WWDC just became political

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by the8thark, Jun 5, 2017.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

WWDC just became political with Tim Cook announcing the Obama fireside chat.

Tim Cook is basicaly kissing her feet with his glowing few words about her. Whether you agree with Tim Cook or whether you disagree and think she is a terrible influence on the US nation, she should not be at WWDC. WWDC is a developer conference, not a political rally.

This is Democrat Tim Cook pushing his political views on the developers at WWDC. I think it's a scumbag move by Tim Cook. I really hate Tim Cook for doing this. Tim Cook can play politics but keep it off Apple time.

WWDC is about the developers. Put the developers first, not Tim Cook's Democrat agenda.
    PS. Even if Tim Cook was Republican, I'd say the same thing. Keep all politics out of WWDC.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Not gonna happen. Tim is deep into the Dem agenda.

3. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

That's very unfortunately, very true.

4. Zwopple macrumors regular

Michelle Obama is an outstanding woman and she's not talking politics she's talking about how everyone can do their best to change the world and empower people to do so how can this possibly be a bad thing?

5. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

That is very debatable. You can argue for or against that and depending on how the evidence is spun she can be made to sound like a saint or a sinner. The reality is really someone in the middle. A decent person with some decent life experiences but also very flawed.

Tim Cook could have chosen another powerful woman (that's not politically biased) to be the fireside chat speaker. Tim could have and should have . . . but he won't.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So Michelle Obama can never be anything other than a political speaker forever? Even though she has never held an elected office? I'm not buying that. Not buying that at all. I think you are the one making things political here before the event even happens. I will wait until I hear what she says before jumping to preconceived conclusions.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What do you consider her biggest flaw?

8. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

I think I need to explain this.
    You don't have to hold a political office to be political. Tim Cook has never held any political office but his Democrat agenda is clear for all to see.

Also even if you pretend that the speaker choice was not politically buased, I still say she is not a good role model for aspiring and up and coming developers. Tim Cook should have chosen someone else.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What exactly has she done to change the World?
    Besides an unsuccessful twitter hashtag campaign and ruining school lunch for children.[​IMG]

10. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

I would say intolerance to equality. But that's just one of many.

I'm ok if this topic becomes a debate on the merits of Obama. It just proves she is not someone who is universally agreed upon as a role model and inspirational for the developers at WWDC.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Demonstrated by ...?

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Do you think she is a bad role model?

13. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Michelle Obama had a high approval rating across the political spectrum during Obama's Presidency.

14. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

http://freedomoutpost.com/the-radic...michelle-obama-were-not-talking-about-barack/
    30 seconds on google and I found articles on the subject.

If you insist later I can find more mainstream (but potentially less factual) sources for this also if you want.

As proved with the Trump election, approval ratings and polls don't show what the public true attitudes and feelings towards something. Anyone can cherry pick a few people to agree or disagree with anything.

15. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Don't we have to consider your source? It does seem very right wing, thus they may have a particular view of Michelle Obama over another.

Michelle Obama is a private citizen, so if anything wouldn't you be the one making this political?

16. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

That's the whole point, should have chosen someone who is universally accepted as a good role model.

So is Tim Cook but his agenda is clear for all to see. He publically shares it with the world and the Apple employees.

17. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

going to have to step in for Michelle here.
    https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2014/12/04/decking-national-christmas-tree-codes-jolly
    not a single problem with what Michelle is pushing NONE.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Michelle Obama tends to be reasonably apolitical except in issues of gender and racial equality. That's fine with me.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

22. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Thank you for creating this thread

it was edited, and then deleted in the WWDC thread but...

but ill pose nearly the exact same rhetorical question, that NO ONE can answer, unless the response is sidetracking my question by calling me racist and other names, simply because they don't like my skepticism and opinions:

What does having former FLOTUS have ANYTHING to do with WWDC?
    Is she going to talk iPad technical details or show us more iOS 11 features?

What should I be feeling, if not confusion/anger by being forced by hand to bow down out of love to the former FLOTUS at a tech event, that has ZERO place for politics? Historically, and subject matter wise.

How random and awkward is it having her appear? Am I supposed to be enthused? Or apathetic? Or what? What is going on?

Tim Cook wants to be a politician, great. We can all see that by now. It's time to stop running the world's largest company in the world, and start activism or being a politician.

He can't have it both ways,

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There was a time in the 90s when people looked at the eEverything/iEverything tech industry with a naive optimism and saw it as an apolitical force for good that would solve the world's thorniest problems.

Nowadays, with Trump attempting to govern by Twitter decree - and the concept of news in its classic sense having been overwhelmed by the expression and uncritical acceptance of electronically-expressed and disseminated individual opinion or assertion - you're living in a fantasy land if you think we can keep politics out of tech.

Nothing is more political than Silicon Valley these days. What could possibly make you think otherwise?

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sadly too many will see it as political no matter what is said, I may wish her hubby was in jail, but Michelle does seem to care a lot about education . this is par for the course for her, she is consistent in this matter so kudos.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Jesus Christ couldn't get that job these days. You happen not to like Cook's choice, that's all. Good to know.