WTF?? Now the COUNCIL can see who I'm texting???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

From the BBC

Anyone else getting utterly and totally sick to death of this Government's need to spy on us all? And the ridiculous anecdotal examples they give as to why this intrusion into our lives is necessary? :mad:

I swear, it's enough to make you want to vote Tory!!!

2. sananda macrumors 68020

labour are proving themselves to be rather right wing.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, to your answer!:mad:

"Say some old lady has got difficulties with someone who's repaired the gas in her house and has a mobile phone for somebody who's clearly dodgy,"
    Oh I see, so they are actually doing it for our own good! :rolleyes: :mad: Amazing how far an apathetic population can let a control hungry government go…
    Mind you, Tories are certainly not going to be any better… :eek:

4. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

What annoys the hell out of me is the way they insist on building these hidden databases left, right and centre about every aspect of our lives, all with the aim of pulling it into one huge megabase linked to their utterly ineffectual ID card scheme. I know telephone communications in the UK have always had the possibility of being listened in on by GCHQ, but now it seems just about any public body in the country is able to get this information. That, the CCTV and all the other bits of snooping they're carrying out has totally crossed the line. And if it weren't for people such as Shami Chakrabarti making a noise about it, the majority of it would just happen under the radar.

The day I finally give up my UK residency and permanently settle in Spain can't come soon enough.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The day I finally give up my US residency and permanently settle anywhere else can't come soon enough. ;)

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Quoted for thinking exactly what I was.

The day I graduate college I'm sending off my residence application to Quebec. Less than two years left. So far away :(

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Will you take me with you? Please? ;)

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Our civil liberties are certainly going the way of the toilet. Perhaps a change of government will help? Mhmm, we'll see. Cameron wants to scrap ID cards and add prison spaces in his latest rant - which is fine by me, but I can't help but think that the Tories would have used Terrorism to erode civil liberties in their own way.

I plan on leaving the UK, too, but I fear that eventually all governments will push through more and more 1984-style legislation.

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, count me in too. Not because I hate the US, but because I love Quebec.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Same here. I would love to retire in Montreal or QC. It's nice and cold up there, which I love.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Yep, same with me - college is the only thing holding me back from living somewhere else. I don't hate the US, I just would enjoy something else better, for now.

It also partially depends on who's our next president. I hope it doesn't come down to a Rudy vs Hillary vote :eek:

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm out no matter who wins. Kucinich (my favored candidate) could win and I'd still get out of here as quick as possible. Four years of even a half-decent candidate don't even come close to fixing the problems with this country.

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Steady on man! It's not quite that bad. Yet.

My mobile phone is a pay as you go one, I bought the phone and the SIM card and I was off – no contract, no details taken or anything. I suppose then that there's nothing to link my name to my mobile, so does this mean that I'll be able to embark on a crime spree with my phone?

Really though, what would stop criminals, terrorists or – worse of all – dodgy gas fitters acquiring phones that don't have their details attached to them?

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not when an indefatigable MacRumors moderatrix has your mobile number. ;)

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That proves nothing – except that you're a likely accomplice. ;)

16. calculus Guest

calculus

Just what are you two planning?

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ah. Oops... <puts phone on eBay>

I'm fed up with all this stuff going on too... ID cards and biometrics, don't get me started. In some ways, I'm glad I'll be dead in 50 years or so. Honestly.

18. Lau Guest

Now, now, that's like saying that it would be possible to commit dastardly terrorist activity when you have a small amount of shower gel outside a plastic bag! Or, you know, having to show photo ID as you get on a domestic plane, because hardened criminals wouldn't have access to fake passports.

I was reading about a TV documentary the other day on a fairly sensitive subject in which they threw away each sim card after every call to leave no trail – I think if TV crews know about this, criminals and terrorists will. Yet another thing that screws the general public over without actually doing anything...

Honestly? Yeah, me too. I keep getting broody these days, but one of the things that brings me back to my senses is that I'm not sure what kind of world I'd be letting them in for. :(

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Er... nothing at all... although we're looking for a driver if you're interested? Preferably one who knows a bit about fitting gas pipes?

20. calculus Guest

calculus

OK, text me the details...

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't worry. You'll barely notice the government snooping.

Besides, if you aren't doing anything wrong, what's the problem? :rolleyes:

22. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I know you're just being sarcastic, but here's an opportunity to give an example. I've just spent the last three years of my life battling the Inland Revenue on a tax investigation. The Inspector assigned to the investigation was incredibly petty, vindictive and downright rude on many occasions, especially to my solicitor. For three years he demanded different answers to questions that I'd already answered because it didn't fit his preconceptions, threatened me for not providing information he already had and generally trying to bully me into submitting just because he was in a position where he was able to. As a result the thought of anyone in a public body having access to personal information scares the **** out of me, because literally all it takes is one civil servant with an attitude and they can make your life hell.

As for the investigation, as soon as another pair of eyes in the Revenue saw all the evidence I and my accountant had provided they immediately closed it, which pretty much proves that the original inspector was stringing the whole thing along just because he could. Now imagine this POS having access to my phone, health, travel, and any other records he wished on top of financial stuff. How much worse could it have got?

No. Not happening to me. One of the main reasons I won't be in the UK much longer.

23. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Shame about Sir Menzies Campbell, because under Charles Kennedy I would have voted Lib Dem.

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I thought I just left the US. :confused:

Lovely.

<Cue retinal scan for submit reply>

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Did no one in your or our gov read 1984 or V for Vendetta? Don't they realize people will be unhappy about this? They aren't popular enough to pull this crap off anymore. They barely were before.