WTF is wrong with people?: Mosque edition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

South Carolina, you've got a reprieve. This week Murfreesboro, Tennessee is taking your place as a national embarrassment.

This makes me ashamed to be an American. With the exception (and that's very arguable) of the people at the end who cite concerns about traffic or home values, the objectors in this article are just dripping with bigotry. My wife and I saw this story on ABC World News tonight, and we were aghast at the amount of hate being displayed, ostensibly in the name of Jesus.

Who is, you know, the one *true* lord on whom this country was founded. :rolleyes:

Six hundred people, and not one spoke in favor of this. But more than enough comments filled with ignorance and prejudice.

Ugh. How freaking disgusting. Congratulations, Murfreesboro. You're the new national sphincter.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Words fail me.

So I'll go with yours, that's freaking disgusting.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

No, you're fighting terrorists, not muslims.

No, to be more precise, they're fighting Muslim terrorists. That's what the terrorists who are currently being fought in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere all have in common.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

"They seem to be against everything I believe in" -- I'm sure the man who said that has no idea what the differences are between Christianity and Islam, considering how similar they are.

We've been fighting Christian terrorists at home too.

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

If it gives them comfort, IRA and ETA terrorists are catholics or atheists and they destroyed more lives in Europe than muslim terrorists.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Certainly, the religion provides a commonality, much in the same way that the internet and the Sino-Russian arms manufacturers do. The religion is a weapon, misused and abused to further what are actually goals of money and power.

But, this is a commonality that doesn't necessarily extend to Muslims who live in the United States, unless we of course continue to marginalize and then attack them by treating 1 billion people as the enemy, when in reality the number of terrorists is ridiculously small.

The mosque near my house has been a horror show of community gardens, neighborhood dinners, graffiti abate projects, and the quiet and respectful shuffling of people going to Friday prayer. It's a wonder the neighborhood hasn't collapsed into paroxysms of suicide bombers.

No, the USA is not engaged in anything that can be considered a war against Christian terrorists.

The number is not ridiculously small, that statement is completely untrue.

Even in the US, there are terrorist supporters and traitors.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, if we can get the terrorists traitors to attack the terrorist supporters we shouldn't have a problem.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Enough to justify the kinds of idiotic statements made by the God-fearing Americans in this article?

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I never said we were at war with them... :confused:

And are you really suggesting that we not build any mosques in the US, or are you just trolling the thread?

13. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

OMG someone needs to tell these people it's 2010. They sound about as bad as the Phelps family (If you haven't heard of them be glad they are twisted).

These people don't know their history when it comes to religion they should read up on this history of christianity there was more bloodshed over that than all wars fought.

That would depend on the particular statements made. I might agree with some and I might disagree with some.

You're correct, you didn't say that, you said that we were fighting them.

15. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I too am horrified by what the OP posted.

What really infuriates me is the way the people with these extreme anti-islam views would no doubt think the US was the land of the free.

I live in the UK and I love some things about the US, the way your constitution guarantees freedom of speech is an amazing and beautiful thing. Yet, no doubt, the person whose jingoistic rhetoric was quoted by the OP wonders why countries with mohammedan belief systems dislike the US so much.

However if we are talking about the US constitution and system of government there is one thing about America that has always puzzled me.
    I am only mentioning it here because, as everyone knows, Mac owners are intelligent and sensible!

Why was it okay for the fledgling US to secede from our empire, yet when some parts of the States wanted to secede from America it was not?

Please don't tell me how awful slavery was/is. I know that. I just want to know how US citizens can regard seceding from the British Empire as being a commendable thing, despite it causing a war and being fundamentally treasonous. Yet when the CSA wanted to secede from the USA, the CSA wasn't allowed to?

Once more, please, please don't think I am a racist, or I approve of slavery. I am not and I don't.

It's just that it seems to me to be a bit hypocritical to think that the US leaving our empire was okay, because the majority of the population wanted it, yet when the majority of the south wanted to leave the USA and form the CSA they weren't allowed to.

doris

I haven't mentioned anything about any building of any mosques one way or the other. I am definitely against the one close to the WTC site.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I still say let them secede. Don't have a problem with that at all, as long as we get to build a wall between them and us.

18. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Precise yes, because it identifies a common trait, but that trait is not materially relevant - unless you're looking for a prejudiced soundbite. You might as well say "predominantly male terrorists", or "terrorists with BO". Yes, they're arguably more descriptive and do reveal common traits, but the extra info is irrelevant.

Since precision's your goal, it might be better to say "Terrorists following their perverted interpretation of the muslim faith".

It's not irrelevant at all. It's actually extremely important and it is a crucial element in understanding exactly what kind of wackjobs we're dealing with.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I know you didn't say anything about building the mosque. You're just coming in here with an irrelevant conflicting opinion and riling up the other posters. It's called trolling and I've found you're pretty good at it.

21. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Why, for god's sake?

I am not sure I want to be a member of this site anymore if you are.

22. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

A whackjob's a whackjob.

And we're not really dealing with them, are we? (unless you are?). Our troops overseas and law enforcement at home are dealing with them. I'm sure those good folks know exactly what they're dealing with - without our help.

23. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Why? I mean look what people have done when it came to building near Various sacred tribal grounds for indians. That's done all the time and if we do that then why can't we build a mosque? And i say "We" because muslims are people too and they make up the great fabric of this country.

God has nothing to do with this or anything else.

I'm against it because it is offensive and disgusting to be building such a religious building next to the site where thousands of people got slaughtered in the name of religion, the same religion that wants to build that offensive mosque.

The fact is that far too many Muslims are sympathetic to terrorists and I have a full right to be suspicious of any Mosques or Islam in general. Islam is currently at a very primitive stage and yes, it is associated with violence and terrorism for good reason.

This is the USA, and I don't have to embrace or like something that I find to be distasteful.

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach