WTF is wrong with people version 394323459235320574205455

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Oct 10, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.break.com/index/veteran-cuts-down-mexican-flag.html

I know I probably don't have the popular opinion here, but what the hell gives someone else the right, veteran or not, to destroy someone else's property like that? I don't care if having the Mexican flag above the American flag is illegal (which, IMO, is a stupid law, what ever happened to freedom of expression?), I think the guy crossed a line there. I saw this link on another forum, and everyone, just like in the comments on that video, is backing the vet. But it's not legal to key an illegally parked car, nor is it legal to throw a brick through the window of an illegal establishment (say, I dunno, a whore house....best example I can come up with at 1 in the morning :D). And it's not legal to put a bullet through the skull of a drug dealer who is posing no immediate threat to anyone. So why is this situation any different?

Discuss.

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

The guy was a nut. The camera man was not better.

If this is what passes for journalism colour me confused. No wonder Bush and his merry men can exploit the fears of honest people like they do.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, common sense should tell you that if you're living in a country that's feeding your family, you shouldn't be flying your own national flag over theirs. It's just really poor taste...like Cleveland's LeBron James wearing that Yankees cap to the Indians game the other day. :p

That said, you can't force patriotism (or good taste) on someone. So any law that says it's illegal to fly any other flag above ours is not only unconstitutional, but just plain stupid as well.

The guy had a right to fly the Mexican flag on top if he wanted to, whether I or anybody else likes it. And the vet had a right to be disgusted by it. And that should have been the end of the story.

However, the vet sounds like an angry guy with issues. Good thing he didn't come across someone burning the flag. Probably would've shot him.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I still don't, and will never understand flag worship.

Who cares if someone chooses to fly the flag of their country of birth. Who cares in what order the flags are flown?

I am not offended by that situation (Mexican flag over American flag) in the least, and anybody who is offended is pretty pathetic, in my opinion. The vet is completely in the wrong here. He had absolutely no right to destroy someone's property just because he found offense to it.

If he is free to do that, then I think I will go slash the tires on every SUV and truck I see. They are offensive to me and to the earth. Then I think I'll go bomb that creation "museum". It is an offense to intelligence.

What I'd like to see is the owners of that bar/restaurant (?) sue the guy for destruction of property.

And anyway, I'd imagine that the people flying the flags had no idea about the (ridiculous) law in the first place.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't see why, if he had such a problem with it, he couldn't just have called the authorities. Maybe he didn't know it was illegal, as apparently the flag owners didn't. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, but neither is vigilantism. He could have just said something too, that the other flag could have been underneath ours. As it stands, it reeks of racism and I can't helping thinking the vet forgot what he was really fighting for. Freedom. Not a symbol.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i can't see how anyone can defend the action of this thug.

unfortunately morons are abundant in every walk of life, and veterans are no exception.

7. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I have a tendency to believe that the whole thing was staged. It seemed a little too convenient that they'd have a news camera there just to record video of the flags.

I saw on Glenn Beck or some trash like that that he was praising the guy for "taking back America." His actions were nothing short of stupid, and it's a good thing nobody around there decided to cause a physical altercation. I can understand being passionate about the flag, patriotism, and being an American (especially from a veteran) but that doesn't give him any sort of license to disregard another person's property.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

This guy, a veteran, fought in a war for the United States where he probably saw some of his best friends have limbs torn off or worse. Who knows the emotional scarring he endured. After his life was permanently altered from the gruesome images of war he saw, he took offense to someone flying the flag of their home country over the flag of a country that was providing this shop owner with an economic opportunity not provided to him in his home country. It's like LeBron wearing a Yankees hat, but on a larger level, it's just plain disrespectful considering what this veteran went through that afforded this man the opportunity to be providing for his family.

That said, I probably wouldn't do the same in the situation, but I think it's a little bit cold-hearted to villify this man, and an opposing viewpoint can't hurt.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That still doesn't make the way he went about it ok.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

"what are you trying to accomplish?"

Well douche I don't know, you come over here and decrease the Mexican flag, then steal someone else's property.

Stupid racist inbreed red-neck.

That doesn't give that douche a right to be a racist cock.

P.S. I am flying my Norwegian and Canadian flags. I'd like to see him come to my place.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

See my last paragraph. I was just presenting a backdrop for my actual opinion on the subject.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I see what you were getting at and was not making a response TO you.:eek:

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I was actually replying to solvs, and I guess to you since my comment fit in well.

All I'm saying is put yourself in the veteran's shoes. I don't think we should villify him as much as is happening.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Right, but your but had a but.

We aren't vilifying him. We're vilifying his actions. He didn't fight for a symbol, he fought for what the symbol stands for. It's not about opposing viewpoints, he disagreed with something and took the law into his own hands, breaking the law himself. If he had a problem with it, he could have just called the authorities himself. Or, you know, said something to the guy.

You can believe what you want, but he broke the law, what he is doesn't change that.

15. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

What annoys me is all the veterans who claim they're fighting for our freedom. But when someone uses that freedom to criticize the government or the military, they're the first to come out and shut them up

16. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

When I was in college, the frat next door to my dorm was flying their frat flag above the US flag. I remember a senior ROTC cadet saw the offense and went up to the flag pole without permission and brought the flags down. He then put them back up in the proper order and walked off. Just a related story that really doesn't have a point.

17. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I had never thought of it that way, but you are right. Of course if you've given a huge part of your life (physically, emotionally, psychologically) to anything, you are going to see a higher level of dedication and defensiveness, even if it doesn't make sense. Like in school, I saw some classmates spend weeks pursuing an idea putting their heart and soul into it, and when they are done, a teacher will within minutes find many little mistakes or things that would never work. But the student had spent such an incredible amount of time on it, they aren't willing to accept anything the teacher said. Humans defend the unreasonable all the time for lots of different reasons.

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Now for that student imagine she had seen atrocities, blood, flying limbs, and some of her best friends dying while she was in the process of completing her project.

Again, I'm not saying it's right, that's what some of you people don't get. All I'm saying is the guy has obviously been through a lot in his life to protect America, so he got super-defensive. Get off his case. We know what the shop owner did and what the veteran did were illegal, it's not like anyone was hurt, so calm down.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

That doesn't give him a right to destroy another persons property. Just because he fought in a war doesn't make him this untouchable figure that can't be criticized.

Also, it's likely the war he fought in wasn't to defend/protect America, but to invade and terrorize a local population so large corporations can profit from weapons sales.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

21. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Nuts is one way of describing him, here in Ireland we usually say "feckin mad" .. ;)

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I do hate Freedoms, what can I say.

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You must be dense! I never said it did, I KEEP saying that what he did was illegal and not right, I'm just telling people merely to stop villifying him so much because I think his experience should be taken into account...

It seems like others touched on the last part of your post.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry- I'm gonna get all over his case. Isn't freedom of expression one of the things he supposedly fought for? If he doesn't want to live in a free country, he needs to go fight somebody else's wars.

And while I have plenty of friends and family (my cousin is about to head over there too) fresh back from Iraq who've seen penty of s***, I doubt any of them would have done that.

And watch comments like "You must be dense". They make you look childish and are verging on breaking the rules around here. I have to say- from what I've seen of you so far in this forum, I'm not impressed at all by the manner in which you handle yourself.

25. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

That's just sick. Plus the camera crew had to rub it in by harassing the guy.