Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angevil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Who is crazy here???? This is unbelievable and unacceptable!! It is more than 1000$ for a 32GB model. For that price, no, I won′t be buying the new iPhone.

xdifrp.png

http://www.cellularizzati.net/2010/07/25/i-prezzi-di-iphone-4-con-tim-ricaricabile/

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
It's the fully unlocked version.....
The 16GB iPhone 4 is selling for 499 poundsterling in the UK so I wouldn't be too surprised at that price.

Remember, the beauty for being in Europe (and Canada... and Aussie) is that if you want to save money and don't mind getting tied in contract, you can go to your carrier (TIM, 3, or Vodafone) and get it for a subsidized price.

That 659 and 779 Euro you quoted above is probably for the fully unlocked version straight from Apple Store...

Be thankful you're not a world traveler based in the US where you can only get a LOCKED iPhone 4 with 2 years contract... and even if you PAID full price for the phone, that damn thing is still LOCKED to AT&T.

angevil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
It is a lot more than an unlocked 3G was 2 years ago. The price went up and the iPhone is now made of glass so it′s more probable to break. Then there is the antenna issue, which doesn′t really bother me that much. But it makes me sad that it needs to go into a case. And at that price I can′t really consider it. Ahh.. :(

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
I bought an unlocked iPhone 4 16gb for £500 (about $770). For me it was a simple decision. The 18 month iphone specific contracts on most networks are extremely poor value. I have a rolling monthly contract with O2 that gives me more minutes, more texts, larger data allowance and with the benefit I can leave the contract anytime. The total cost of ownership over 18months would be almost exactly the same and the phone is worth slightly more because it is unlocked.

Schweitzer

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
Remember, the beauty for being in Europe (and Canada... and Aussie) is that if you want to save money and don't mind getting tied in contract, you can go to your carrier (TIM, 3, or Vodafone) and get it for a subsidized price.

I don't think that you actually can save money this way, you just pay over an extended course of time.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I don't think that you actually can save money this way, you just pay over an extended course of time.

The point I'm trying to make is that in other places, you have choices to either buy the unlocked phone outright or if you don't mind getting tied in a contract, you can do so as well.

In contrary to the US where you have no choice but to get the phone with 2 years contract...

dast1g

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Ireland
I payed €750 for my 32GB unlocked iPhone 4 because it was out in the north of Ireland before the south (where I live).The phone is going to be released this week in Ireland and I say I would have payed about €100 less to be stuck with one carrier but the wait was unbearable :p
Edit: it was well worth the price tag not 1 problem with my 4 :)

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
That's an increase of €80 compared to the 3GS which were €699 for the 32GB version.
The UK saw a price bump of about £50 (if someone has the exact figure, please insert as appropriate) from the 16GB 3GS to 16GB 4. Any further discrepancy between the British and Italian prices are accounted for in the extra 2.5% of VAT and Apple's lack of faith in the relative position of the Euro versus USD.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I bought an unlocked iPhone 4 16gb for £500 (about $770). For me it was a simple decision. The 18 month iphone specific contracts on most networks are extremely poor value. I have a rolling monthly contract with O2 that gives me more minutes, more texts, larger data allowance and with the benefit I can leave the contract anytime. The total cost of ownership over 18months would be almost exactly the same and the phone is worth slightly more because it is unlocked.

This! But with Vodafone @ £20 per month and a 32 GB model. It cost me £600 but I sold my 3GS for £330 (£290 after fees).

Next year, rinse and repeat! A relatively cost-effective, sustainable cycle.

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
There are plenty of really nice phones which are much less than the iPhone. I really don't believe that Apple is the be all and end all of telecommunication. I have had quite a few "regular" phones which did a lot of things like: photos, video clips, texting, MP3 players and other add ons, and they were well under $80.

Do you ever get deals over there on certain phones? We get periodic big deals on things like Blackberry's and some androids. Those honestly do have a lot going for them and can be a lot less than iPhone.

angevil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
The price is still too high for an unlocked iPhone. Compared to the price of MacBooks..

It seems European iPhone 4 buyers are paying for ″free″ bumpers for American customers.

779 EUR???? 1012 USD???? REALLY????? This is a monthly salary for a regular guy in many European countries. They should cut the price for a 100 EUROS and it would be more acceptable. This is just outrageous.

Oh, and don′t give me that ″ooh we Americans are so unhappy to be tied to at&t″ crap. Locked or unlocked, the new iPhone is overpriced here in Europe and that is a fact. Great laptops are cheaper than that.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
The price is still too high for an unlocked iPhone. Compared to the price of MacBooks..

It seems European iPhone 4 buyers are paying for ″free″ bumpers for American customers.

779 EUR???? 1012 USD???? REALLY????? This is a monthly salary for a regular guy in many European countries. They should cut the price for a 100 EUROS and it would be more acceptable. This is just outrageous.

Oh, and don′t give me that ″ooh we Americans are so unhappy to be tied to at&t″ crap. Locked or unlocked, the new iPhone is overpriced here in Europe and that is a fact. Great laptops are cheaper than that.

You know you are getting free bumpers too... right...
Again, if you want to get it cheaper just get it from carriers with contract....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed, it does seem rather expensive. But then again, no one is forcing you to buy it. If you feel it is too expensive, then get another phone.

Wegee

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Well, it's expensive but it's unlocked.
The worst things are actually the voice/data plans, it's unofficial but this will be 99% the offer from TIM (the main carrier here in Italy):

500 min/month 29€ with any smartphone, add 20€* for the iphone 4 = 49€
1000 min/month 49€ with any smartphone, add 20€* for the iphone 4 = 69€
1500 min/month 69€ with any smartphone, add 20€* for the iphone 4 = 89€

* probably 15€ for the 16gb, 20€ for the 32gb

No SMS: if you want 200sms add 5€/month
No DATA: if you want internet, add 8€/month for 1Gb

So, doing some math:
62€/month the cheapest
82€/month the standard
102€/month the most expensive

...and we don't know the entry ticket yet.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
And I thought AT&T was a ripoff :eek: Though for non-power users the ability to get no / a small data plan might end up saving them a lot more.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Wow you really are that ignorant?:rolleyes:
You think the price is because of us customers bumpers? Your clearly trolling.
You don't like the price you don't buy it.
Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.