Wrong Man's House Demolished By City Of Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Don't panic, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

can you imagine that? :eek::eek:
    hopefully he will be quickly and generously compensated.

2. Lord Blackadder, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What a nightmare that would be. Imagine losing irreplaceable posessions - photos, family memorobilia etc etc. Or finding out that your insurance isn't going to help you out as much as you thought. I truly pity that man. That's a pretty bad mistake to make on the part of the demolition people at any rate. What the hell were they doing?

Not to belittle the man, but his quote in the OP is already a candidate for "Unecessarily Descriptive Understatement of the Year 2011".

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Now the question is: who will pay for the big 'Oops'?

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

OMG...how!?!? Wouldnt they realize the house is furnished? I hope he has a large gun vault where he keeps his most prized possessions

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The taxpayers, of course.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

His name is DON'T PANIC.
    LOL :D

"contractor at fault"

Likely insurance of the contractor.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

based on what the video showed it will be the contractor who is going to be paying for and that contractor is going to be paying a huge chunk of changed. First the value of the house, plus cost of any work put into it, along with estimated value of items in the house lost at replacement value (aka new) along with pain and suffer and I am going to guess more money to because for housing for a few months.

Based on what I can see contractor was notified not to demo the house.
    I would not be surprised if this bankrupts the contractor.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Chapter 11 to the rescue? Gotta love the U. S. of A. ;)

There is such a thing as a Performance Bond. Someone should read-up on that.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

more like chapter 7.
    Problem is I do not see the bonds paying up on this. They might pay the guy but then turn around and sue the contractor in to chapter 7.

Bonds rarely if ever cover gross negligents on the part of the contractor and this is where this falls.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

True, but anything the city has to do to get things resolved ultimately costs the taxpayers money.

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

So obviously they shouldn't give him a dime, because you have to pay for the mistakes made by the people you voted for. I get it.

Ah I love right-wing thinking. :rolleyes:

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm certainly not aginst compensating the man, just pointing out that when the city screws up, everyone pays.

Back in my hometown, the mayor once misappropriated money for road upkeep in order to build a baseball stadium. The subsequent financial crisis resulted in a loss of a number of municipal services as spending was cut to make up the shortfall - in addition to the taxes going up. The mayor narrowly avoided jail.

13. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

14. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

And the Steelers suck. Just needed to add that.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yeah good thing he wasnt living in it so he didnt have much in it. Just some tools that he asked the contractor about and they said they didnt see any tools...but they had his lumber on there truck. Seen it at 6am today :)

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

A few notes:

1. He was in the process of remodeling it, and had not yet moved in. Thankfully, no personal-type possessions were in, just the tools he was using remodeling it.

2. The city had gotten an order to demolish it; he fought it and won. He had a court order instructing the city to NOT demolish it; and a copy of a letter the city subsequently send to the contractor telling the contractor DO NOT DEMOLISH (yes - in bold underlined caps, even.)

3. The city DID have an order to demolish the house next door. It is not yet clear if the order that the city sent to the contractor was wrong, or if the contractor goofed up and tore down the wrong house.

So, in the end, it all depends on whether the city's order to the contractor is wrong; or the contractor read it wrong.

If the city had the order written wrong, then in the end, the taxpayers will foot the bill. (Which, because it was a government entity, is proper.)

If the contractor read it wrong, then their insurance will pay for it. If they are a reasonably big contractor, they will be able to absorb the hit rather easily.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That goes without saying.

Thanks for the info. Obviously there's a history there, and it makes the situation a bit less bizarre. But still a pretty big screw-up.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm the contractor tore down both houses. Not just the one they are supposed to.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's a pretty huge mistake...basic addition eh?

20. Psychic Shopper macrumors member

Condemed

Your house is condemmed by the city, that means its an eyesore, its dangerous, it's unsafe for the neighbors. If you want to save that house you've got to move quick, not go on vacation. If Pittsburg is like Cleveland then there are thousands of houses like that. The guy bought that house for a few thousand dollars, was going to fix it up, so he says but didn't . He wasn't even living in that house, it was an "investment property". I have no pity for him

21. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Stories like that are so ridiculous that they can only happen in the United States... Or isn't it strange that you almost never hear something like that from other parts of the world?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Anyone got a street address, so we can all get a look at this "property", via Google Street View??

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

According to an article I found, this is it.

Not the nicest house, but given its surroundings, not an eyesore. The articles I've read said he was in the process of making repairs, he had already replaced the windows and drywall and was returning to the house to do more work.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

He fought the condemnation and won. He had a letter from the city stating "Do Not Demolish."

He had done work on the house. New windows, doors, etc.

How do you know what he paid? And better yet, what does it matter? He has spent that money and now has nothing to show for it.

True, he was living in an apartment. But again, even if it was an investment property does it matter? Or should he just have to suck it up cause it is an investment property?

Hopefully, you'll never lose anything or money due to someone else's negligence. But if you do, I kinda hope you get screwed like this guy is.

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=13798513

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That picture raised more questions, if accurate.

Which next door house was the actual target, and why??

Unless they are unsound for some reason, neither of them look to be that bad. :confused: