WTF Apple - Just venting (And feel like writing a wall of text)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thinkpatience, Dec 17, 2010.

1. thinkpatience macrumors member

I broke my iPhone 4 twice so far, and despite what anyone says - that reception problem DID exist (Atleast with my first iPhone 4).

I bought the iPhone 4 in Late July-early August. I live around Philadelphia, my reception is always great (on my 3GS I never dropped a call - oh but I dropped the phone multiple times :rolleyes:), but that damn phone (the iPhone 4, not 3GS) dropped calls like clockwork, almost all the time. Anyways, I dropped the iPhone 4 from my sweater pouch pocket (Stupidly slipped right out) on a concrete floor and there was a tiny crack in the top right hand corner of the front display (barely noticeable). Of course my heart dropped as well, when I picked it up, I heard a rattle (the mic stopped working) so no one could hear me when I was talking. Fortunately I was able to take it to the apple store and receive a brand new one for free, this time I bought an over priced leather slip case (I hate those bulky cases, they defeat the purpose of the beautiful design) which probably only offers cosmetic protection but at least it's not as slippery in my pockets.

Phone 2, good news is that Apple must have secretly fixed the reception issue (or my first phone was faulty) but this one never drops a call. Bad news, about a month after receiving the new phone - the only day I didn't have my case (Couldn't find it). My girlfriend and I drove out to a trail to go hiking, I stepped out of the car and the phone sliped out of my jean pocket 1ft from the ground. It hit the street, and now the back glass cracked, not shattered, but a nice sized single crack down the middle that feels like it could slice my finger if I run it across with enough pressure. No internal damage (So far that I noticed), so I think I'm just going to take those screws out and find a replacement back panel. Before I do that, does anyone know how much apple charges to replace the back glass? I know Apple doesn't cover this stuff under warranty, I only got lucky the first time because I just told them the phone was faulty, I didn't mention I dropped it.

Anyways, just my luck eh.

/begin rant/
    WTF Apple, my iPhone 3GS dropped, slid down a 2 story roof, hit the ground, and showed no damage at all (Maybe a little dent). That same phone slipped out of my hand in NYC while I was drunkenly walking back to my hotel, slid from 1 side of the street to the other (no damage except some minor scratches). And dropped a countless number of other times. I bought that phone on release, and gave it to my GF when the iPhone 4 came out. It still works like a charm. :confused:
    I don't believe this high durability glass BS one bit, I only dropped my iPhone 4 twice, and both times it took major damage.
    /end rant/

Unfortunately, being the apple addict I am - iPhone 5 will be out this spring (probably). I guess I'll be purchasing that one as a replacement. I only hope that it is a little more durable.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Honestly it sounds to me like Apple figured people would take better care of their uber-expensive electronics...

Bear in mind I don't own an iPhone, so I don't know just how weak they really are, but your story seems to reveal a pattern of neglect.

4. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

From what I have heard Apple charges $29 to replace the back glass.

5. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I agree. I've had mine since the day before launch, with only a bumper style case on it (no front or back protection or screen saver or anything like that) and mine doesn't have a scratch on it. I'm definitely more careful with this one than I was with my previous 3 phones because of the front and back glass.

Honestly, you should be thrilled they replaced your phone for free when it was your fault it was broken. Not many companies would do the same.

7. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

So wait, you fraudulently received a replacement iPhone from Apple after dropping it, then dropped the replacement, and you are mad at Apple WHY?

I would suggest an Otterbox case, or learn how to secure your phone in your pocket. Do you keep your wallet in your pockets the same way? Would you blame the wallet manufacturer if it fell out of your pocket and you identity was stolen?

Man up and take care of your stuff...

Chef Jay

8. thinkpatience, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

thinkpatience thread starter macrumors member

Don't have a wallet, and if I did it would be made of leather, not smooth glass. I'm not mad at apple, the whole situation just kind of made me laugh (**** happens, it's a phone). Don't get me wrong, the iPhone and apple are both great. In my experience of every phone I've ever owned, this is the only one that can't survive a minor fall.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

It's just hard to believe that "Engineered Glass" part.

9. thinkpatience thread starter macrumors member

Oh maybe I'll just take it to them then, thanks for the info.

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, doesn't help the damn things made out of glass. Someone was smoking some good stuff when they thought of that.

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

You have to be real foolish to think the glass on iP4 is unbreakable or scratch resistant. The "Oleophobic" coating cant even resist fingerprints like they claim. That's just hyped advertising.

12. aohus macrumors 68000

Just don't buy a phone made of all glass.

I drop my droidx often. So thankful it has a sturdy rubberized exterior. Gorilla glass helps as well.

Seriously though, I was a fan of iphones until ip4. Who makes a phone made of all glass? Lol...

13. thinkpatience thread starter macrumors member

but it's so pretty! :D

....until it cracks....

Also being subscribed to Mobile Me, Running on 2 Apple Computers, Apple TV, and iTunes everything plays together nicely (Except MobileMe, it's kind of a butthead sometimes)

Didn't Macrumors recently post an article about this anyways, something like cosmetic damage is the number 1 reason for replacements for the iP4, whereas older models it was more hardware related (Something like that). I just tried to find the link, but gave up after page 3 of articles.

14. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My wife dropped ip4 on a concrete floor while stepping out of her car. Not a single scratch (she hsd Apple bumper on) while her Ericsson phone had battery jumped out of the compartment.

15. thinkpatience thread starter macrumors member

Lucky!
    Yeah, unfortunately it was literally the ONLY day I didn't have the case with me (I couldn't find it before we left). So of course I thought to myself "Oh well, I don't need it, I'm sure nothing will happen".... meh