Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
My ADSL modem works fine with my peecee, but will not work on ANY of my Macs .. WTF? All I have to do is set it for DHCP (no login required, it's always on) but ONLY my Vaio will get an IP, all my Macs appear with a self-assigned IP or none at all.

What is going on ??????????????? :confused:

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: WTF?? Help!!

Originally posted by 5300cs
My ADSL modem works fine with my peecee, but will not work on ANY of my Macs .. WTF? All I have to do is set it for DHCP (no login required, it's always on) but ONLY my Vaio will get an IP, all my Macs appear with a self-assigned IP or none at all.

What is going on ??????????????? :confused:

What OS are you running? Do you have the right port setting in your network pref pane?

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
DSL modems often configure themselves with the MAC address of the computer attached to them. No other computers will work. Turn off and unplug the DSL modem for 60 seconds, plug one of your Macs into it and then turn it on. This resets the DSL modem and it should then work on your Mac. If you plan on using multiple computers with the DSL hardware all the time, you should get some sort of router. Run through the same steps, substituting the router for the Mac. The DSL modem will config itself to the router, and you can plug/unplug computers to the router without these problems.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Thanks for the advice, I ended up getting it to work again. It was working on my Vaio but not on any of my Jag machines. It was only getting a self-assigned IP. I unplugged the modem for a while and put it back in, I also deleted the Built-In Ethernet profile and made a new one- both together fixed the issue. Real annoying though :mad:

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
it was the modem itself. alot of broadband equipment is set up to work like this. its kinda like a small way to get people to buy extra IPs instead of using the same account for different machines. the turning it off and on always does the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.