WWII Vet Fought to Cast his Last Vote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If this doesn't make you want to get those who don't think it is worth it to get off their lazy arses and vote, they don't deserve to enjoy the fruits and freedoms this government (U.S.) provides.

Read, and enjoy.

Source

I've included the picture for imagery:

[​IMG]

I would leave a parting comment, but I don't think much more can be said without getting more political. So I'll leave it for now, with "Thank you, Mr. Tanabe, and RIP." (title of Mr. because I wasn't sure of his rank).

BL.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's a great story and very relative during this period of American divisiveness.

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Thanks.

I'm going to slightly bring politics into this now and say that another article did mention that if he died before the election, it is possible that his vote woe not count as he was not alive on election day. States have varying laws regarding this, but it does bring up a scary precedent. If someone active in the military votes either by absentee or early voting, and is killed in the line of duty before the election, it is possible that their vote would not count.

I'll pull up that link next I'm back at my Mac.

BL.

4. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

It was a wonderful article to read. Thanks for sharing. Regardless who he voted for, he exercised what he fought for til the very end.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wouldn't "fruits of freedom" include the freedom to not vote?

6. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My father-in-law died on Nov 1st. He cast his absentee ballot from Hospice.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is a really impressive - and also, a rather moving and quite magnificent story; thanks for posting it, OP. A lovely piece, and yes, an inspiring one, too.

Of course, it serves to remind us all again - and we do need reminding - of the privilege, and hard fought, and indeed hard won right to cast a ballot, and how we should cherish, defend and assiduously avail of that right whenever an election is called.

For much of recorded history, most men, and almost all women had absolutely no say in deciding or determining those who were to rule over them, and govern them. Irrespective of electoral outcomes and results, the right to have a say in who gets to rule is a huge thing and should be cherished and taken very seriously.

In an earlier life, I used to teach politics and the intellectual indifference and sheer mental laziness of some of my students ("they're all the same") political choices infuriated me. My view is that such casual complacency has no place in a functioning democracy with an actively engaged citizenry, and to not choose to make a preference is a grossly irresponsible act, a dereliction of one's responsibilities as a citizen.

I have worked in countries which held their first free election while I was there to observe and record it, and photographed long, polite, quiet, patient queues standing in the freezing cold outside polling stations at 7. a.m. which I subsequently showed to my students. I have also worked in countries where opposition activists were harassed, bullied, beaten and arrested merely for campaigning, while those who voted for them were sometimes fired from their jobs. Two years ago, while observing a presidential election in a disgraceful dictatorship, I spoke at length with two of the presidential candidates the day before polling day. Both were arrested (along with almost all of the candidates for the position of president)- and one of them is still in prison - immediately after the count concluded.

We live in a world where the rights we have won, and rightly esteem, sometimes seem to run the risk of being taken for granted. No. Instead we should exercise vigilance where such valuable rights are concerned, and prudence and responsibility and thought when exercising them.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If someone dies before Election Day, does their early vote even count? I mean, can't a case be made for fraud, since the voter is deceased?

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It depends on their state. I think in the case of the man in the OP's article, technically it shouldn't count. But since the outer envelope for most absentee ballots contain no identification, there is no way to easily identify his ballot before its opened on Election Day. Only if the county finds his ballot before receiving an official death certificate will they not count it.

I agree though that the laws should be changed to allow anyone who is able to cast a ballot during the eligibility period should have a counted vote.

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

What about people that did early voting at a poll and died from an accident? Those are no different.

11. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

That's the problem. It would still vary from state to state. Those laws wouldn't care if the person who died was retired military, active military, active killed in the line of duty, or civilian.

That is the problem.

BL.

12. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Awesome post - thanks....

So many take our freedoms for granted.