WTF!? AT&T Reducing Data Speed For Customers Who Use OVER 3GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Jun 15, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

att.com/datainfo
    ^ read for info

i have an unlimited data plan while using my WIFI today (delayed message perhaps?) i got a text saying that ive used over 3gb of data and that at&t is going to reduce speeds for people who go over 3gb in each billing cycle

***** them

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this is old news, but yes, they throttle after 3 GBs now, even for those of us on unlimited

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

4. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

ive never received this text before and i use my phone like crazy so its weird how i got it while using wifi thism orning. i havent even used my 3g since like i dont know 15 hours ago

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That 5GB of unlimited data for 4G LTE before throttling better still be there when the new iPhone comes out..

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You must not frequent forums/read news then? :)

7. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

You don't think AT&T will pull a Verizon and say we can keep 'unlimited' but won't be eligible for subsidized pricing?

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Why would they? They have no motivation to do so.

9. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Profits? If there wasn't any motivation then why would Verizon do it?

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Unlike Verizon who only does it temporarily as needed, AT&T has, for all intents, already dropped unlimited. Offering customers the ability to keep 'Unlimited' if they buy their own phones outright would either cause AT&T to drop the 3GB limits or cause outrage when those people find out that the limit is still in place. Neither is a good solution.

It works for Verizon because they've shown that they don't care (as much as AT&T) if users use 10GB+ of data...so long as it doesn't interfere with other customers and hurt their bottom line. With that mentality, they can continue to offer unlimited - especially to those that are willing to pay Verizon extra due to the lack of a subsidy.

Figure that's an extra $400+ every 2 years that people would be paying Verizon to stay on Unlimited.