wtf is up with the weak wifi signal on my iphone 3g!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 212rikanmofo, Nov 8, 2009.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Something is wrong with my wifi. It is very inconsistant and will drop from full bar down to 1 bar and then to 3G, not sure why its doing this. I have tried restoring my phone, restoring my airport extreme base station router, everything. It's not my router because my mbp and mac's are getting full signal in my house. I even tried taking my iphone next to the airport extreme but it still doesn't help. When I take my phone to work its the same deal. So it's definitely something wrong with the phone. I heard a lot of people are also having this weak wifi issue and that its a software problem? Some people are saying that the new firmware makes the wifi much more sensitive in order to preserve battery life.

Sigh this problem is so annoying, does anyone know how I can fix this, if i can that is. :mad:

2. dread macrumors 6502a

are you on the latest firmware. The iPhone 3g wifi was specifically mentioned in the release notes. Try turning off Bluetooth if you have it on. Also your phone is not going to have the same wifi range as your computer. My 3gs will drop a signal before my pc at the same distance from a router.

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

oh, yes I was running 3.0 and having this problem, then I updated to 3.1.2, still the same problem. I never use bluetooth on my phone so it's been off. I need wifi because certain apps depend on it and I can't use it if iphone keeps dropping the signal. It's so frustrating!

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just reset your network settings, it should help.