Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

When viewing a light colored image, I can visibly see writing, or more of a scribble, near the bottom left area (when holding the iPad in portrait with the home button on the bottom). I suggest you double check your new
iPad with a blank white image and the brightness turned up to max.

I attempted to take a picture but couldn't get it to show with my iPhone camera. If I am successful with my Sony point and shoot camera, I will upload to this thread.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
Not sure but it clearly looks like a persons handwriting under the glass. I've got a genius bar appointment today; hopefully I can get it replaced today

Mshilling

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
how much time do you people spend with these things on full brightness, plain white screens? It seems to me like people are -looking- for defects, just to have something to complain about. :confused::confused::confused:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
how much time do you people spend with these things on full brightness, plain white screens? It seems to me like people are -looking- for defects, just to have something to complain about. :confused::confused::confused:

They are and it winds me up. Some people can't afford iPads, yet so many people on this site whinge about the smallest things. It's stupid.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
If I paid $829 plus tax for a device I use on a daily basis it better be defect free.
Not sure about how you feel about this but I'm not cool with throwing that kind of money into something that isn't perfect.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
You could try just ignoring it.. it's not really noticeable unless you're actively searching for it.
I think, if it's there (and I'm not saying it's not, just that I can't see it), that it's one of those things that's really insignificant but once you know it's there, you can't let it go.

I've had this happen to me with little hairline scratches on screens. I never notice them unconsciously, but I always wind up eyeballing them on purpose. The knowledge of their existance erks you. I get where jvdrummer182 is coming from.

pettifogger06

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
I have really good vision, can see magic eyes, but see nothing in those pictures. Oh well, maybe they'll accommodate you anyhow.

cdebnil

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Funny, I didn't see what you were talking about at all on my crappy Dell LCD from 2004...Once I opened the picture on my new Ipad, I was able to see what you're referring to. I guess contrast ratio is much better on the Ipad vs my desktop LCD. I would return it if I was you. It'll be annoying knowing its there.

jvdrummer182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
USA
Damn, shoot me for trying to help people out. I simply posted this thread to help other iPad owners and see if it was an issue that others had

pettifogger06

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
Funny, I didn't see what you were talking about at all on my crappy Dell LCD from 2004...Once I opened the picture on my new Ipad, I was able to see what you're referring to. I guess contrast ratio is much better on the Ipad vs my desktop LCD. I would return it if I was you. It'll be annoying knowing its there.

True, perhaps I could see it with a better display.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Damn, shoot me for trying to help people out. I simply posted this thread to help other iPad owners and see if it was an issue that others had
Well now you know better. Hope you've learned your lesson. Can't just come around here with helpful questions and inquiries. :rolleyes:

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
Not saying the OP's iPad did or didn't have an issue - it very well may have. But based on the evidence posted he really didn't make a case that he does.

I actually tend to believe this one unlike the myriad of other 'problems' that I believe are 99% 'perceived' rather than actual defects. After fiddling with the contrast, I did see the areas he referred to. Sounds like his gorilla glass could have some imperfections, which with the increased resolution of the panel would now be more visible.

fodawim

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
took the image into photoshop and played with the contrast/levels you can definitely see something is there.

Untitled-10.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.