WTF is wrong with people?: Silly pills edition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

:eek: (the mind boggles...just absolutely frickin' boggles!) :eek:

I almost didn't post this, not because it's not newsworthy, but because...what's debatable about it?

One of the most sickening, revolting things I've ever read in my life. :mad:

2. Motley macrumors 6502

The story is crazy enough to make me wonder if it's actually true. There've been too many stories were it all turned out to be a lie pushed by an angry parent, told by children looking for attention, and pursued by over-zealous prosecutor.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

What if its real? Children are exploited these days for Sick adults use. In this world, children have become playthings for some adults, and should pay the highest price for it. The child, can be permanently harmed, and robbed for living a normal life.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

read about this earlier today. its heartbreaking what people do to kids and other humans. makes you wonder about a lot of things in this world.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Unfortunately it's not these days. It's always been. At least these days children have legal representation and protection which they weren't afforded historically.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This is horrible if true, but I really want to know if there was any corroborating evidence other than human testimony here. The description in that article has a whiff of witch hunt about it.

Any time parents turn up with their kids telling really incredibly horrible stories of abuse at the hands of people the parents already reviled for another reason, there is reason for concern. Children are easy to coach, will readily confabulate under questioning, and yet are dead simple for a prosecutor to sell as perfectly innocent and thus perfectly reliable. On the other hand, cross-examination of a child, even suggesting things didn't happen the way he's saying, alienates the jury.

The claim of a weekly gathering of 50-100 people to watch this is what's getting to me. A town of 5,000 people is an "everybody knows everybody's business" town. You just don't hide a conspiracy of a hundred people in a community that size. The defendants couldn't even hide that they were "swingers," and presumably they didn't advertise.

Another thing: Vicodin? I suppose individual reactions may vary, but I am a full grown adult-type person, and the one thing Vicodin makes me isn't silly; it's sleepy. If I were looking to enhance the mood of a special evening, so to speak, one thing I would not be popping in my mouth is Vicodin. You start giving Vicodin to kids, my suspicion is you're going to have the unconscious kiddies show and that's about it.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic. If this really happened as described, I'm absolutely horrified. I recognize that adults absolutely do bad things to children and have done forever, and that there may have been evidence in the testimony that would clear up all my doubts, but what little I've heard makes me wonder if maybe some unpopular people weren't railroaded.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If true, this is horrific, however I agree that "these days" is a nonsensical statement. It's been going on since time began. Victorian London was a particularly vile place and time for unfortunate children.

At least the kids in TX have legal recourse and access to counseling. Something that didn't exist in the "good old days".

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am very glad you did post it, Thomas Veil. The story was totally off my radar. I suppose that is due to focusing on social, political and economic stories. This is so disgusting, it defies any possible civilized way to digest it. Only in Texas. I recall a 60 minutes show about private game preserves in Texas. In one scene, it shows a private hunting ranch. There was a large pond, which the owner had constructed a a quick drop blind. Behind it were a large number of 'city hunters'. They set out many decoys, but also other enticements, which the show said were illegal, anywhere on public lands. Soon, a very large flock of Canadian Geese landed in the pond. I do not recall if they ever said how many. At the right moment, the blind was dropped, and these animals all open fired. It was a slaughter. None escaped. the pond was littered with their corpses. The Texans were hooting and hollering. They were jumping up and down, high-fiving each other. The geese were scooped up and hauled away to a rendering plant. There was not even a pretext that they lost their lived to provide food.

This was the most disgusting story I had ever imagined. That is until you posted yours. Yes, yours takes the cake, I am sorry to say. Someone had a signature which goes something like "Texas: Illegally obtained, Universally admired". What a laugh. What is closer is " ...... Universally despised..:"