (not WPA2 Personal), it gives me the same error - encryption not supported on the network. What gives???

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Eh whatever, I set it to "WPA Only" and it works now. Wonder why it doesn't work under "WPA and WPA2".

Oh well, from what I hear WPA is sufficient for home use anyway.

Jeremy!

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
The imac can't use an airport extreme, only a regular Airport Express card. Which limits you to the kind of encryption. The regular airport card wont handle WPA2 - so not an option....

You can use WEP, for both (which is what I have) WEP has been 'cracked' apparently, however for a home network away from say a high population zone (apartment building/ University dorm etc) it should be fine. Make sure you use the right length of password (5 ascii characters, or 10 hex characters) and you should be good to go. I am running an imac with regular airport card, an 'airport express' base station hooked up to a USB printer & stereo output, top of the line Intel mac pro with airport express card, and an HP wireless all-in-one network printer. It all works 100%. I could not get it to work with wep2, or any of the other higher security options.

Good luck!
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.