WTB a 3G iPhone, but have some questions first re: locked/unlocked/jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPhoneInAR, Jul 25, 2010.

1. iPhoneInAR macrumors newbie

I hope this is the correct forum, if not, please LMK...

Here's my situation:
    I was wanting to buy the white iP4, but now that the official word is it will be released sometime later this year, I think I would rather wait until June/July '11 when the next one is released.

I am a current AT&T customer with an original iPhone since day one. I was trying to do research on how to go about purchasing a new iPhone without AT&T knowing about it and without me having to renew my contract. I want to stay with AT&T, but I want to be eligible to get the '11 model iPhone (regardless of the Verizon rumors) without any hassle.

Am I understanding things correctly that I don't need to buy a jailbroken/unlocked 3G iPhone since I already have a 1st gen iPhone (and AT&T customer) as I can simply take the SIM card from my original iPhone and put it in the 3G iPhone, correct?

Also, am I wrong in that I should not update the software that comes installed on it? I do not want AT&T to know I have switched phones for fear of them renewing my contract right now.
    I am; however, safe to sync with iTunes as long as I do not upgrade the software, right?

Here is what I am under the impression I can do:
    1. Purchase a 3G iPhone (because it is less $ than a 3Gs) from somewhere.
    2. Since I am currently with AT&T, I take the AT&T SIM card from my original iPhone and put it in the 3G iPhone.
    3. Sync with iTunes, but do not upgrade the software.
    4. Enjoy my "new" 3G iPhone and AT&T will never know I have it as long as I do not update the software and I do not have to worry about my contract being renewed without my knowledge.

I apologize for being so OCD about this, but it is new to me and I am just wanting to make sure I have my bases covered. If there is anything I have overlooked, please do not hesitate to educate me and correct me.

Thank you for your time in advance.

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can take the sim out of the original iPhone and place it in the 3G and use the 3G just as you would the original.

There is a strong chance that AT&T will upgrade your data plan from the $20 unlimited +200 SMS to the $30 data plan with the $5 200 SMS plan or whatever data plan you have on the original. Your bill will go up.

3. iPhoneInAR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, SpaceKitty. I wondered about that, but I am thinking since my AT&T SIM card isn't a 3G card it may not matter. At this point I do not care whether or not I will have 3G access. I am just wanting to upgrade to a newer model iPhone as inexpensive as possible without any issues from AT&T, hence why I am guessing as long as I do not upgrade the software, they may not be any the wiser what phone I am using.
    I have found a 3G with the latest 4.01 software, and as I understand it, this has fixed a lot of the major issues the original iOS4 caused with the 3G models, therefore I won't need to update the software, correct?

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

All sim cards are the same. There is only a 3G logo on the sim to advertise that AT&T has 3G service. It doesn't have anything to do with what service you will get on which iPhone.

AT&T will always know what phone you are using the second the phone shows that it has service. The IMEI is instantly transmitted to AT&T and that identifies the phone to the network.

5. iPhoneInAR thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Thank you for explaining that. I can live with a $10 jump in my bill. Do you think it will affect my contract?

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Your contract upgrade date will not change simply by switching iPhones.

7. iPhoneInAR thread starter macrumors newbie

You rock, SpaceKitty! Thank you so much for your patience and help. I sincerely appreciate it :) Have a great day knowing you put my mind at ease.

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

9. fastblack macrumors regular

The 3g is a slow pos. Just like the 2g. I would would get a 3gs atleast if I where you. You may have faster then edge service, but webpages take so long to render it doesnt really matter.

10. iPhoneInAR thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm used to the 2G, so it's fine with me, but I know what you mean. I'm not on the Internet enough on my phone as it is for it to be a concern of mine. I'm just looking for the least expensive solution to tide me over til next year's iPhone.