Wyclef, Wyclef, Wyclef...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Aug 4, 2010.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2008588,00.html

Surprised no one has posted this yet.

I won't pretend that I know more than any given person about Haiti, but I have heard it is among the more corrupt countries. If a figure such as Wyclef Jean could actually improve the conditions of Haiti, then I think he should go for it!

It would be interesting to see how a corrupt government would respond in a situation such as that.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sean Penn could be VP. He's been doing terrific stuff there, I hear.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

He could give Haiti that "boom boom pow" that its been missing.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Joking aside this could be an excellent move for the country. Wyclef is pretty much the most widely-known Haitian on the planet. The media attention he can command would open a large number of doors and ensure that a greater percentage of the "pledged" aid from developed nations actually appears. As a wealthy man already he's also far better equipped to escape the corruption that leaders of poverty stricken countries regularly fall into.

Although it will take a generation to get Haiti evened out let alone turn it into a working stable modern state electing him as president could provide that important first step in the country's recovery.

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I herd an interview with this guy on NPR, he sounded like a joke to me.

I think it was Terry Gross doing the interview, and she asked him a few questions about problems within his foundation (the relatively high amount of money spent on administrative work etc.)

He got super flaky and aggressive about the whole topic, I was not impressed.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Remember that up until now he's only had the heavily stage-managed celeb interviews to contend with. If you go into one of those unprepared your manager simply prevents certain questions being asked. With political interviews you need to put the work in, something he'll very quickly have to learn.

Give him a few weeks and see what sort of candidate he is then. If he's a Palin we'll know soon enough.

8. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Agreed.

Even if he is not the "best" man for the job, he would still be head and shoulders above what they have now, simply because of the accountability his public figure status requires of him.