WTF! apple didnt wipe my first iPad, I see it at iPad facility using iCloud.com

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hasanahmad, Apr 8, 2012.

1. hasanahmad, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

thats what I am going to do right now

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

How long have they had it? Maybe they haven't gotten around to wiping it yet.

5. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

March 10th

6. Angler macrumors regular

7. kiantech macrumors regular

send a message pretending to be from steve jobs

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This. If you mailed it to them, you should have wiped it before putting it in the box. If they took it at the store, they should have wiped it in front of you - before taking it to the back.

9. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

They asked me to hit restore while I was there.

10. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

Haha
    that's what I would have done

11. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

it was in the store, the CS person took my iPad to the back and got the new one for me. I had replaced a product before and they told me they remote wipe at the back if not in front of me, Apparently this guy didnt

12. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Shame on that apple geek. Lol. They erased it in front of me.

13. hchavarria macrumors 6502

If you had security concerns you should have ensured it was wiped prior, this shouldn't be Apple's responsibility.

14. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

If in doubt there are any security issues it is Apple's fault. Whenever you replace/return a product in-store, the only person allowed to erase content or restore settings to that particular product is the owner. The employee is obliged to hand over the device to you to hit the 'erase' or 'reset' button in front of you so you agree the product can be erased and reset. The Apple employee has no right on taking the product to the back and reset the product themselves without the owner's consent.

However i do agree with you If the person had mailed the item to the warehouse they should have reset/erased prior to sending.

I am just stating a fact that you are very vague in saying that this isn't Apple's responsibility. In addition, they have no right to say they will remote wipe at the back of the store (needs to be done in presence of owner), it is not legal policy and they can be sued for that, unless, as I said, if it was mailed to warehouse, then it is owner's fault.

15. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I'd be pissed if that happened, especially if he told you he would wipe it. Having said that, it could have been an honest mistake like he got busy and forgot. I guess if I ever need to exchange anything I'll make sure I wipe it myself ahead of time - probably safer.

16. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Typically what I do whenever I will take a product in for a "genius" visit is that I perform a backup at home and reset prior to arriving at the store. IF my visit did not warrant a replacement unit then I simply restore again. Now with iCloud this makes backup and restore process much quicker. I prefer not to have them snoop around my phone with my data intact.

17. wharzhee macrumors 6502

18. 7even macrumors 6502a

Guess you didn't have anything private on it :p I would never hand my iPad back to Apple without manually wiping it.

19. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Good point. If it was on (unlikely), then how is it connected to the Internet? Wifi? No, It would need a person to connect it. 3G? No, you probably would have removed a SIM card if AT&T, or made sure it was deactivate prior to handing it over.

20. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

That or they turned it on to do testing at the facility

21. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm pretty sure they just took the box as is like they did with mine. They didn't bother to turn it off, but I made sure to wipe it before I gave it to them. Since I got the impression that it will go in the box, on, and still with my data since they can't wipe it due to my passcode. Looks like this is what happened here, it's probably just sitting in the box there still since you can still see it. They would've wiped it immediately if they were working on it.

22. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Isn't it that they have wiped the iPad, but FindMyiDevice shows the whereabouts of a device with a certain MAC-address - until it has been set up by another Apple ID ?

23. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

How the hell can you even find it? Did you leave a sim card in it or what? I doubt they went and connected it to Wi-Fi.

24. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Everything I return, I make sure to wipe myself. It is your responsibility to protect your personal info.

25. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Me personally, I would and did wipe mine myself. The girl at the store I spoke with told me they would do it but I did it myself before I took it back. I just feel more comfortable and know it's been done.