Wtf no way from apple!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bilalo, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

I read this and wtf if they do this I will bot get iphones anymore... Seriously why?

Apple has been granted a patent that would make your smartphone useless when entering an area deemed too sensitive for mobile photo and video.

The technology, if implemented, would likely be welcomed by many. It could, for example, be extremely useful to Hollywood executives worried about mobile-savvy bootleggers and teachers concerned about less-than-honest students.

But it also has some darker potential implications. Recent political and populist movements — most notably the Arab Spring — have relied heavily on the power of mobile devices and social media. Disabling protesters’ ability to record police actions or other events would be a powerful controlling force.

And photo and video aren’t the only things that might be restricted. The patent, granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office in late August, would force devices to go to sleep entirely after entering certain areas. That means no Twitter, no Facebook, no calling, no texting.

Apple, for its part, lays out a reasonable argument in favor of the technology:

As wireless devices such as cellular telephones, pagers, personal media devices and smartphones become ubiquitous, more and more people are carrying these devices in various social and professional settings. The result is that these wireless devices can often annoy, frustrate, and even threaten people in sensitive venues. For example, cell phones with loud ringers frequently disrupt meetings, the presentation of movies, religious ceremonies, weddings, funerals, academic lectures, and test-taking environments.

Nonetheless, giving governments, businesses and network carriers the ability to geofence locations and make them smartphone wastelands would open a Pandora’s Box of questions if implemented.

Should this technology be included in a future iPhone? Why or why not? Share your take in the comments.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/09/apple-patent-disable-cameras/

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There would have to be an override if they want to remain in the smart market of businesses that they have entered and have any desire to grow and take over the place BB held.

On the other hand, I read something like this a long time ago where concert venues want to be able to disable cell phone cameras so people cannot snap photos or videos of the shows. I call this greed at the highest level. Considering the price of the ticket, if I want a ****ing video of a song or a pic of the stage then I intend to take it.

Finally, lets leave the bots out of this, they did nothing to us.

4. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

This seems like one of those situations where an innovation has plenty of legitimate and worthwhile uses, but unfortunately might have darker applications if used by the wrong people. So, it will really be about how the tech is implemented and who gets to use it.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

6. wharzhee macrumors 6502

Can't you already do that if the place of interest is a huge shielded room? Hahaha

7. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

I think i have the right to use what i have wherever i am...

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

There are plenty of things you cannot use in certain places....How often would this really affect you? Personally, if would have zero impact on me.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Sounds like a great idea for government or high security areas.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

While I find this disturbing, I am not surprised.

This is the logical progression of Apple's ongoing work to keep it's customers locked into the walled garden. Monitor their activities & buying habits so as to sell them more & more Apple products & services.

By couching this development in clever language designed to make it seem in the customers best interest, their fans will think its wonderful.

In turn this empowers Apple to prove to it's behind the scenes clients outside of the retail sector, that Apple has the ability to collect and sell them even more personal data unique to each customer. Harvesting this data is a huge business. One which will pay Apple handsomely.

There are many other uses for this technology besides simply restricting where your iPhone will or will not work.

Look at the first response after the OP's post. "you're overacting". This speaks volumes about the blind trust that a huge segment of Apples customers place in them. Instead of healthy skepticism... they instantly side with Apple like lemmings. Apple knows this and leverage it to their benefit.

11. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Even if you're in a cinema or theatre etc.? ...or in a place that operating transmitting and receiving equipment might put yours or other's lives in jeopardy.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Seriously though, you never know when an emergency would occur. If I was in a movie and couldn't receive a phone call during an emergency I would be pissed! The same way IOS6 will have the ignore feature, but you can tweak it in case someone calls twice....this would have to work the same way. Obviously I wouldn't answer the call, but I would like to know someone is trying to call me.

13. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Like the arab spring thing, people have the right for freedom of speech, you have the right to prevent taking videos in gov facilities, but that just means u allow corruption and no one can piblicly show it... And so many other reasons like cinema really? What about if my mother died while i'm in there, so dumb... They block vids and pics but also signals.. As wel as internet :/

14. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

NO. You do not. What makes you think your rights supersede everyone else’s

15. Siggen macrumors 6502

Blah Blah Blah, this is just patent hugging from Apple.
    They do this just if in any case it will catch on (they ponder the future you know), they will rake inn some money.

[​IMG]

16. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't, every1 has the right to take a pic with their iphone wherever they go -_- and they shudnt be going to govt facilities

17. Cod3rror, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That would be really bad if they implemented that.

Companies want more and more control over their customers, just look at gaming consoles, DLCs, downloadable games that you don't actually own, etc...

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

19. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Again, no they do not.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I work mostly in a courtroom....can't take pics or use my phone in there....no one can

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Thread moved to PRSI as it has the potential to move quickly in political/social issues directions. This allows a bit more latitude in the kind of responses we can allow, but restricts users with few posts from contributing to the thread.

B

22. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I got told off for taking a picture of a painting in an art gallery recently, it was quite confusing, some rooms you could take photos, in others you couldn't. Depends if the artist had given permission apparently.

But the idea you have the right to use your camera wherever you are is long gone.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I see three levels of usage.

As a Desirable Feature:

This would be welcomed by all the people who want to use iPhones while at work, but cannot do so because of restrictions against cameras etc.

For People who Ignore Rules:

Classrooms, churches, funeral homes, theatres, galleries, concerts, hospital sections, courtrooms, all currently have signs that ask, "Please turn off your phone". This would simply enforce that rule without needing guards, confiscation, or using local jammers.

For Censorship:

This is the obvious concern, especially if the government can set up new areas on the fly. Being able to easily disable cameras during an arrest or protest clearly is a bad idea for civil liberties. (*)

Wry comment: Fortunately, Apple likes to keep their patents to themselves. All the Windows Phone, Android and dumbphone users will be able to continue to exercise their rights.

(*) Of course, in the case of war or actual rebellion, any government can shut down mass communication. That's on a different level than this.

24. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a rule and if you break it there is a fine, but apple said they will reatrict signal and camera... So no phone calls and internet and whatever... We lived all these yeara not being allowed to take pictures of this and that, we arent robots, we don't need them to block the signal... Imagine your wife got a heart attack while your in the movie, u won't know till your out because of no signal -_-

----------

Then people don't use it... Apple doesnt have to be the one blocking it... The room itself should have signalless walls not apples phone... And u can't take every case, maybe for urs its important but not others.

GUYS I'M IN LOVE WITH APPLE BUT DONT SIDE WITH THEM OVER THIS THING ITS PLAIN DUMB...

When we drive in roads, theres a speed limit, we choose to follow it if not we get fined... Do u also want the government to put under the roads some special thing that makes your car never go over the speed limit -_- let us get fines !!

25. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Seeing as you actually have no idea as to how they're going to implement this, if at all, I have to say you're strongly overreacting. Apple has a history of patenting things they never implement, and and even if they were planning to implement it, if it violated the law it would be stopped immediately.